Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Smoked Meat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459895)

Klompy 07-28-2007 04:55 PM

Re: Smoked Meat

GHL,

Thanks for sharing your recipe, this thread has more potential if people start writing these up. Oddly I have a pork loin and baked beans on my smoker right now. I'm curious what you do with your beans, as I'm pretty proud of the ones I make but don't really have a recipe but am willing to kind of guess here soon in another post.

Also, for wood I haven't smoked anything other then oak yet as I have a huge pile of it in the back yard. Does wood really make a pretty big difference? and what woods are good for what meat?

Tinga 07-28-2007 05:40 PM

Here is my bro's recipe for beans.

Porkrastinator Pit Beans:
--------------------------
3 Cans Busch's Original Beans 28oz
2 Tablespoons BBQ Rub
1 12oz bottle BBQ sauce
1 Tablespoon celery seed
1 Onion chopped
1 to 2 lbs of smoked pork or brisket
5 Tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
1/2 to 1 lbs Brown Sugar

Klompy 07-28-2007 05:52 PM

tinga,

sounds about perfect imo, I like to add a little chili powder, and a some cut up jalapenos, but I enjoy food really spicy.

Blarg 07-28-2007 06:14 PM

It sounds more like his recipe for stuff to add to beans someone else already cooked.

Klompy 07-28-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds more like his recipe for stuff to add to beans someone else already cooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct too, and I like to make mine from scratch, I'll have to figure out exactlywhat I throw in though.

Blarg 07-28-2007 06:49 PM

Lots of recipes online for baked beans. They're supposed to take a long arse time to cook, but I guess if you're willing to smoke meat, you have the time. That's kinda why it seems to me you might as well do it yourself.

Klompy 07-28-2007 07:05 PM

Blarg,

I found the recipe that I usually sort of go by, but modify for my own taste.

1/4lb bacon
1/2lb browned ground beef
1 onion
4 cans random beans
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 c white sugar
1/4 cup catsup
2 tabelspoons molasses

bake for like 1 hour at 350

I change this a lot when I actually do it though, and add bbq sauce, more onion, more bacon, chile powder, jalapenos, liquid smoke, and a ton of salt when I do it.

also, I always cook it much longer

Blarg 07-28-2007 07:06 PM

This sounds kind of like an all in one dish meal?

Klompy 07-28-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds kind of like an all in one dish meal?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is, every time I cook it I just end up eating bowls of it for each meal of the day until it's gone.

edit to add: I hope on trying to smoke this under a piece of meat so the drips go into it, and that's why it's relevant to this thread.

guids 07-28-2007 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done a lot of the standard meals on the smoker.. including pulled pork (6-9 lbs), ribs, pork chops, whole chickens, beer can chicken etc...

But I've always done it with charcoal. Tomorrow I'm going to try and do an 8 lb boston butt (bone in pork shoulder), but for the first time I'm going to cook with hickory wood chunks. Anything I should be worried about?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you cooking with straight wood chunks or charcoal + wood chunks. Straight wood is really hard to control temp wise, and usually burns a lot hotter than charcoal. personally I like charcoal plus wood chunks because its easier to control adn you are getting the wood smoke too.