Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Sony is digging the hole deeper (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450223)

Nicholasp27 07-18-2007 08:34 PM

Re: Sony is digging the hole deeper

building a console will mean losing $ on every console sold

and they will sell less software units as well as not all of their current customers will buy their console...i'll buy wii fifa and maybe wii madden...but i wouldn't buy a console just for their games....many more consumers like me

it makes no sense for them to get into the console business...sony/ms can at least get other benefits from their consoles like pushing dvds/bluray/hddvds...and nintendo makes money on their consoles

so they'd make more money on every game sold since don't have to pay ms/sony/nintendo, but they'd sell many fewer games...they'd make money on games other companies create for their system, but they'll lose money on every console sold

so they should only get into the hardware business if they can make money as a console company separate from their games...it's likely it'd even be +ev to still have their main sports games be multi-system, but maybe make the games have exclusive features on their system...they can keep their other games exclusive to their console, but madden/etc should be multi-console as they'll make more money that way

i guess what i'm trying to say is that i don't think that their IP is enough of a competitive advantage for them to get into the game...they are already at a disadvantage creating an entirely new console from ground up with no hardware experience...and the advantage of their exclusives is not enough to overcome that ESPECIALLY when u consider that it would come at the expense of their current software profits...

blackize 07-19-2007 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sony has a better chance of going under than Nintendo did because of how much money they are losing on hardware sales, and the lack of hardware sales also means software sales are taking a big hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sony is also in a bit of hot water because most of their other divisions have been losing money or stagnating for years while the video games department has kept them going strong.

jalexand42 07-19-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't just lose money for the first year or two. First you lose money just getting the design and manufacturing and marketing together.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Do you guys not understand you are talking about a $1b+++ investment to do a new console? lol at 'not having to share profits' being a motivator.

Anyone want to go do some research and see how many video games EA sells a year, and then run some percentage splits on that?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but the idea a company like EA (again with RECENT profitability issues) would develop their own console is laughable.

Nicholasp27 07-19-2007 11:46 AM

yeah, to even start thinking about this, u'd have to see

a) how many games EA currently sells
b) what % of those sales go to the console maker (ms/sony/nes)

then u can see how much they are giving to the console makers/year

Soul Daddy 07-19-2007 11:54 AM

This thread has really taken off in an odd direction. I must have missed the part where someone presented the opposite argument that got you guys so riled up.

Nicholasp27 07-19-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has really taken off in an odd direction. I must have missed the part where someone presented the opposite argument that got you guys so riled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

4-high stated: "I think its pretty obvious EA will come out with console either next generation or the following. They keep gobbling up exclusives, franchises, smaller companies etc. When that happens someone will have to go."

we disagree

Soul Daddy 07-19-2007 02:27 PM

Yes, then he also kind of backed off on that statement, or at least is nowhere near as fervent as the other side has been. Just seems there is basically one side of the argument yet the tone continues to escalate. Whatever, I don't particularly care. It's pretty amusing, really.

Thanir 07-19-2007 03:10 PM

So Aug 2nd Aus gets the PS3. Sony will be re;easing the PS3 starter pack which includes 2 games, and 2 controllers. You get all this for AUD$999.95 (USD$878.90). Wow such a deal....sign me up for a $1k video game machnine.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/a-grand-don...lia-280099.php

AceLuby 07-24-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sony has a better chance of going under than Nintendo did because of how much money they are losing on hardware sales, and the lack of hardware sales also means software sales are taking a big hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sony is also in a bit of hot water because most of their other divisions have been losing money or stagnating for years while the video games department has kept them going strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to research that first. Sony isn't going anywhere.

pr0crast 07-24-2007 06:01 PM

Who gives a [censored] about video games politics. Get whichever system has the games you want. For me that's the 360. Yes I got the red rings of death, but who cares, easy enough to fix that problem (warranty or the "wal mart switch"). People who hold grudges against video game companies or "take sides" in the console wars are tremendous losers and have lost sight of what this is all about: having FUN. If you want a PS3 because you want blu ray or you want the games it has, suck it up, play 1-2 more hours of poker to make up the difference in price between a 360 and a PS3 instead of being a little baby. This isn't a life or death decision.