Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   AP thread 872.6 - Statement ITT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527797)

dave88 10-22-2007 10:14 PM

Re: AP thread 872.6 - Statement ITT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The player was an employee of Absolute and could see all the hands. This is technically simply if one has the right access. I’ve seen the ‘client’ opened, that shows all the hands, when I worked the WSOP for PokerStars a few years ago. It’s frightening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...

Huh?

He only thinks to mention this NOW?

Edit:
Point being: Any site that has this capability already has beeen compromised.
For someone to be oblivious enough not to understand this is hard to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

apefish 10-22-2007 10:18 PM

never mind. he attempts to explain it. and he's an idiot.

gumpzilla 10-22-2007 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The player was an employee of Absolute and could see all the hands. This is technically simply if one has the right access. I’ve seen the ‘client’ opened, that shows all the hands, when I worked the WSOP for PokerStars a few years ago. It’s frightening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, WHAT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he's confused. Assuming he did see all the cards, how is Mike Paulle going to distinguish between it being the client vs. being a special account? If not, then this is obviously a big problem.

Injection 10-22-2007 10:21 PM

nvm Ape.

ikestoys 10-22-2007 10:25 PM

Am I missing the reason why anyone cares about this guy?

apefish 10-22-2007 10:25 PM

fwiw- I thought that unlike Justin West's drivel what Mike Paulle wrote was generally decent. I just am not sure he's sure what he means by that one paragraph- and thus wasn't sure how it would be received.

imabigdeal 10-22-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing the reason why anyone cares about this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

wisehandpoker 10-22-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN is a sports network.
Poker is a sport.
ESPN broadcasts poker and accepts advertising from poker sites.
ESPN should be interested in this story.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN is running a big story on it very soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey guys, just wanted to weigh in briefly.

I'm in the process of collecting data (I spoke with Todd, Nat and Serge today) for an article that should go up Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, depending on the research. I can't say whether it will make the front page or not, particularly since where poker is concerned, ESPN has traditionally been far more focused on competitive poker than the business of poker.

Gary

adanthar 10-22-2007 10:29 PM

Dear Justin West,

The fact that you believe the statement at this point makes you possibly more naive than the ancap crowd.

With love,

one of the many, many people that knows way more than you do

Matfrid 10-22-2007 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Justin West does a 180... erm.. wait... a 90... erm... well you decide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know many readers may be quick to say that the existence of a "super-user" hasn't been disproven. Well, honestly, it never will be. Absolute Poker - nor any other poker site, for that matter - would ever provide such a detailed explanation of the inner workings of their own website. But that doesn't mean the super-user exists. I do not believe it does. What we have here is clearly a case of compromised software, not an existing element.

God Almighty this guy is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I think the whole industry is holding it's collective breath now, because of all the auditing they will have to subject themselves to, to gain trust. It will not be sufficient, as it probably has been until now, to say: "look, here's a very safe poker client and here's a very safe backend database, and none of them show all the hole cards during play", while quickly shuffling people through a cluster of vulnerable game servers.

I would very much like to see a strong external audit body that can give sites approval. Traffic to unapproved online poker houses would then likely decrease drastically.

'I told you there's no superuser, because we always call him root'