Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Interesting US civics test (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508684)

Dids 09-25-2007 12:39 PM

Re: Interesting US civics test

[ QUOTE ]
I think in general the people who score better on these types of tests are more in tune with what is happening around them in the rest of the world. But of course making gross over generalizations is kind of dangerous territory to enter into.

However in my opinion there is something to be said about those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past being doomed to repeat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the basic economic theory ones are good to know.

I think the "who wrote what, when" stuff is v. pointless unless you're in a field where you have to know that stuff off the top of your head. Otherwise, wiki ftw.

kipin 09-25-2007 12:42 PM

Agreed that knowing specific dates is extremely pointless when it comes to history, unless you like coming off as a huge history nerd who can cite specific dates.

I think knowing time ranges of when stuff was said/signed/done is somewhat important though.

Obviously I think the economic theory stuff is important, but I would never be surprised to find out someone doesn't know it/understand it after talking with so many of my fellow students who can't stand economics and only seem to be going to college for a piece of paper and not an education.

gumpzilla 09-25-2007 12:49 PM

You answered 58 out of 60 correctly — 96.67 %

That surprised me; I would not have thought to do so well, and I was definitely guessing in a couple of places. EDIT: Curiously, the other person I see in this thread who missed two questions missed the same two I did, 58 and 60.

Perplexity 09-25-2007 12:55 PM

WTF is this question:

27) Which statement is a common argument against the claim that “man cannot know things”?
A. Professors teach opinion not knowledge.
B. Appellate judges do not comprehend social justice.
C. Consensus belief in a democracy always contains error.
D. Man trusts his ability to know in order to reject his ability to know.
E. Social scientists cannot objectively rank cultures.

Triumph36 09-25-2007 01:04 PM

Perplexity:

that appears to be a re-statement of Meno's Paradox, or something out of Plato's Apology. What it's doing in this test, I have no idea.

polkaface 09-25-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
34, English Lit Major lo those many years ago. I answered 37 out of 60 correctly — 61.67 %. Somebody who scored lower than me post!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go Feliz, I only got 36 (60%).

Dilznoofus 09-25-2007 01:43 PM

52 out of 60 = 86.6%

Kind of embarassed about the ones I missed, but I could have done worse. I'll bet I would have gotten at least 55/60 if I'd taken this three or four years ago.

BCPVP 09-25-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is this question:

27) Which statement is a common argument against the claim that “man cannot know things”?
A. Professors teach opinion not knowledge.
B. Appellate judges do not comprehend social justice.
C. Consensus belief in a democracy always contains error.
D. Man trusts his ability to know in order to reject his ability to know.
E. Social scientists cannot objectively rank cultures.

[/ QUOTE ]
While the question is weird, it should be pretty easy to eliminate the wrong answers as they don't make any sense in context. D is the only answer that makes any sense because to say "man cannot know things" is to assume that man can know that.

marchron 09-25-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You answered 53 out of 60 correctly — 88.33 %
Average score for this quiz during September: 74.4%
Average score since September 18, 2007: 74.4%

Meh, not bad but I was hoping to beat the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimbell175113 09-25-2007 03:11 PM

I've always suspected bobman and gumpzilla were the same person.