Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Biggest Waste of Talent Poll: (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=451269)

Clarkmeister 07-19-2007 12:49 AM

Re: Biggest Waste of Talent Poll:

[ QUOTE ]
If Larry Bird says his team would have won several more titles with you, then that is a suitable level of talent and a gigantic waste of it

[/ QUOTE ]

And Jordan pushed to draft Kwame Brown. Your point?

slothinator 07-19-2007 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Len Bias << Jason (Jay) Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

You're leveling, right? Because there is no other reason to say this. At best, Jason Williams was the next Damon Stoudamire. Bias would have been much more than that.

Clarkmeister 07-19-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're leveling, right? Because there is no other reason to say this. At best, Jason Williams was the next Damon Stoudamire. Bias would have been much more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

Bias is strictly urban legend at this point. If it had been the Cavaliers and not the Celtics that had drafted him, he wouldn't even be brought up in these discussions.

BillNye 07-19-2007 01:24 AM

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...d_5p.widec.jpg

slothinator 07-19-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

Bias is strictly urban legend at this point. If it had been the Cavaliers and not the Celtics that had drafted him, he wouldn't even be brought up in these discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see his game in college? Offensive game inside and out, a good rebounder, and a shot blocker. We are talking about a no-doubter here. Has everyone forgotten how universally mocked the Cavs were for taking Daugherty first because everyone knew Bias was the best available player? You can argue that being drafted by the Celtics has kept this argument alive this long, but that doesn't change the fact that he was going to be awesome. Simply awesome.

If you refuse to agree with anything I have said regarding Bias, that's fine. I'll give up trying to change your opinion. But you cannot seriously even think Jay Williams was the same class of player in college as Bias,or that Williams would have been better as a pro than Bias.

Clarkmeister 07-19-2007 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But you cannot seriously even think Jay Williams was the same class of player in college as Bias,or that Williams would have been better as a pro than Bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay was widely considered a better prospect than Yao, similar to Bias v Daugherty.

Your "facts" are simply your opinions.

Jay Williams was sick, sick sick, but since he didn't actually die, he doesn't get romanticized.

slothinator 07-19-2007 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But you cannot seriously even think Jay Williams was the same class of player in college as Bias,or that Williams would have been better as a pro than Bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay was widely considered a better prospect than Yao, similar to Bias v Daugherty.

Jay Williams was sick, sick sick, but since he didn't actually die, he doesn't get romanticized.

[/ QUOTE ]

As are yours. I believe we have reached an impasse on this debate, as there is simply no way of resolving the argument. Neither one of us are changing our minds. I'll simply have to find something else for the two of us to disagree about.

Clarkmeister 07-19-2007 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some shot blocker, btw.

MIN FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG PPG
82-83 Maryland 22.0 47.8 27.3 63.6 4.2 0.7 1.1 0.5 0.3 7.2
83-84 Maryland 34.5 56.7 76.7 4.5 1.5 1.5 0.8 0.4 15.3
84-85 Maryland 36.5 52.8 77.7 6.8 1.8 3.1 0.9 0.9 18.9
85-86 Maryland 37.0 54.4 86.4 7.0 1.0 2.8 0.4 0.8 23.2

4-year player not with pretty mediocre stats until his Senior season. Not great steals or blocks for a "super athletic" college player. Basically, pretty typical 6-8 20-6-1 and change small forward stats. Not remotely on par with Durant or Carmelo, tough to suggest this guy is some unreal tragedy who would've been an all-timer.

slothinator 07-19-2007 01:51 AM

You know Clarkmeister, you're right. What was I thinking? I mean Williams played at Duke, and all of their players turn out to be incredible NBA stars. Plus looking at those numbers Williams put up in his rookie season, there is no question Bias could not have matched his production. I don't know which I liked better, his 39.9 FG% or his sub 70% FT shooting. Sick, sick, sick indeed.

Clarkmeister 07-19-2007 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know Clarkmeister, you're right. What was I thinking? I mean Williams played at Duke, and all of their players turn out to be incredible NBA stars. Plus looking at those numbers Williams put up in his rookie season, there is no question Bias could not have matched his production. I don't know which I liked better, his 39.9 FG% or his sub 70% FT shooting. Sick, sick, sick indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you're now using stats and comparing him to someone comparable like Jay rather than "biggest waste evah!". 4-year senior with mediocre stats (worse than Durant or Carmelo as freshmen) isn't equal to omggzzzzzzzzzzzz.