Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Great (and not-so great) finds at Whole Foods (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368054)

hanster 05-01-2007 09:48 PM

Re: Great (and not-so great) finds at Whole Foods

I didn't know what TJs is until I started writing in the quick reply box about how Trader Joes is so much better than Whole Foods in my opinion. lol

Anyways, there's a Whole Foods in my area instead of TJs. Surprisingly a lot of students shop there. (how can they be complaining about the recent spike in tuition if they're shopping at Whole Foods?) I've never been there since I started college because my parents aren't here to pay for the pricey items, but I think I should give it a try.

El D,
Nice bump I let this one thread slipped by. Please try white nectarine next time. I've never heard of nectarine before until a guy from the produce section at Gelson's cut one for me and told me to try it.

Parlay Slow 05-01-2007 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whole foods also has ready cooked & frozen lobster meat in frozen fish section next to the fish market.

expensive (as you can imagine) but worth it. i made a lobster ceviche for my gf a while back and the lobster was excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you made ceviche?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice catch DaveR. Didn't even notice this.

[/ QUOTE ]

reason #342343 that dcifrTHIS is a tool

ED: Parlay, this sort of post is not acceptable in EDF. I am not deleting it because it's funny to rip on dcifr, but just wanted everyone to know that this sort of post is not acceptable here.

Boris 05-02-2007 12:14 AM

THE WHOLE FOODS IN PALO ALTO NOW CARRIES MOOSE DROOL!!!!!! I'm so happy about this. I love this beer.

7ontheline 05-02-2007 01:22 AM

In their deli section, I like the Edamame Succotash and the Cranberry CousCous. (Although I think calling it Edamame is just a way of making soybeans sound fancy). Tasty stuff.

El Diablo 05-02-2007 04:01 AM

Daver, 7, Parlay:

I thought ceviche was just raw seafood cured in some acidic marinade like lime juice and you could use any seafood?

Oh wait, OK I see your point. I assumed he was talking about two things WF carried "ready cooked lobster meat" & "frozen lobster meat." Now I see he's likely just talking about one thing "ready cooked frozen lobster."

edfurlong 05-02-2007 04:15 AM

It's pretty common to use cooked lobster for ceviche. If he made the same thing in a restaurant kitchen and called it Lobster "Ceviche", nobody would bat an eye.

Parlay Slow 05-02-2007 05:39 AM

sorry for misbehaving in the El D forum, and it does seem that the basis for my blast is a little suspect

El Diablo 05-02-2007 06:08 AM

ed,

I don't really know anything about lobster meat or preparation, but I don't think it really matters if what you say is right or not. The main point here is really just that it's fun to pick on Dcifr re: nitty semantic/precision type things.

OK everyone. Enough silliness for the time being. Back to evaluating stuff from Whole Foods.

BBQ Tri-tip deli sandwich. $7.99. Good quality meat with cheese and bell peppers and onions. This was very tasty but was more like a cheesesteak (except w/ thicker meatier slices of meat that I guess were BBQ seasoned with a little sauce) than what I think of as a "BBQ sandwich." Still, I recommend it, quite tasty.

Chicken Parmesan deli sandwich. $7.99. I found this to be somewhat bland, and not very good. The chicken parm was OK, but not great. I also felt the bread/filling ratio was off, far too much bread (a thick roll). I don't recommend it.

sublime 05-06-2007 05:43 PM

two questions ELD/others,

1) are Amys products still good for you, even thought they are frozen? I know they dont use preservatives and such, but i was always of the belief that most nutritional content was deysttoyed during processing of frozen 'meals'. of course this information could be dated, flawed and/or not applicable to Amys foods.

2) can each poster be allowed to point out Dcfrthis is a tool at least ONCE in this forum?

Kneel B4 Zod 05-06-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) are Amys products still good for you, even thought they are frozen? I know they dont use preservatives and such, but i was always of the belief that most nutritional content was deysttoyed during processing of frozen 'meals'. of course this information could be dated, flawed and/or not applicable to Amys foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe studies have shown that frozen vegetables can have all the nutritional content of fresh vegetables.