Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bankroll and Moving up (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=119700)

Pokey 06-16-2006 03:26 PM

Re: Bankroll and Moving up

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
:) im a over bankrolled nit..

[/ QUOTE ]

i am too

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was, when I was at $25NL. Then I skipped ahead to $100NL, and I was properly rolled. But that was a month ago; now I'm overrolled again.

A few comments I have to make:

1. I agree with those who correctly point out that bankroll is a necessary but NOT SUFFICIENT trigger for moving up. Much comes into play when deciding whether to move up or not: your skill level, your comfortability, your experience level, and your bankroll all need to be considered. I had the bankroll to play $50NL from day one, and $100NL from very early, but I stayed at $25NL because I was still learning the ropes. I'll stay at $100NL until I feel well-and-truly-comfortable with the game, and then I'll consider taking a shot or two at higher stakes.

2. Running hot can be fatal to a baller. Say you are not really highly skilled but you run at 20 PTBB/100 for 10k hands. Assume further that you're playing like a baller, trying to move up as quickly as you can. You started with 15 buyins at $25NL, and you've decided to move up as fast as possible, taking a chance when you get to 11 buyins at the next level. At 20 PTBB/100, you will make the 7 buyins necessary to try the next level in 1750 hands. Then, you'll get the 11 buyins needed to play at the next level in 2750 more hands. At the end of your 10k winning streak, you'll be playing $400NL with a bankroll of 11 buyins. At that point, it's highly likely that you haven't spent enough time to gain the experience, skills, and knowledge to compete at this level, and you'll become a typical "shooting star," burning VERY brightly while you rise, and then *POOF* disappearing in a torrential burst of what you consider to be "variance." How many players have we seen rise meteorically up the ranks, only to bust out at some exceedingly high stakes game? It's a danger, and it's MUCH more of a danger for the ballers than the grinders.

I'm not saying "don't move up." What I AM saying is "don't move up just because you're properly 'rolled for a higher-stakes game." Study. Think. Learn. Move up when YOU are ready, not your bankroll.

ChipStorm 06-16-2006 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Running hot can be fatal to a baller.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the thrust of your post, but as long as you have rules for moving DOWN as well as up, and as long as you follow those rules, hand-by-hand, INTRAsession... you won't have this problem.

dd323 06-16-2006 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. Running hot can be fatal to a baller.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the thrust of your post, but as long as you have rules for moving DOWN as well as up, and as long as you follow those rules, hand-by-hand, INTRAsession... you won't have this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also need to have the disipline to move down and play well at the lower stakes, which may seem boring to you playing lower. Tilt also sometimes comes in the form of not playing that much worse, but by keeping on playing higher even after your rules say you should move down.

oreopimp 06-16-2006 07:33 PM

Im actually going to be bloggin on Stoxpoker.com about a 2k prop bet I have with a friend to take $100 and be at 10/20 NL within 3 months following decent bankroll guidlines. SHould be fun, granted this 2k is really not much money, Im doing it more for the challenge. That and taking a break from the shorthanded and HU limit game which I call home sounds nice.

anyway the blog will also detail observations and such as I move through the levels. Anyway this should be easy to do the only thing I have against me is time and being able to put the hours in on it.

jdubs015 06-16-2006 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 buy-in is plenty. If you need more than that, then you have no game.

[/ QUOTE ]

jjigglers 06-16-2006 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im actually going to be bloggin on Stoxpoker.com about a 2k prop bet I have with a friend to take $100 and be at 10/20 NL within 3 months following decent bankroll guidlines. SHould be fun, granted this 2k is really not much money, Im doing it more for the challenge. That and taking a break from the shorthanded and HU limit game which I call home sounds nice.

anyway the blog will also detail observations and such as I move through the levels. Anyway this should be easy to do the only thing I have against me is time and being able to put the hours in on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If you are good enough to do this, 2k is nothing for 3 months worth of earn.

2. An "adequate" bankroll for 10/20 is 40k, and 2k is nothing to this. I don't get it?

WHITEBOYAEHS 04-11-2007 05:27 PM

quick question....what is the biggest downswing you guys have had in terms of buyins and/or number of hands?

PokerAmateur4 04-28-2007 01:11 PM

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/bump.jpg

wrkingtobegreat 07-30-2007 01:53 PM

good thread on 'rollin.

Nato76 10-18-2007 12:12 PM

Sorry to bring this old thread back but I wanted to ask a question. Do you guys still follow these guidelines or are you more conservative because players are better nowadays?