Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Harrah's fires best dealer for not working overtime (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=435929)

Rushmore 06-28-2007 11:28 PM

Re: Harrah\'s fires best dealer for not working overtime

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe they fired him for being drunk and loud and inconsiderate of everyone else in the room and then bragging about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No clue who you are, but I would like to show you one of my fingers.

How does this have anything to do with that? I know I wrote that post like a douchebag arrogant bastard and I owned up to that. It still doesn't change the fact that she had no business telling a small game that she doesn't give a [censored] about them because there are players playing much bigger in the room. Just like me being the OP doesn't change the fact that Thomas, an excellent dealer, got screwed in this ordeal, and Harrah's effed up again.

Devo

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my post was assholish, seeing as it was not germane to the topic of your original post (which was clearly worthy of discussion).

It's tough when you're just going about your business and someone else just unilaterally decides that their fun is important enough to usurp your right to simply go about your life without being arbitrarily and unfairly interrupted or otherwise disregarded.

Sorry. No need to show me that finger again. I got it.

For what it's worth, by the way, I have no idea who you are either (aside from the fun-time center of attention guy in the other post to which I earlier referred). In spite of your cluelessness as to who I am, I hope that I still have a right to voice my (albeit inappropriate and misplaced) opinion.

MaverickUSC 06-28-2007 11:57 PM

Wow! Best 2+2 response ever. Thank you. That post was excellent, and you always have a right to voice your opinion whether it is inappropriate and misplaced or not. The responses to said opinion are directly correlated to whether those opinions are the former or the latter though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Devo

Spook 06-29-2007 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like me being the OP doesn't change the fact that Thomas, an excellent dealer, got screwed in this ordeal, and Harrah's effed up again.

Devo

[/ QUOTE ]

Thomas knew what he signed up for. It is clearly outlined in the employee handbook that refusing overtime is cause for immediate dismissal.

If Harrah's did not dismiss him - that sets a precedent that the department running the WSOP cannot dismiss any employee for that infraction.

Let me repeat that, if a department does not discipline one employee for an offense, they can discipline zero employees for that offense. It is SOP company wide - trained for all supervisors and above.

Dismissing one dealer, in order to keep 100 working overtime is a very fair trade. Where those numbers actually work out an equilibrium, I do not know.

I do know that enforcing this policy worked well for the Salon at Caesars. The manager there was short staffed and no one would do overtime. She had a meeting where she documented that the policy was for immediate dismissal and that anyone refusing overtime would be fired. They worked overtime until she was able to fill all of the positions.

Quadstriker 06-29-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just like me being the OP doesn't change the fact that Thomas, an excellent dealer, got screwed in this ordeal, and Harrah's effed up again.

Devo

[/ QUOTE ]

Thomas knew what he signed up for. It is clearly outlined in the employee handbook that refusing overtime is cause for immediate dismissal.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all fine and good, and I agree with ya spooky. But what did they expect him to do? Call out from his real gig? Ain't gonna happen.

PokeReader 06-29-2007 08:27 AM

The actual problem is that they are not scheduling avoid these conflicts. This will further drive the hiring of first time dealers. I work in a business where we hire people and make them basically work 7 days a week for 18 hours a day, (no overtime). We would never hire anyone that had a conflict. Frankly, we don't even usually hire people with families unless there is some really frank discussion first.

This is conflict between two competing goals, maintaing skilled dealers and requiring overtime. Obviously, the idea is to come up with an optimum schedule that doesn't ask the dealers that have full-time Vegas jobs to do over-time when it is in conflict with their regular job in the first place. Instead, ask them to do overtime on the weekend/offdays and you won't have the problem at all. Of course, this would require a reasonably sophisticated scheduling optimizing program, which would be altogether too professional for Harrah's, who probably does this on a spreadsheet.