Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314354)

TheMetetron 01-25-2007 06:06 PM

Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
TM,

Are you hanging out with mostly ex-pats or are you finding it easy to make friends with the locals? I had local friends already when I went, but found social groups to be pretty tight knit and thought it would have been hard to make inroads as an outsider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of my friends are young expats, but I do have about 5 or so Argentine friends who I've met.

veganmav 01-26-2007 08:42 PM

If I want a 2 bedroom place in a neighborhood where I won't be robbed, and I don't care about much else. What is a reasonable price range (since I am trying to be thrifty) Idealy I would want a place less than 600 usd for 2 bedrooms..?

TheMetetron 01-26-2007 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I want a 2 bedroom place in a neighborhood where I won't be robbed, and I don't care about much else. What is a reasonable price range (since I am trying to be thrifty) Idealy I would want a place less than 600 usd for 2 bedrooms..?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your asking for a bit much for a 2 bedroom under $600 a month. The only way I see that happening is if you get in good with a local and get a regular unfurnished lease through them. But something a foreigner can rent, you just won't find something that cheap. The best I've found so far is $750 for some in Palermo Viejo, but they don't include internet.

Just search for places and as long as it's in Recoleta, Barrio Norte, Belgrano, or Palermo you will be fine. San Telmo is probably fine as well, but I wouldn't want to live there. It's probably the cheapest of the five though. I'd say you are more likely going to spend $750-$900 depending on the place you get if you are trying to be thrifty.

JaredL 01-27-2007 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just how good is the air?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you can do better.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK fine.

1. When Argentines make jokes about dumb people (like Polock jokes in the US), where do the stupid people come from?
2. When Argentinian mothers tell their children to finish their food, from where do the starving people come? (ex. Africa, Ethiopia, India)
3. Do you like the juh sound they make when pronouncing words with y's or ll's? (Say this 5 times fast Yo lloré ya)
4. Same for "vos".
5. (probably the most important) Who is the best football player ever to put on a Sevilla jersey? (hint: it's incredibly easy to get this, if you can't watch, my avatar for a bit)
6. Know anything about this Fazio guy Sevilla just signed? He's a center back on the Argentina under 21 team.

TheMetetron 01-27-2007 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just how good is the air?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you can do better.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK fine.

1. When Argentines make jokes about dumb people (like Polock jokes in the US), where do the stupid people come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

The United States

[ QUOTE ]
2. When Argentinian mothers tell their children to finish their food, from where do the starving people come? (ex. Africa, Ethiopia, India)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure all those places are still much poorer than Argentina so I imagine they still work.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Do you like the juh sound they make when pronouncing words with y's or ll's? (Say this 5 times fast Yo lloré ya)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually much more like a "sh" sound in the city of Buenos Aires, in the middle of nowhere parts of the country it is more like a "j". I personally like it a lot. It sounds much better.

[ QUOTE ]
4. Same for "vos".

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I like this. Everything that was irregular in tú is now regular in the vos form (vos querés / tú quieres). Also, the accent shift sounds good. How can you go wrong with "vos sos" instead of "tú eres"?

[ QUOTE ]
5. (probably the most important) Who is the best football player ever to put on a Sevilla jersey? (hint: it's incredibly easy to get this, if you can't watch, my avatar for a bit)
6. Know anything about this Fazio guy Sevilla just signed? He's a center back on the Argentina under 21 team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football sucks.

TheMetetron 01-29-2007 06:08 AM

Bump requesting moving this to the El Diablo forum. I believe it works better there. I am on the Diablo "you can make threads list" so I hope this isn't a problem. If Diablo wants to nuke it or move it back, it is all good.

Chairman Wood 01-29-2007 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wanted to vist BA and plan on doing so this summer. I'm Mexican/Puerto Rican so I'm kinda brown. Will the the people in general hate on me because of this? How will the women respond? I speak Spanish pretty well and do well with the ladies here, but I've always heard of the Argentineans having pretty racist tendencies...

Also, I'd want to live in an apartment within walking distance to the bars and clubs. What town should I be looking at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been on vacation so I'm a little late in getting to this thread. I'll expand on some of Met's posts. No one is really going to hate on you for being a little brown here but there definately exists a strong streotype that the more darker red/brown you are, the more likely you are to be poor. Concerning the ladies, any sort of superficial defency you have in being a little brown can be more then made up with the superficial fact that you probably make at least 5 times as much $ then they do.

Chairman Wood 01-29-2007 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by multicultural I was referring to the European feel... I guess I meant "which country feels more like South America," or "what are some towns that feel more culturally South American" because I had heard that Buenos Aires was a very international city

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say that is accurate. I've described parts of this city to others as a "Poor man's Paris." Considering other towns, I don't necessarily know where to start answering your question. What is necessarily South American? Cause, I would say perhaps that Buenos Airesd is more European than South American however, is Lima more South American then Rio? One thing, though within Argentina, there are few cities that are like Buenos Aires. Regionalism is quite high and a theme of a lot of Argentine history is the struggle between other parts of the country with a dominating central power in Buenos Aires. Could be viewed as similar to some of the US's conflicts concerning Federalism/States Rights. So a lot of other towns in Argentina pride themselves on not being like BsAs.

Chairman Wood 01-29-2007 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For a 6 month stay, I'd say you probably want $6,000 saved up + rent for the 6 months outside of your bankroll. But I'm also pretty cautious when it comes to these things. You could lose your entire bankroll this way and still be able to live here for the entire 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a bad estimate but I would like to say that amount is more then enough. I probably spend slightly more and I eat out a lot at nice places, always take a bottle of wine at a restaurant, have a maid, travel a bit etc. A friend of mine told me with $5000 he could live in BsAs for two years without a job. Now, you know that you are not going to be living alone in a nice area but if you really want to cut corners to live on the cheap it's possible.

Chairman Wood 01-29-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about Sundays? I know Sundays are pretty much dead days no matter where you go but maybe you have some suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

For nightlife? Yes you are right as many things are closed but there is almost always some bar open in Plaza Serrano every night of the week. There won't be much dancing but there will always be a few people there grabbing drinks. Although I don't really like it much, The Kilkenney, this bar that fancies itself an Irish Pub, I know is popular and open on Sunday nights.