Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Business degrees (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=348445)

Ed_Zackary 03-12-2007 11:04 AM

Re: Business degrees

To the OP, IMHO the only degree that will be beneficial to you is one that adds complimentary skills to your inherent natural strengths and interests. Comp programming can be easy for some ppls, just as econ to others, integral calc others, etcetera. Brag:I took econ in my sleep. The only truely long term successful people are those that love what they do. To vacillate between econ, finance or whatever is merely a veil that you are not in tune with your natural interests and strengths and have a plan to build upon. You should ask yourself what are your natural strengths and interests and build a plan to add skills that compliment this.
As far as salary (result oriented thinking),
I've seen business savvy people pushed into the nations top B schools from their employers as required career progression. These are most of the +$100k salaries that you read about...proven business savvy people who have made significant contribution to their employer already...and the employer has to get said employee his/her MBA credentials before promoting to next level. The mostly other +$100K salary types straight from their MBA are the +3 sigma IQ types that have seriously applied themselves to a set career path and have highly specialized knowledge w/o much experience. These types are likely to start their careers as CPA's, lawyers or consultants.

The attitude of being enthusiastic, hard working, knowledgable, and curious to learn more will be the attitude that rewards you with promotions and pay increases with your future employer. Not whether your other major was accounting or (fill in the blank).
Not trying to be critical of you...good question for you to be considering at this point!

Best of luck.

Ed

Mr November 03-12-2007 03:16 PM

Re: Business degrees

i'm currently at a cc transfered in from a 4 year school...i'm finishing up my 2nd year and villanova is at the top of my list for transfer.. i'm really thinking about majoring in journalism/broadcat journalism... but i've only taken one journalism class and the rest of my credits are going towards a bus. degree... i'm just wondering if it would be best to major in bus and minor in journalism or the other way around.. so far i haven't been thrilled with the business courses but it's only been 2 years... i want to have a some business in my backround so if needed i can use it down the road and possibly get an mba if i can't break in to the areas of journalism that i want.. mainly sports writing and trying to get on radio...

as you can tell i'm kind of up in the air about what i want to do but if i switch... i don't want to totally lose business