Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Football Week 13 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553019)

z32fanatic 11-23-2007 09:11 PM

Re: College Football Week 13

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This years NCGame is going to suck balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I say we pick the best matchup of the season between top teams and just say that was the title game.

Oregon v. USC?
LSU v. some SEC team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if we get to do it for last year too. OSU v. Michigan?

BigPoppa 11-23-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say we pick the best matchup of the season between smart teams and just say that was the title game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vandy vs Wake is tomorrow

illini43 11-23-2007 09:16 PM

COME ON ILLINI TO THE ROSE BOWL

Fiesta isn't looking too far out now either with the Texas loss which should drop them past Illinois at No. 17 in the BCS.

z32fanatic 11-23-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell no. If KU loses they will fall to #10 or so. Right now for OSU to get into the NC game WVU has to lose or OU has to win. I like our chances [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Luckily WVU has never won a meaningful game in its history, even in Morgantown. The scenario of OU losing and WVU winning is fairly unlikely (if WVU and the winner of KU/UM are both 60/40 favorites, they both win only 36% of the time weeeee).

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized WVU then has to win against Pitt. While Pitt sucks it's just one more chance for them to choke. I'd say 75%+ chance OSU goes to the NC game now.

FlyWf 11-23-2007 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
COME ON ILLINI TO THE ROSE BOWL

Fiesta isn't looking too far out now either with the Texas loss which should drop them past Illinois at No. 17 in the BCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas wasn't going to a BCS game anyway. Illinois needs bad play from ACC teams and no automatic bid to a midmajor.

illini43 11-23-2007 09:36 PM

If OSU makes it to the NC, the Illini have a very very good chance of going to the Rose Bowl, as apparently the committee there loves the traditional Pac-10/Big-10 matchup. Since Michigan doesn't have 8 wins and can't go to a BCS game, the Illini are a very attractive team to plug into that spot. With 3 losses and the only really bad one @Iowa with big wins against Wisconsin, Penn St, and @OSU, the Illini have to be at the top of a short list of teams that could head to the Rose Bowl if OSU moves up.

The Texas loss is big because they will drop behind the Illini in the polls, therefore dropping them in the BCS standings behind Illinois, allowing them to move up closer to the top 14 needed to get a possible at-large berth (Fiesta Bowl).

eviljeff 11-23-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I say we pick the best matchup of the season between top teams and just say that was the title game.

Oregon v. USC?
LSU v. some SEC team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if we get to do it for last year too. OSU v. Michigan?

[/ QUOTE ]

do what you like, but I think most will agree that last year's NC sucked significantly less than this one will.

FlyWf 11-23-2007 09:40 PM

1. Last year's NC game sucked so bad it didn't even happen.

2. I'm fairly confident that this year's NC game will be closer and therefore more entertaining, barring some kind of sportswriter idiocy voting Hawaii in or something.

BigSoonerFan 11-23-2007 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so if ku beats mizzou but loses to ou are they ahead of osu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no. If KU loses they will fall to #10 or so. Right now for OSU to get into the NC game WVU has to lose or OU has to win. I like our chances [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Luckily WVU has never won a meaningful game in its history, even in Morgantown. The scenario of OU losing and WVU winning is fairly unlikely (if WVU and the winner of KU/UM are both 60/40 favorites, they both win only 36% of the time weeeee).

[/ QUOTE ]

My boys are pretty banged up...don't expect OU to beat anyone.

BGnight 11-23-2007 09:56 PM

OSU has no case if WV and Kansas win out. My God, they don't even play again and it's Nov. 23rd. That right there is enough to keep them out.

NozeCandy 11-23-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since Michigan doesn't have 8 wins and can't go to a BCS game

[/ QUOTE ]
Michigan does have 8 wins, but they still aren't going.

Also, anyone who says this game locked up the Heisman for McFadden is ridiculous. Tebow should win this award in a walk.

ArcticKnight 11-23-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SO...is USC somewhat back in the picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, if Mizzou, Kansas, West Virginia, and Oregon all lose, they might be in the argument with LSU, Georgia, Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma?

My head hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

We know it's goten goofy, but at least we can cut the insanity line north of USC. The title game may be weak, but let's not make it ridiculous.

iron81 11-23-2007 10:20 PM

Why is no one mentioning Florida as a BCS at large? Not just in this thread, but I remember an MT2R wishful thinking post a few days ago.

Also, its too bad Boise State lost or they'd have a shot at the NC game.

[ QUOTE ]

OSU has no case if WV and Kansas win out. My God, they don't even play again and it's Nov. 23rd. That right there is enough to keep them out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares when their season ends, they played 12 games.

FlyWf 11-23-2007 10:22 PM

iron- Only two teams are allowed per conference. LSU and UGA look like those two teams right now

BGnight 11-23-2007 10:30 PM

What a sick [censored] run by I Johnson!!!!!!!

iron81 11-23-2007 10:37 PM

Who woulda thunk that BSU v. Hawaii would count as a big game? Winner likely goes to a BCS bowl.

BobJoeJim 11-23-2007 10:40 PM

Boise State will still need a little bit of help after they win today. They aren't an automatic bid unless they finish ahead of the champ of one of the BCS conferences... and I'm not sure where that's likely to happen right now. I'm not convinced that they're attractive enough with a loss to get an at-large bid that isn't automatic.

Arnold_O 11-23-2007 11:11 PM

absolutely crazy football season, one of the best that i can remember.

LSU loses; i love it!

West Virginia is a lock to play in the championship game. No way do they choke. 19 pt fav vs connecticut. kind of shocks me it's that high. then Pittsburgh, they crush Pitt. Pitt beat cincy in a game i saw; still don't know how they did it.

so it's either

WVU vs Kansas
WVU vs Missouri
or
WVU vs Ohio State

i don't have a problem with any of these games. the only thing that sucks is that after it's played we have to wait 8 months for it to start up again

BobJoeJim 11-23-2007 11:11 PM

Really good play by Tharp on third down there to keep that play alive and find the open receiver. 8:39 left in the 2nd quarter, is this where Boise finally takes the lead for good?

Russ M. 11-23-2007 11:22 PM

lol XP's are hard

orange 11-23-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iron- Only two teams are allowed per conference. LSU and UGA look like those two teams right now

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally, the loser of the SEC championship does NOT get the 2nd bid. (ie. ARK and LSU previous years). UF should most likely be in the discussion of BCS at large.

actually, i forgot that utenn leads the east (ugh). so yeah, UGA probably will get it if Utenn goes.

BobJoeJim 11-23-2007 11:29 PM

LOL @ Hawaii XPs!!! 19-14 though. I'm surprised by how effective the Hawaii offense is, Boise doesn't have a good defense by any stretch, but they have better raw athletes than any of Hawaii's opponents so far and I really thought that was all it would take to slow Hawaii down.

Meanwhile, Boise has punted a lot more (and a lot better... wow... pinned that one at the three) than I expected them to have to in this game. I still have a lot of trouble imagining Hawaii winning this game but with the lead and the ball I guess I'm going to have to start acknowledging that it's at least a possibility.

Quicksilvre 11-23-2007 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SO...is USC somewhat back in the picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a BCS bowl? Sure. For the national championship? Nuh-uh.

In any case, LOL at all of the BCS explodaments this season.

JackWhite 11-23-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Colorado got a 5th and goal play against Mizzou, which they needed to win the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo, this is sort of a great college football myth, or at least misunderstanding of what actually happened. The refs screwed up, but if they didn't, Colorado very well might have won anyway, assuming subsequent events to the screwup happened the same way.

To recap. On 3rd down (according to the refs/sticks, but the actual 4th down), Colorado spiked the ball to stop the clock, then on 4th down (real 5th down), they ran the ball for a TD.

If the refs/sticks had said "4th down" I am kinda guessing CU wouldn't have spiked the ball to stop the clock?? They probably would have ran the ball attempting to score, perhaps the same play they ran on 4th/5th down which resulted in a TD.

I always thought Colorado got a bum rap for this game/season. The refs screwed up, and Colorado's play calling was predicated on bad info. With correct info (real 4th down) they would have run an actual play instead of spiking the ball. They deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

88jayhawks 11-23-2007 11:36 PM

i think after watching the KU-MU game tomorrow, a lot of you that haven't seen either team play will change your mind about about the NC game being bad. Whichever team wins, they are both fun to watch. Just because no one is used to hearing about KU or MU doesn't mean the NC game is going to suck, imo.

BobJoeJim 11-23-2007 11:44 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] D-Line INTs!

mutigers5591 11-24-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Colorado got a 5th and goal play against Mizzou, which they needed to win the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo, this is sort of a great college football myth, or at least misunderstanding of what actually happened. The refs screwed up, but if they didn't, Colorado very well might have won anyway, assuming subsequent events to the screwup happened the same way.

To recap. On 3rd down (according to the refs/sticks, but the actual 4th down), Colorado spiked the ball to stop the clock, then on 4th down (real 5th down), they ran the ball for a TD.

If the refs/sticks had said "4th down" I am kinda guessing CU wouldn't have spiked the ball to stop the clock?? They probably would have ran the ball attempting to score, perhaps the same play they ran on 4th/5th down which resulted in a TD.

I always thought Colorado got a bum rap for this game/season. The refs screwed up, and Colorado's play calling was predicated on bad info. With correct info (real 4th down) they would have run an actual play instead of spiking the ball. They deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like the coaches should know what down it is ..but thats just me

TomCollins 11-24-2007 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

West Virginia has played no one all season (including a loss). Close games against Cincinnati, Louisville and a loss against South Florida are about as unimpressive as an 11-1 team gets.

To the fools who say WV is a lock in the National Title game- don't think so. I'd say WV has at least a 30% chance at losing. UConn has a decent defense and has a fair chance at beating WV. Even Pitt could play a good game and beat them.

pwnsall 11-24-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like the coaches should know what down it is ..but thats just me

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember something very similar happening in an NFL game a few years ago, they had it marked third down but was actually 4th and 2ish and threw a pass instead of trying a fg. The refs corrected their mistake and gave the ball to the other team. I assume this would have been the correct ruling in that game had it been pointed out.

dkgojackets 11-24-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess you think it was a legit clipping call to negate Ishmael's punt return TD too huh?

[censored] Colorado. Dont you have another female player to rape?

<font color="white">Not that I'm bitter or anything :-p</font>

BobJoeJim 11-24-2007 12:18 AM

Yeah, a UConn win won't really shock me. It'll be an upset, but nothing that isn't on par with the rest of this season. At first glance I'm pretty surprised to see the line is 18, though I haven't looked at either team closely enough to really break it down (which is why I'm posting here, not sports betting).

BobJoeJim 11-24-2007 12:21 AM

Hawaii kicking off from the 10! Unsportsmanlike conduct, then a kick out of bounds and Boise smartly made them re-kick.

edit: Apparently Boise is taking it at the 50 and not making them re-kick.

PS someone else please say something about this game so I don't feel like I'm the only one watching it?

UATrewqaz 11-24-2007 12:23 AM

Watching these WAC games the only thing that strikes me is how absolutely awful the tackling is.

I don't expect every player to tackle like Ray Lewis or Ronnie Lott, but there are basic fundamentals you think the coaches would teach.

pwnsall 11-24-2007 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

West Virginia has played no one all season (including a loss). Close games against Cincinnati, Louisville and a loss against South Florida are about as unimpressive as an 11-1 team gets.

To the fools who say WV is a lock in the National Title game- don't think so. I'd say WV has at least a 30% chance at losing. UConn has a decent defense and has a fair chance at beating WV. Even Pitt could play a good game and beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't exactly fair. Cincinnati has a very good and underrated team and they did beat Maryland and MSU but fairly large margins. The Uconn potential win probably won't be seen as being impressive but they have won a lot of games.

dkgojackets 11-24-2007 12:25 AM

I think WVU is a more impressive one loss team than OSU.

JackWhite 11-24-2007 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me guess you think it was a legit clipping call to negate Ishmael's punt return TD too huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have another female player to rape. Since you cannot question the facts that I presented in my post, go for the attack. Not that it matters, but I am not a Colorado guy. I simply pointed out the actual sequence of events as they happened. Most fans are probably unaware of how this actually played out. Look it up on YouTube if you don't believe me.

As for the penalty on the punt return, I couldn't say. I'd have to see a replay.

Poofler 11-24-2007 12:30 AM

Les Miles flew to Hawaii

BobJoeJim 11-24-2007 12:30 AM

Go Boise State! Someone HAS read the essay on going for it on fourth down!

dkgojackets 11-24-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go Boise State! Someone HAS read the essay on going for it on fourth down!

[/ QUOTE ]

its about time

dkgojackets 11-24-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have another female player to rape. Since you cannot question the facts that I presented in my post, go for the attack. Not that it matters, but I am not a Colorado guy. I simply pointed out the actual sequence of events as they happened. Most fans are probably unaware of how this actually played out. Look it up on YouTube if you don't believe me.

As for the penalty on the punt return, I couldn't say. I'd have to see a replay.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy not looking for white text and ignoring smilies batman