Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *** Official 2007 Rugby World Cup (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=484806)

SmileyEH 10-17-2007 10:59 AM

Re: *** Official 2007 Rugby World Cup

Why not just make the goalposts narrower? I'd much rather see teams kick to touch 40m out then have a fun high pressure lineout and a few offensive phases than penalty kicks over and over again.

hedgie43 10-17-2007 08:07 PM

Optical,

Those rules were trialed in the ARC this year (Australia's new domestic competition) and will be used in Super 14 next year.

Smiley,

If teams know that making a penalty is more difficult, the defending team will infringe more than they do now.

cbloom 10-17-2007 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If teams know that making a penalty is more difficult, the defending team will infringe more than they do now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, IMO the big problem right now is you have offenses which really aren't making much progress, but can still draw a penalty because there's such a fine line between legal rucking and penalties.

Anyway, I linked rugbydump before -

http://www.rugbydump.blogspot.com/

they've got the Arg-SA highlights now; that first try by Habana is such an amazing piece of individual skill. Very uncharacteristic game for Argentina.

the_optical 10-17-2007 10:13 PM

I am not sure how successful these rules will be but you never know it might eliminate a bit of the grey area's of the game.

I just can't wait till the box destroy the English again

sixfour 10-20-2007 12:29 PM

Bump for final, bookies hilariously have the spread as SA -8, less than the France -9 line in the semi, value. Third place playoff was surprisingly entertaining

hedgie43 10-20-2007 12:41 PM

Sixfour,

It's ridiculous. England was a 17.5 point underdog in the previous match against the Bokke and lost by 36, getting completely dominated in almost every facet of the game. Have they really improved by 9 points since then? I sure as hell don't think so.

sixfour 10-20-2007 12:53 PM

Well, no, the line does seem off. I think we have around a 25% chance of winning this thing, but even Betfair has a best price of +275 for an outright win.

Probably need to start thinking about getting beered up for it soon

ZeTurd 10-20-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably need to start thinking about getting beered up for it soon

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm disappointed by your lack of commitment. I've been beering up for this one for 4 hours now. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

PartyGirlUK 10-20-2007 03:36 PM

Come on!

Yeti 10-20-2007 03:51 PM

how can anyone like this sport, jesus.

PartyGirlUK 10-20-2007 03:53 PM

Yeti - stfu.

sharkstevie 10-20-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeti - stfu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeti 10-20-2007 03:54 PM

dean you are watching a piece of crap. i'm watching it too but i'm a sadist.

PartyGirlUK 10-20-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeti - stfu.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeti 10-20-2007 03:57 PM

wow genuine excitement

i stand corrected

PartyGirlUK 10-20-2007 03:58 PM

SEND.

PartyGirlUK 10-20-2007 03:59 PM

WTF

PartyGirlUK 10-20-2007 03:59 PM

pjkfsankl'fassanlmasfnlk'fsa
[fassaklnafsam;l
l;nmdklfmnaslkjmfklas;m,a.x[okaslnf

ZeTurd 10-20-2007 04:01 PM

Stupid rules and/or rigged

grando 10-20-2007 04:12 PM

explanation please

ZeTurd 10-20-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
explanation please

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't know if you were watching, but England seemingly scored a try, but it was overturned by the refs after a video review. I'm not hot on Rugby rules, but in the NFL it would have been an obvious touchdown; don't know what made the refs overturn it. Someone with more intimate knowledge of the rules might be able to explain.

sharkstevie 10-20-2007 04:25 PM

if any part of your body is in touch its not a try, his foot was on the white line i think but it was very close

England need to score soon

sharkstevie 10-20-2007 04:39 PM

looks like thats it, terrible final

PartyGirlUK 10-20-2007 04:43 PM

gg

valenzuela 10-20-2007 04:54 PM

lame final, one must wonder what would have happened had the try at the second half have been awarded.
Im still happy southafrica won though.

JackWilson 10-20-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
explanation please

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't know if you were watching, but England seemingly scored a try, but it was overturned by the refs after a video review. I'm not hot on Rugby rules, but in the NFL it would have been an obvious touchdown; don't know what made the refs overturn it. Someone with more intimate knowledge of the rules might be able to explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you watch the replay, his foot just touches the line before the ball is grounded. No try. Easy.

GO BOKS!!!!! Today I'm proud to be South African. You were the best team in this World Cup and deserved to win.

As an aside, lol at all the English tabloids thinking Jonny Wilkinson would make a difference. It was a final, it was tight, the Boks were nervous, but any rugby fan will tell you that the Springboks are a much better team than the English.

sixfour 10-20-2007 06:55 PM

1 - best side won, throughout the game and the whole tournament

2 - I didn't see anything wrong with the try in real time and on the initial replays, but at game time I was watching a lot closer to the actual grounding, people have pointed out to me that he went into touch and back out before grounding with some part of the body

3 - fn arab crook officials lol

Jay Riall 10-20-2007 07:40 PM

God after getting into NFL I realise what a [censored] boring sport Rugby is.

Edit : Union, incase Yeti gets pissed.

sixfour 10-20-2007 08:13 PM

Beat: Stuart Dickinson's Wikipedia article is disabled for editing

slickpoppa 10-21-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This game was a horrible example of what rugby has to offer. Judging rugby based on this game would be like judging the NFL based on the Baltimore-New York Super Bowl a couple of years ago. England this year has had a way of making every game they're involved in incredibly boring. Thank god they lost, their back movement was just embarrassing.

Disturbance 10-21-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This game was a horrible example of what rugby has to offer. Judging rugby based on this game would be like judging the NFL based on the Baltimore-New York Super Bowl a couple of years ago. England this year has had a way of making every game they're involved in incredibly boring. Thank god they lost, their back movement was just embarrassing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I almost fell asleep during Matthew Tait's 50m linebreak. Whereas the fabulous SA backline entertained all night running around after those high kicks.

Chairman Wood 10-21-2007 05:14 AM

Been away for awhile because I was busy. Happy SA won cause they were without a doubt the best side. I'm still though just amazed that in a "team sport" such as rugby that one individual, J Wilks can have such an effect. Everything just changes when he is on the field. The other teams defense changes, pack and scrum play are completely different. He may not have played the best game but honestly his presence on the field has been the difference for England in this WC and was the difference between yesterday's result and the one they had in group stage against SA. I'm pleased with this WC overall. I loved how the Pumas performed. I really hope that they are evidence enough of how countries can develop. It was not long ago that they were "minnows" and now they just won the bronze. I hope that is enough to keep the IRB from reducing the number of teams in the WC final.

In this thread there have been a number of people that have chimed in saying they were ruggers or former ruggers. Just curious, how many ruggers do we have on the boards here? Do we have enough to field a side?

JackWilson 10-21-2007 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I almost fell asleep during Matthew Tait's 50m linebreak. Whereas the fabulous SA backline entertained all night running around after those high kicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah England were thrilling throughout the tournament. South Africa relied mostly on a spoiling kicking game.

Wait.

Way to go with your lopsided bias.

Disturbance 10-21-2007 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah England were thrilling throughout the tournament. South Africa relied mostly on a spoiling kicking game.

Wait.

Way to go with your lopsided bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm responding to an over-used stereotypical generalisation about England and that makes me biased?

Yeti 10-21-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I almost fell asleep during Matthew Tait's 50m linebreak.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you seriously using the ONE break in the whole game as the backbone to your argument? heh

Disturbance 10-21-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you seriously using the ONE break in the whole game as the backbone to your argument? heh

[/ QUOTE ]

No because I'm not arguing anything. I just get bored of people who come out with the same old rubbish about England time and again.

slickpoppa 10-21-2007 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No because I'm not arguing anything. I just get bored of people who come out with the same old rubbish about England time and again.

[/ QUOTE ]

What rubbish? England scored a grand total of 1 try in the knockout stages, and that was off of a kick. Their entire game consists of kicking and praying.

imitation 10-21-2007 07:25 PM

Horrible end to this world cup atleast the pumas got up which was good, I hope they get a team in the super 14s.