Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Coaches in the Hot Seat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523404)

Bigdaddydvo 10-25-2007 02:52 AM

Re: College Coaches in the Hot Seat

Some interesting rumors about Butch Davis possibly leaving for Arkansas:

The Arkansas Scout board mentions it and it's the story they are leading with on local radio for the 3pm show.

Contrary to a CBSSports.com blog report, first-year North Carolina football coach Butch Davis does not have an exit clause in his contract that would allow him to leave penalty-free for Arkansas.
He expressed no interest when asked Tuesday about possibly returning to his alma mater if there is a coaching change there.

"The unfortunate thing is," he said of the report, "I did play there, my father lives there, and I've got a lot of friends there. ... But I am thrilled to be here, and I believe the program here, we've spent a great year, this first year, building stuff. And there's so many positive things going on with this program, I'm excited about the future of our program."

So would he leave for Arkansas?

"I just told you, I'm thrilled to be at North Carolina," he said.

A UNC spokesman confirmed that Davis does not have an out, nor are there addendums to the contract that would allow the first-year coach to leave for Arkansas or any other school without a financial penalty.

Davis signed a seven-year contract worth about $1.86 million annually in November 2006. If he decides to leave for another coaching job, a buyout clause would force him to pay UNC between $700,000 and $2 million, depending on the length of his tenure.

leehrat 11-03-2007 12:32 AM

I believe that loss to VA Tech last night pretty much sealed Chan Gailey's fate. He is 0-5 against his in-state rival Georgia, he has never finished a season in the top 25 (yes, believe it or not it didn't even happen last year when he had them in the ACC Championship game), and now the vast majority of GT fans want him gone (as evidenced by the crowd booing him on the jumbotron in the fourth quarter while giving a taped message asking fans not to drink and drive).

Perhaps the biggest indictment on Gailey has been the lack of QB development (in fact regression), and his inability to even bring in a half-way competent QB to throw to CALVIN JOHNSON. Literally all he had to do is say "Come to Tech, start as a freshman, and oh yeah, throw to the greatest receiver to ever play college football." This was apparently asking too much.

leehrat 11-03-2007 03:02 AM

Also, I may have overlooked it, but how can there be an entire thread on the college coaches' hot seat without even a mention of Tommy Bowden? The guy defines the hot seat. He has been on the hot seat every week for the last 6 years. In fact, they should just stop referring to coaches that are in trouble as being on the hot seat and simply start saying they're "Tommy Bowdening". How he still has a job is the greatest Houdini act in the history of college football.

FlawedChip 11-04-2007 02:07 AM

Phil Bennett of SMU was fired on 10/28 after going 1-7, and therefore was now ineligible to go to a bowl. Although, he was given the option to coach out the remainder of the season. It will be interesting to see what happens when we play the University of Houston tomorrow night on ESPN.

dkgojackets 11-04-2007 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that loss to VA Tech last night pretty much sealed Chan Gailey's fate. He is 0-5 against his in-state rival Georgia, he has never finished a season in the top 25 (yes, believe it or not it didn't even happen last year when he had them in the ACC Championship game), and now the vast majority of GT fans want him gone (as evidenced by the crowd booing him on the jumbotron in the fourth quarter while giving a taped message asking fans not to drink and drive).

Perhaps the biggest indictment on Gailey has been the lack of QB development (in fact regression), and his inability to even bring in a half-way competent QB to throw to CALVIN JOHNSON. Literally all he had to do is say "Come to Tech, start as a freshman, and oh yeah, throw to the greatest receiver to ever play college football." This was apparently asking too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

And even with that I still expect him to be here next year. I've wanted him gone for the past few years, last year's disaster clinched it, and this year has just been ridiculous.

wasnt there in the fourth to see the drink/drive message, but I got a decent fire gailey chant goin in the swarm section at the end of the third.

luckybacon 11-04-2007 02:12 AM

Houston Nutt is leaving this year almost positive. Also, Butch Davis is definately not coming according to a couple boosters Ive talked too. Apparently Ok. State is looking to get Nutt. I have no idea who we will get but whoever it is they will def. have some rebuilding to do

jah7_fsu1 11-04-2007 02:37 AM

I truly think Callahan should be gone not at the end of the season, but Monday.

First 5 game losing streak since like the 60's, and KU put 76 points on them....the same school who the current acting AD used to beat by about an average of 50 every time they played.

I hope he has bodyguards in Lincoln.

Number27 11-04-2007 03:21 AM

Callahan's doesn't have a hot seat. He has an ejector seat and Osbourne will push the button tomorrow. I will be very surprised if Callahan is the head coach next weekend.

time4adrank 11-04-2007 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Callahan's doesn't have a hot seat. He has an ejector seat and Osbourne will push the button tomorrow. I will be very surprised if Callahan is the head coach next weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

pvn 11-08-2007 08:09 PM

So it looks like Fran's out at A&M, and they're gunning for Tubby. I figure there's a pretty good chance of this happening, since Tubby's probably still bitter about the whole petrino fiasco and from all accounts most of the AU boosters don't really like him anyway, despite winning more games than any other SEC coach over the last five years (including five in a row over Bama). How many top-notch coaches are going to be lining up to move into that caustic environment?

Really the only question is will Aubie's next coach be more Mike Shula or more Mike Dubose?