Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   English-only policy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550881)

xorbie 11-21-2007 02:42 AM

Re: English-only policy

Kaj,

Man he agrees with you. It's over. Stop trying to make an argument for the sake of arguing.

Kaj 11-21-2007 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kaj,

Man he agrees with you. It's over. Stop trying to make an argument for the sake of arguing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "agrees with me" you mean he has repeatedly obfuscated the point I raised and feigned incomprehension, then ok. It would be a lot easier if he'd just say he agrees, however, rather than keep moving the goal posts until he pretends he doesn't know what we're talking about.

Out.

DblBarrelJ 11-21-2007 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kaj,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure I do, I'm pretty sure deep down he agrees with the right of a person to file suit over being looked over for a job because they can't speak English, but to the point of what's been posted, I think I pretty much do.

It was just random bitching on my part, and I think he took it to be a militant "The government doesn't have the right to force me to do X" rant.

Kaj 11-21-2007 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure deep down he agrees with the right of a person to file suit over being looked over for a job because they can't speak English

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering I made absolutely no comment in this thread regarding this issue, that was a huge (and completely blind) leap.

Of course I agree with the right of a person to bring suit.

I also agree that they should lose this suit every single time.

DblBarrelJ 11-21-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure deep down he agrees with the right of a person to file suit over being looked over for a job because they can't speak English

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering I made absolutely no comment in this thread regarding this issue, that was a huge (and completely blind) leap.

Of course I agree with the right of a person to bring suit.

I also agree that they should lose this suit every single time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then wtf are you yelling at me for? Damn!

PLOlover 11-21-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats a good point. I guess that is one of the bad things about having a job which doesn't require special training or education. You also will get fired much quickly for things like being chronically ill as compared to highly trained professionals. Do you think their should be laws that don't allow employers to discriminate on the basis of knowing spanish? Seems ridiculous to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

here in america,

if you know english but not spanish you can be legally
discriminated against.

if you know spanish but not english you cannot be legally discriminated against.

see?

throw in the minors in case you don't get it.

english onlys are american citizens born here.
spanish onlys are illegal aliens not born here, mostly.

therefore, it is easy to see that illegal aliens > american citizens.

how can american citizens not resent that?

kidpokeher 11-21-2007 08:11 AM

DblBarrelJ,

I think you should be forced to take Chinese classes because one day you may run into someone who doesn't speak English. I also think you should be forced to take Japanese classes for the same reason. Better study up on that French because you might run into one of those french-canadians hopping the border. Best throw in some Vietnamese because you never know.

What do you do for a living again?

DblBarrelJ 11-21-2007 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DblBarrelJ,

I think you should be forced to take Chinese classes because one day you may run into someone who doesn't speak English. I also think you should be forced to take Japanese classes for the same reason. Better study up on that French because you might run into one of those french-canadians hopping the border. Best throw in some Vietnamese because you never know.

What do you do for a living again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Law enforcement, LOL. I should probably study up on the many different African dialects as well, "just in case".

Honestly, I really don't have a big problem with mandatory Spanish, it was just random bitching about a small hindrance in my own life, and I guess Kaj took it personally for some reason.

tarheeljks 11-21-2007 10:01 AM

i ask again, why shouldn't immigrants have to learn english?

tomdemaine 11-21-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i ask again, why shouldn't immigrants have to learn english?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because [censored] you that's why. Why should someone be forced to do something just because them not doing it makes you uncomfortable? I think it's probably in the best interests of immigrants to learn the majority language of the country they travel to but if they don't want to that's their decision.