Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   **** OFFICIAL Champions League 2007-08 Thread!***** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=474265)

THEOSU 11-07-2007 11:43 AM

Re: **** OFFICIAL Champions League 2007-08 Thread!*****

mosdef,

would you prefer he just let it slide or something? or maybe punch the other guy in the face and get a red card on his own accord?

seriously, getting pissed off about something like the celtic player's reaction in lieu of, you know, the attempted leg breaking is asinine.

mosdef 11-07-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mosdef,

would you prefer he just let it slide or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between "letting it slide" and "immediately waving your arms at the referee because maybe he didn't notice and if you jump up and down like a poorly behaved small child then he'll notice". My first reaction is "Wow, that was a brutal foul", not "Now's a chance to get someone throw out of the game! Better throw a temper tantrum!"

[ QUOTE ]
or maybe punch the other guy in the face and get a red card on his own accord?

[/ QUOTE ]

No - I'm not sure why you would think that. Do you believe the only options are histrionics and violence?

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, getting pissed off about something like the celtic player's reaction in lieu of, you know, the attempted leg breaking is asinine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not pissed off at the guy, it's more of a "roll your eyes" moment that, instead of waiting for a red card the guy's immediate reaction is to make a big scene. It's so childish.

Oski 11-07-2007 12:58 PM

Silly argument.

I'll bet that that tackle looked horrible in live action. The guy was just reacting and it happens that the ref was right next to him. Therefore, its natural that he would appeal to the ref to make sure the foul was seen.

It was an outrageous play, the reaction was mild in comparison.

JaredL 11-07-2007 01:10 PM

Some big matches today. Unfortunately ESPN is once again going with the Man United game instead of a game that should actually be interesting.

I think the good matches are Barcelona - Rangers, Sporting - Roma and Fenerbahce - PSV. The last one is particularly important with those teams in second and third and Fenerbahce up a point. It's a shame that we will never get matches like this here since they always show the big clubs even when they are playing bad teams.

Sevilla basically lock up second with a win and an Arsenal win. That would be fantastic and things look to be turning around from the bad league start and big loss at Arsenal.

THEOSU 11-07-2007 01:52 PM

i deleted the other manyoo-kyieviyeyehv match 10 minutes in. i'm not exactly looking forward to this one. at least barca-rangers is on at 5 on classic.

correia 11-07-2007 02:47 PM

The Sporting/Roma match should be a good one. This is a must-win for Sporting and I think they can do it (they are playing in Lisbon and Totti is out for Roma).

kolotoure 11-07-2007 03:52 PM

Is the Arsenal game on anywhere?

ledders07 11-07-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the Arsenal game on anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

sky sports 1 or 2 but i cba to go down to the pub and watch it

EmpireMaker2 11-07-2007 04:18 PM

Man U is the greatest team ever assembled gg on that avatar bet TSC

ligastar 11-07-2007 04:24 PM

Tevez / Rooney ... beautiful work there.

sharkstevie 11-07-2007 04:29 PM

Barcelona playing great football 2-0 up vs. Rangers

ThaSaltCracka 11-07-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man U is the greatest team ever assembled gg on that avatar bet TSC

[/ QUOTE ]hahaha, long way to go buddy.

ligastar 11-07-2007 05:31 PM

Ronaldo with a sick, sick individual goal.

correia 11-07-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ronaldo with a sick, sick individual goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

ThaSaltCracka 11-07-2007 11:32 PM

yup, pretty nice.

Arsenal and ManU are both through to the knockout stages.

thedeezy 11-27-2007 06:09 PM

Ronaldo = Brilliant

thesilkworm 11-27-2007 07:31 PM

Watched the Sevilla v Arsenal game tonight - pretty entertaining match, with 3-1 Sevilla being a pretty fair scoreline imo. I didn't see the Rangers game, but it's a shame that they didn't get at least a point after taking the lead at 1-0 and equalising to make it 2-2.

ThaSaltCracka 11-27-2007 09:50 PM

Arsenal had several players missing. Obviously since the game wasn't all that important anyway. Good result for Sevilla, glad to see we're both through.

Sevilla hand Arsenal their first loss in 29 games!

ClunkerDuds 11-27-2007 10:23 PM

From listening to the game online, it sounded like Bendtner was the only guy to have a really good game. Senderos, Gilberto, and Eboue were among those who had awful performances.

ThaSaltCracka 11-27-2007 10:25 PM

Senderos just came back from injury, so no surprise, Gilberto hasn't been playing much, so no surprise either. Eboue is a bitch, so no surprise either.

jeramy576 11-27-2007 10:39 PM

Yea, I really used to love Eboue but I'm beginning to dislike him more and more. No comment on Swiss Tony

JaredL 11-27-2007 11:00 PM

Sevilla are giving me fits this season. They'll play incredibly well one match and then the next lose or have a goalless draw against some crap team.

Even fourth will be a challenge in the league, but I could see us doing some damage in the CL knockout and the Copa del Rey.

slickss 11-28-2007 05:45 AM

Tonight's games

Beşiktaş vs Marseille
Liverpool vs Porto
Rosenborg vs Chelsea
Valencia vs Schalke
Bremen vs Real Madrid
Lazio vs Olympiacos
Benfica vs Milan
Celtic vs Shakhtar

A lot of key games tonight. Liverpool must beat Porto, Werder Bremen must beat Real Madrid, and Celtic vs Shakhtar will be very important.

Finally, I have tickets for Rosenborg - Chelsea and will be hoping for some sensational result [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

slickss 11-28-2007 05:46 AM

Oops, the first game is supposed to say Besiktas vs Marseille.

ClunkerDuds 11-28-2007 05:59 AM

Hopefully Freddy will get a start against Milan. He has been on fire for Benfica recently.

I don't see Liverpool or Bremen getting the results they need either.

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, I have tickets for Rosenborg - Chelsea and will be hoping for some sensational result [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, have to root for Chelsea today, Im gonna feel all dirty [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully Freddy will get a start against Milan. He has been on fire for Benfica recently.

I don't see Liverpool or Bremen getting the results they need either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You donīt see Liverpool winning today? Pretty sure Liverpool are done with their non-wins in the group stage for this season.

slickss 11-28-2007 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, have to root for Chelsea today, Im gonna feel all dirty [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
As you should. You have a dirty dirty mind [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 07:16 AM

Well, its more rooting against RBK though, so that offsets much of the dirtyness of rooting for Chelsea [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

slickss 11-28-2007 07:22 AM

Now I like you even less.

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 07:33 AM

Rooting for the money gap between IK Start and RBK to stay as small as possible is more important to me than my popularity in Tr.Heim [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

slickss 11-28-2007 07:44 AM

I think your logic is wrong. IMO, the success of any Norwegian team in Champions League / UEFA Cup will benefit other domestic teams. I always hope other Norwegian teams will do well internationally. For instance, good efforts in the UEFA Cup could give Norway two qualifying spots for Champions League the following season (which happened once).

That said, enjoy lower division play next year [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 07:50 AM

I choose to focus on my teams chances to compete in the Norwegian league before I care about what happens to them in Europe. I rather have a 5% chance of winning the Norwegian League and then not be seeded in Europe than a 2% chance of winning the Norwegian League and then be seeded. Rosenborgs success in CL in the 90s=13 straight Norwegian Championships, and Im fairly certain that hurt IK Start a lot more than it helped.

slickss 11-28-2007 08:55 AM

In any case, I don't ever think it's wrong if the success of one team prohibits the success of others. Professional football is an extremely competitive game. The best team wins and gets the most money.

For instance, using Norway and Rosenborg as an example: Norwegian success in Champions League / UEFA Cup around 1996, was it?, allowed one extra Norwegian team to qualify to Champions League the following year. Molde FC qualified. However, they didn't perform well enough and were quickly knocked out. The following years they started sucking even more and were deregulated from the top domestic league.

They got their chance - partly because of Rosenborg! - but didn't take advantage of it. Too bad, but I don't feel bad for them.

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 09:21 AM

Im not asking for your pity either, and Rosenborg took advantage of a lucrative oppertunity as they should, and every other team would have done the same. Molde serves as a good example, the only team able to somewhat compete with RBK at the time was backed by one of the richest men in Norway, while the rest of the teams were fighting for the bronze medal.

Im in favor of capitalism and taking advatage of your oppertunities when they present themselves, but Im not going to applaud it or cheer for it as long as it does not happen to my team. Of course N.A.E. didnt help when cried about the rich capitalistic imperialists from England or other European countries that exploited the small and poor (Rosenborg) when they bought some of their best players, just to turn around and do exactly the same against other Norwegian teams and somehow claiming that it was good for Norwegian football. It was not good for Norwegian football that RBK could buy anyone with quality or a hint of talent at the time, but it was good for RBKs success abroad and weaker opposition and stronger RBK-team ensured their continued success in Norway.

But by all means, RBK had to and still have to do whats best for themselves, but I have never bought into the "its for the best for Norwegian football as a whole"-crap, and therefore Im rooting for the miserable blues from London today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

slickss 11-28-2007 09:36 AM

How about I hold up a bundle of cash and you cheer for that, instead of cheering for Chelsea? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 10:36 AM

I dont get it... But yeah, my interest in that game is strictly financial. If there were no money involved I would be rooting for Troillungan over Chelsea.

PITTM 11-28-2007 12:49 PM

p00l for the loss!(hopefully)

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 01:15 PM

Pool for another huge win! (guaranteed)

TheRenaissance 11-28-2007 02:00 PM

Big, big game for Liverpool for several reasons. The atmosphere is going to be insane.