Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Penn and Teller on Walmart (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369437)

SNOWBALL 04-02-2007 06:11 PM

Re: Penn and Teller on Walmart

[ QUOTE ]

There is a long history of unions using violence. My grandfather was a union organizer. Destruction of company equipment, intimidation of customers, violence against "scabs". All of it is run of the mill. Have you even researched the ties between some of the biggest unions and organized crime. Try the Teamsters for starters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a union organizer, and I've met dozens of other union organizers from different industries of various ages. None of them would corroborate your grandfather's story because things are very different now.

Bringing the teamsters into this is retarded. That wasn't good union work. It was mob corruption that had no benefit to the union or the workers.

hmkpoker 04-02-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you pay me $10 to cut your lawn, are you my 'boss'? I fully support the right of individuals to sell their own labor. But I also think that a stateless society would have far more businesses that were worker owned/controlled, so that there would be a mix of 'traditional' hierarchal businesses, and worker-run businesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quit my job recently and took a new one. I fail to see how this isn't functionally similar to firing one person and hiring another.

pvn 04-02-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you pay me $10 to cut your lawn, are you my 'boss'? I fully support the right of individuals to sell their own labor. But I also think that a stateless society would have far more businesses that were worker owned/controlled, so that there would be a mix of 'traditional' hierarchal businesses, and worker-run businesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quit my job recently and took a new one. I fail to see how this isn't functionally similar to firing one person and hiring another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You decided to stop trading one set of resources for another with Party A and decided to begin a similar trade with Party B.

You fired your customer and hired a new one.

nietzreznor 04-02-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, and this is partly why I believe people have the right to sell their labor and am not fundamentally opposed to one person working for another.
My comment was about what I think would happen in a free society--i.e., that there would be traditional business models (albeit probably smaller ones) as well as worker-owned cooperatives.