Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2+2er Nike Plus running group - who's in? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295947)

DonkeyKongSr 02-08-2007 03:51 PM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to find a way to keep track of my running during sprint workouts / play for ultimate but wearing the ipod doesn't seem practical right now. My guess is we run 3-4 miles per workout but it may be more -- last count we did 3x400's, 1x800, 3x400's, 4x50's+20m cooldowns, and I think a few 200's thrown in additionally.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

You could wear it with no headphones and just strap it to your arm or somewhere on your body where it interfere the least. It'll basically be like a stopwatch at that point with distance stats.

DonkeyKongSr 02-08-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just got my iPod yesterday so I'm all set to start using the Nike+ stuff...

Just curious... this is my first mp3 player... what songs do you guys have on your playlist that you think are essential while you run? I'll probs go to iTunes and get some new music today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure it's more upbeat music. Some of the slower, mellower stuff I like doesn't do a whole lot to motivate me to run harder.

Rogue5 02-08-2007 11:19 PM

'Links 234' by Rammstein is my current power song.
before that I had 'When Worlds collide' by powerman 5000.

for the other songs it's mostly hard rock and metal. Fast paced and aggressive would describe 90% of the songs I have on there so far.

I'm kind of looking for some fast paced techno for my playlists though.

Rogue5 02-21-2007 01:10 PM

I just signed up for a half marathon on April 1st.
it's in the adjacent town to where I went to college, supposed to have some really great scenery, plus I get a T-shirt [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My longest run to this point was about 8 miles, with an average run being 4-5 or so. Typically 3 a week, and one night of indoor soccer.

I don't see it being too tough, I seem to be improving pretty quickly, and I've been watching what I've been eating lately, so I should be a bit lighter by then.

I'm thinking if this goes well I'll probably start telling myself I need to run more so that I can try a full marathon sometime in the not too distant future.

skunkworks 02-21-2007 02:21 PM

Update: Set out on my long run of 13.1 miles yesterday. Started getting pain on the side of my right knee around Mile 7. Became unbearable at Mile 10. Limped/walked the rest of the way. Somehow I managed to get Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS) again -- I had this in my left knee last year, went away after 2 weeks of rest. It probably was something funny I was doing with my running form yesterday, not quite sure what it was but I think my high arches and underpronation have something to do with being vulnerable to it as well.

Popping Aleves, icing it down, got it wrapped up. I'll try to stretch it as well. Two weeks left until the marathon and now I gotta deal with this crap [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

1C5 02-21-2007 02:32 PM

Running is very tough on the body, I, along with most I know that have run a lot of had knee or foot or hip problems sooner or later.

I am trying not to run as much as I used to for this reason.

DonkeyKongSr 02-21-2007 03:19 PM

I've had a busy month and have done barely any running. The new TV season doesn't help much either. Maybe I'll hit a 24 Hour Sport during Lost tonight and run while I watch.

I just noticed something new on the Nike+ site, a route map powered by Google maps. You can post your routes or find local routes. That is an awesome new feature.

nolanfan34 02-21-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just noticed something new on the Nike+ site, a route map powered by Google maps. You can post your routes or find local routes. That is an awesome new feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I've been waiting for exactly that. Very cool.

I've been slow to get into it, as I've been spending some time on our elliptical to get back into better general shape. It's been a good thing to mix in with the occasional run. Taking this past weekend off for Vegas probably didn't help at all. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I should get back out there in a few days, I have some blisters on my feet from golf that have to heal first.

DonkeyKongSr 02-21-2007 03:29 PM

I just did my usual outdoor route...

http://www.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=mapit,884627950

You may need to cut and paste the link. The comma in the URL makes it so the link doesn't work.

skunkworks 02-21-2007 03:56 PM

DKSR,

Creepy how close you are to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here's one of my typical routes.

DonkeyKongSr 02-21-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DKSR,

Creepy how close you are to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here's one of my typical routes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work even closer to you than I live. I'm in one of the tall office buildings on Jamboree and Main.

kevstreet 03-23-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kev did I miss the lottery for nyc marathon this year? nyrrc looks like it hasn't been updated in forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think you missed it. I believe the deadline is June 1st... good luck and here's the link for
NYC

TeeJayOrTJ 03-27-2007 01:51 AM

I need some headphones for my iPod when running. Anyone have any suggestions?

DonkeyKongSr 03-27-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need some headphones for my iPod when running. Anyone have any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I pimped these a little earlier, but I have the Nike Flight headphones. I like them a lot. They are behind the head, really lightweight, the cord is long enough to reach your wrist without overextending, and they sound just fine. The cable stays pretty much out of the way and with a long sleeve shirt, I can run the cable down the sleeve and it's not even noticeable.

BTW, I need to get back to running. I've be both busy and lazy in the last month or so. Fortunately I'm keeping my weight down.

Luisgallo 03-28-2007 03:34 AM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus running group - who\'s in?

I have got this one
http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner205/

Luisgallo 03-28-2007 03:39 AM

Can you actually use the Nike + devices without Nike plus shoes?

Alobar 03-28-2007 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you actually use the Nike + devices without Nike plus shoes?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, malware makes a pouch that lets you put it on any shoe.

Also, has anyone eleses sensor died yet? Ive only put on like 100 miles and the sensor already died....wtf???

Luisgallo 03-28-2007 04:13 AM

I ordered both shoes pouch and marware kit...reviews will come shortly.

On slightly OT note: I am using the Garming 205 which doesn't have anything to do with Ipod but it is so accurate in calculating speed and distance that u really don't need anything else.
The only reason why I am happy to but the Nike + is to have the boost song when I need it and somebody talking to me...I am lonely bastard runner...

Again a bit OT: I think gadgets are an amazing motivation tool!! I am regularly up to find new running gadgets so I can just run to try them on!

nolanfan34 05-09-2007 12:47 AM

Bump.

Anyone still running? I'm slowly getting back into shape, still mixing in cross-training activities so I'm lagging behind in the challenge.

I did run Bloomsday, which is a road race in Spokane, WA. It's a 12k - my longest run in about 13 years, since high school!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nBloomsday.jpg

The true distance is about 7.46 miles - so you can see my calibration is a little off.

Otherwise, I'm pretty excited to be running again. I certainly have this thread to thank. Gave me some motivation to get out there and run again. I'm even running the Portland Marathon this October, using the training program from the book that Entity posted about in this thread.

I know some of you guys are still kicking butt, I'll probably start to make up some ground right about when the challenge ends and I start the marathon training. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

kevstreet 05-22-2007 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone still running?

[/ QUOTE ]

I calibrated my ipod sensor yesterday. I tested it on the track for two miles, the sensor said I only ran 1.75 I'm guessing I was jogging a little slower during calibration.
Oh well, will probably have to calibrate again.

As for my training, I'm building a base still until July 1st and then I'm going to start one of Hal Higdon's 18 week programs. My first marathon is this November (NYC)

I'm a little frustrated right now. I'm having troubles taking deep breaths because my back is always so tight. I'm just running through it right now. I should probably buy stock in ibuprofen for the year. I've been stretching like crazy but ibuprofen is the only thing that helps.

What sucks is that I really try not to take much medicine or prescriptions but for the next 8 months I don't see any other choice. I take it on a full stomach so hopefully it won't cause too much damage.

theghost 05-22-2007 04:09 PM

Still running - getting out a lot more now with the better weather. I had a 3.5 mile race last thursaday and came in at 27:38 (goal was to break 28 so I'm happy).

Considering a 15k that will be on 7/8 - never ran that far before, I could definitely finish it, maybe just not very quickly. Training schedule is on the fridge... step 1.

nolanfan34 05-22-2007 04:14 PM

I've been slowed by some foot pain. I'm really really hoping it's not plantar faciiatis or whatever.

But, I'm getting into decent shape for the first time in about 9 years, which is nice. I took a week off to let my body recoup after a couple of hard weeks, and I feel pretty good about being ready for the marathon training program starting on June 18th.

Rogue5 05-22-2007 04:58 PM

I was sidelined with a stress fracture for a bit, so I've been hitting the gym (bike/weights), and now soccer season has started for me, so I'm doing a ton of running, I just can't really log it with the Nike sensor.

I have a 1.5 week period with no games starting in a few days, so I'm going to try to get back into running pretty hard during the downtime (though my foot still seems kind of funky)

I can't believe I'm still in 4th place [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nomar 06-03-2007 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone still running?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im still plugging along, 12-16 miles a week or so...leaving for vegas today for 6 weeks, hope I can keep it up out there.

kevstreet 09-11-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone still running?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sir.

Inside of 2 months 'til NYC.

I'm just trying to get to the starting line healthy. I know I'll be prepared, I ran an 18 miler last Sunday and I have another this Sunday.

Unfortunately I was diagnosed w/ Plantars Fasciitis last Tuesday by my podiatrist. Ugh, I have a podiatrist. Anyway, hope there are some others still running.

nolanfan34 10-08-2007 11:59 AM

BUMP

Ship the marathon!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rathon10-7.jpg

Yes, ran the Portland Marathon yesterday. The calibration is off a little as you can see, but the time is accurate. It was easily the hardest athletic event I've ever undertaken.

Made all of the first-time marathoner mistakes, like starting out a little too fast. Passed the half marathon point at about 1:55, so I had some dreams of finishing sub-4 hrs.

Instead...can you tell where I started to get leg cramps? I had a planned walking point at mile 16, up a big hill before a bridge. After I started up the cramps would come and go, and the rest was pretty tough.

But, I gutted it out and finished, and I was pretty excited after I was done. I can barely move today, but it's a good hurt.

Couple of action shots:

Mile 12, feeling strong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rathon1021.jpg

Mile 21, putting on a happy face, even though I was hurting!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rathon1026.jpg

I never felt like I hit the wall at all - I had plenty of energy, and my aerobic capacity/breathing was fine. The legs just didn't hold up.

Next time I guess! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks to Entity for recommending the training book, and somehow indirectly kicking this whole thing off for me. I could barely run 2 miles last January, so it goes to show what you can do in a short period of time.

jd2b2006 10-08-2007 01:59 PM

Congrats nolan...I hope I can follow in your footsteps one day.