Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2+2er Nike Plus running group - who's in? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295947)

Entity 01-24-2007 09:23 PM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

[ QUOTE ]
I take out the asics insole liner and put in a thicker arch support liner. I tried the sensor just under the center and its barely noticable at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I run in the Asics Foundation 7; I may try that as well. I feel a little bit of numbness sometimes in the arch of my feet (I've felt this in several different pairs of running shoes), so I'm not sure if I need something with a little more arch support.

Back to Super Jock n Jill I go.

Measured 4.57 miles today on what should be ~5 miles (it was mostly [80%] a walk, not a run, since I'm going to cycle for an hour later today), but I think I paused during a small section when I had to retie my shoes, and forgot to log at least a small section, which probably accounts for .1-.2 miles of innacuracy. Then when I started walking again I noticed it wasn't tracking quite right and readjusted and it seemed to be going strong.

Rob

DonkeyKongSr 01-25-2007 02:15 PM

So, does anyone here have any marathon, triathlon, or other race aspirations this year? Since I've never been a runner and I don't think I'll be ready in time, the March 4th LA Marathon is pretty much out of the question, but I'd actually really like to do a marathon this year.

I think I'll plan on a mini-marathon or some other long run in the next 3-6 months and by the end of the year either a marathon or a mid level triathlon.

These are a few SoCal duathalons/traithlons that I think I could do if I keep this up (from here)...

Sunday, April 29, 2007 :: San Diego, California: Playa del Run - Mission Bay
Swim 1000 meters, Run 3.1 miles

Sunday, May 20, 2007 :: Santa Monica, California: Playa del Run - Santa Monica

Sunday, June 03, 2007 :: Huntington Beach, California: Playa del Run – Huntington Beach

Sunday, June 10, 2007 ::: Redondo Beach, California: Toyota Redondo Beach Triathlon - Swim ½ mile, Bike 6 miles, Run 2 miles

Saturday, September 08, 2007 :: Malibu, California: Playa del Run - Malibu

Sunday September 09, 2007 ::: Los Angeles, California: Los Angeles Triathlon
Olympic ::: Swim 1500 yards, Bike 24.9 miles, Run 6.2 miles (My ultimate goal this year may be doing this one)
Sprint ::: Swim 0.4 miles, Bike 20 miles, Run 3.1 mile

Sunday, September 23, 2007 ::: Los Angeles, California: Long Beach Triathlon
Sprint ::: Swim ½ mile, Bike 11 miles, Run 3 mile

Nomar 01-25-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, does anyone here have any marathon, triathlon, or other race aspirations this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I signed up for the Shamrock 1/2 Marathon March 18th...setting my goals high but would like to break 137.30.00 (13 7.30's)

-----
on a side note, I was planning to play 1200 hands this morning before leaving for a weekend ski trip BUT FTP was down, so instead I made my longest run of ~8miles, and moved into first place!!! eat my dust [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

skunkworks 01-25-2007 02:30 PM

DKSR,

I'll be running the LA Marathon again with a friend. His goal time is under 5:30. Last year I didn't get to run it with my friends because I had a faster goal time than they did (last year my friend finished in a miserable 7+ hours). That means this year I'll get to run it at a leisurely, comfortable pace.

With the mileage you've been packing on lately, I think you'd definitely be able to hack it (although maybe not at a pace you're used to).

nolanfan34 01-25-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, does anyone here have any marathon, triathlon, or other race aspirations this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I bought the book that Entity posted, and am planning on trying to run a marathon in the early fall/late summer. Not sure where yet. I've always wanted to go for it, and I'm going to commit to it now.

My grandfather, mom and dad all ran marathons, so I feel like I want to keep up the family tradition. Even if I'll be lucky to get within 2 hours of my dad's PR (2:39). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DonkeyKongSr 01-25-2007 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on a side note, I was planning to play 1200 hands this morning before leaving for a weekend ski trip BUT FTP was down, so instead I made my longest run of ~8miles, and moved into first place!!! eat my dust [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, I forgot to upload my 6 miles or so from Tuesday. Oh well, enjoy it while it lasts. I'm going to add some more miles tonight and reach my 50 mile goal for January.

[ QUOTE ]
With the mileage you've been packing on lately, I think you'd definitely be able to hack it (although maybe not at a pace you're used to).

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I can do the mileage (I've hiked nearly 25 miles in the mountains with a 50 pound backpack on the 5th day of a hike) but yeah, not sure what pace I could do. Your 5.5 hours is 4.76 MPH, so that's not too bad. At 4 MPH on the treadmill, I'm doing a very comfortable fast walk. 4.76 MPH sounds like an easy jog, but the distance is going to be the killer. With only a little over a month to the marathon, I don't think I'll be ready though. Give me 3 months and I could probably train for it.

Supersetoy 01-25-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do I get added to the 2+2 group?

[/ QUOTE ]

An invite has been sent.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I have one too please?

Entity 01-25-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do I get added to the 2+2 group?

[/ QUOTE ]

An invite has been sent.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I have one too please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Username?

Entity 01-25-2007 10:46 PM

PS - I hate you all. My wife (krobinson42) should give some of you a run for your money eventually, but I'm definitely going to be way behind. I'll be starting official training for Ultimate Frisbee next month so my mileage will go down and my sprints will go up, but I'll still be part of the challenge, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Today is a rest day as yesterday was a tough day. 5 miles walk/run with two dogs followed by an hour of a kickass cycling class, then getting up at 5AM. I'm beat.

Rob

DonkeyKongSr 01-26-2007 03:23 AM

I tore it up tonight. Destroyed my previous 101 minute record by 1.86 miles for 9.07 miles. I just ran and ran and ran. I actually could have done much better, but I slowed down a few times to a walk to pace myself for the whole 101 minutes, but I don't think I needed to as often as I did. I think 2 things lead to this:

1) System of a Down. They kept my ass going.
2) I had my first professional massage yesterday and I felt fantastic physically the entire run. I felt so good, I could have probably restarted the machine and done it again.

I now have a pretty medal for achieving my first goal. I think I'll wait until the 1st to start my next goal of 75 miles (which I may actually reach this month).

Good luck everyone. It's great seeing everyone starting to pack on some miles. I am scared as hell of Entity's wife right now. She came out of nowhere. Also Nomar adds on miles very consistantly. He's going to make sure I don't take too much time off between runs.

N 82 50 24 01-26-2007 03:31 AM

Nice job, very impressive.

I want to x-post something from my blog, see if anyone has any ideas about this knee issue...

The post is from here: http://www.natarem.com/index.php?/ar...ning-Goal.html

I completed my goal of 15 miles in post-PCA January. You can see the original post here: http://www.natarem.com/index.php?/ar...211-Nike+.html.

I did it from the 13th to the 25th, so 13 days inclusive. For me, averaging running more than a mile a day for two weeks is pretty good. I definitely noticed improvements. I started off at a pathetic 5 mph (12 min/mile) and now I'm doing 7 mph (a bit worse than 8.5 min/mile). I also have done half-mile segments here and there at 8 mph (7.5 min/mile). I expect that I'll settle in at around 7.5 mph for most runs, but I want to do a full-mile in less than seven minutes at some point. At this point, I don't think I could do it. But if I keep up a regular running schedule, I'm very confident I'll be able to do it relatively soon.

On a down note, my last few runs have been plagued by a knee pain. It sits in the inner part of my right knee and it pretty much only hurts when I'm running. I don't feel it at all when I walk. When I'm walking up stairs, I can tell that it's tender, but it doesn't really hurt. As a test, I tried putting the inside of my shoe against a vertical surface and I just pulled inward to try to put pressure on the joint. That hurt. I then tried the outside of my foot and it didn't hurt at all. The pain was clearly on the inside of my knee and it hurts when pulled on (obviously, I didn't put too much pressure on it).

I think I must have somehow strained a ligament. It isn't bad to the point where I can't run, although it's certainly getting there. It was worse earlier tonight than it had been previously. If it advances further, I won't be able to run until it subsides.

Just from looking at the following diagram of the right knee, it appears that my MCL is hurting me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ee_diagram.png

Any doctors out there?

Anyway, I'm going to take three full days off of running to see how it feels. I'll still go work out, but I'll try to avoid anything that might strain it. I'll do my next run on Monday the 29th and hopefully it will feel better. If not, I'll think about doing something else for exercise or maybe going to see a doctor. I certainly don't want it to get worse.

skunkworks 01-26-2007 03:54 AM

N 82,

I have no idea what might be the cause of your pain, but try googling some stuff on ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome). I ended up getting it after last year's marathon because I ran a lot on the left side of the street which slanted to the side. That put extra stress on my knee. It ended up healing completely with 3 week's rest.

N 82 50 24 01-26-2007 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
N 82,

I have no idea what might be the cause of your pain, but try googling some stuff on ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome). I ended up getting it after last year's marathon because I ran a lot on the left side of the street which slanted to the side. That put extra stress on my knee. It ended up healing completely with 3 week's rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmm, this sounds somewhat related....

[ QUOTE ]
If your knee pain is lateral (on the outside edge of a knee), then it's likely that you are suffering from one of the most common knee complaints - iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS).

[/ QUOTE ]

... but the pain is on the inside of my knee, not the outside.

Entity 01-26-2007 11:28 AM

N 82,

I have very similar pain in my right knee. Two things I'd recommend:

1) Go to a GOOD runner's shoe store and have them take a look at your stride and mechanics and make sure that you're not doing something simple and correctable (pronation, supernation, etc) that can cause problems with the knee.

2) I'm looking at getting one of these -- http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg .

I will post a trip report when I do, as they're supposed to help quite a bit with various forms of knee pain -- though most of the pain that I think I feel should be related to the ligaments and not to anything patellar, knee pain can be hard to localize perfectly so it's viable that something mechanical could be causing me more pain than I should feel (the same may be the case for you). I know several friends who play Ultimate Frisbee / Soccer that use these and swear by them. It's only $20, so I figure it really can't hurt (the one I'm linking to is $26, but it's sold by lots of different companies -- just make sure you get the right size).

http://www.amazon.com/Cho-Pat-Dual-A.../dp/B0000E5U8O

Rob

kevstreet 01-26-2007 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm in the NYC marathon this year (FINALLY!) I entetered the lottery the last 3 years and lost each and every time.

That said, I'm now instantly qualified for this year. I'm building a base now and will start to pick up my training in May and June.

I actually received my Nike+ Sensor and I'm trying to decide if I should get the Marware case or not for it.

N 82 50 24 01-26-2007 01:36 PM

Entity,

Thanks for the link.

I'm going to look for a good running store around Atlanta (I'm relatively new to the area) and see if I can get any help there.

I'll probably also pick up one of those Cho-Pat's just because it's so cheap and it probably can't hurt to try it out.

Nat

DonkeyKongSr 01-26-2007 03:19 PM

The Nike+ product line is expanding:

Nike Amp+ Watch (wristband controller for iPod)
Nike Flight+ Watch (like Amp, but has display)
Nike Speed+ Watch (no music, no iPod needed)

skunkworks 01-26-2007 03:32 PM

I'd be very interested in the Flight+ watch. For longer runs, I'd like to keep my Nano in a waist pouch or something along those lines so that it doesn't pick up so much sweat. Also, it's kind of annoying trying to skip songs with the Nano strapped to your wrist when you're cruising. I like the Marware case just fine, especially the Nike+ receiver pouch, but I can see it getting uncomfortable when I start really cranking up my miles.

turnipmonster 01-26-2007 03:48 PM

kev did I miss the lottery for nyc marathon this year? nyrrc looks like it hasn't been updated in forever.

Rogue5 01-26-2007 07:46 PM

just got my marware case, and I'm thinking my calibration issue was probably due to the sensor being installed upsidedown, (didn't know it mattered...) hopefully it's accurate now, though I still plan on hitting the track soon to calibrate it precisely.

I want to run so badly tonight, to try my new set up, but it's -14 f with the wind chill (and gettimg colder) so I'm gonna try to get out sometime this weekend.

nolanfan34 01-26-2007 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just got my marware case, and I'm thinking my calibration issue was probably due to the sensor being installed upsidedown, (didn't know it mattered...) hopefully it's accurate now, though I still plan on hitting the track soon to calibrate it precisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized I did the same thing, so I need to recalibrate as well. The red side needs to face down, right? (I don't have the instructions in front of me)

DonkeyKongSr 01-26-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized I did the same thing, so I need to recalibrate as well. The red side needs to face down, right? (I don't have the instructions in front of me)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it facing up and it works fine. Can somebody with the shoes chime in on what direction it goes in there?

Rogue5 01-26-2007 09:29 PM

the marware instructions say red face down, not sure what the nike+ shoes have you do though.

Rogue5 01-27-2007 10:28 PM

with the Marware case it's working like a champ. With the sensor in the pouch correctly it's almost dead on, I'll probably calibrate it sometime anyways, but for now it looks to be pretty close.

rdh009 01-29-2007 09:50 PM

add please, username: rdh009

Nomar 01-30-2007 05:56 PM

I finally set up the Shoe Pouch and my run time/ distance was waaaay off. My life time avg on was 7.42 over 44 miles, today I supposedly ran 4.24 miles at 10.10 pace. Even though I ran the same route I normally run which is almost 6 miles in 43 minutes.

I will adjust the pouch and try again, but as of now Im pretty pissed.

DonkeyKongSr 01-30-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally set up the Shoe Pouch and my run time/ distance was waaaay off. My life time avg on was 7.42 over 44 miles, today I supposedly ran 4.24 miles at 10.10 pace. Even though I ran the same route I normally run which is almost 6 miles in 43 minutes.

I will adjust the pouch and try again, but as of now Im pretty pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't use my pouch either because it was so off when I first tried it. I haven't gotten around to calibrating it. I actually don't mind the velcroing though as the velcro is the exact color of my shoe toungue, so it is totally unnoticeable at quick glance when I remove the sensor.

skunkworks 01-30-2007 07:06 PM

I'm kind of pissed. It looks like I'll need to return my Sauconys as they continue to give me arch blisters. Either that or I'll need to get a better insole.

Moral of the story: don't stray from Asics.

DonkeyKongSr 01-30-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of pissed. It looks like I'll need to return my Sauconys as they continue to give me arch blisters. Either that or I'll need to get a better insole.

Moral of the story: don't stray from Asics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my first pair of Asics about 6 months ago. Previously I was a Nike loyalist, but I decided to take a shot on some Asics. I love them. I think they'll be my next pair of running shoes, too.

Nomar 01-30-2007 08:45 PM

FWIW I have never had a good experience with Nike running shoes.

Alobar 01-30-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. Brooks FTW

nolanfan34 01-30-2007 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. Brooks FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

I've liked Brooks and Asics in the past. When I bought my new pair of shoes a couple of weeks ago, I tried Brooks, Asics, Nike - and ended up buying a pair of Mizuno's. At this particular running store (Super Jock 'n Jill in Seattle), they actually have you put on the shoes, leave the store, and run up and down the block outside. I did that with 5 different pairs, then combinations of different shoes on each foot to narrow it down.

I've never owned a pair of Mizuno running shoes, but for me they felt the lightest, and fit my foot the best. FWIW.

Nomar 02-01-2007 03:02 PM

2nd run with this stupid pouch ...

and nothing puts me on FULL BLOWN TILT like looking down at my ipod during my run and the speed saying "----" F* this pouch!!

Nomar 02-05-2007 03:21 PM

finally got it fixed (hopefully not jinxing myself) ... I put the pounch under the laces, over the tongue ...third straight run with accurate readings, with no "blackout time"

basco 02-05-2007 06:39 PM

Someone wanna add me please?
username: NathanG

Entity 02-06-2007 03:31 AM

Haven't updated in a while but will upload pretty soon. Need to see if I can find a way of keeping track of run data during my track workouts.

Str8Fish 02-06-2007 09:17 AM

Just got my iPod yesterday so I'm all set to start using the Nike+ stuff...

Just curious... this is my first mp3 player... what songs do you guys have on your playlist that you think are essential while you run? I'll probs go to iTunes and get some new music today.

skunkworks 02-08-2007 02:47 PM

Bought a new pair of Asics Nimbus VIIIs this past weekend. They are a perfect fit for my foot and a good match for my running profile since I underpronate/supinate. They have less cushioning than the Saucony Triumph 4s I was running in before, but as an added bonus, they don't cause awesome arch blisters. Gosh, I will really miss getting those arch blisters halfway through a 7 mile run and hobbling my way back. Good times, y'all.

I got to break in the Asics on an 8-mile jog. They're light and pretty comfy, and it feels like it'll be a very high mileage, sturdy shoe. I've been ramping up the mileage on my runs as I prepare for the LA Marathon, so next week will be a 10 mile long run, and the week after will be 13. I'm not setting any speed records anytime soon, but my goal for this year is to run with my friend and help him get through it. I'll probably end up being undertrained for this, but when I run, I don't care so much about the time or speed. I just want to stay injury-free.

My legs were pretty sore after the 8 mile run. I will need to scale back on the lifting soon (I lift weights 2x a week). Hopefully cutting back on the weight I'm squatting will help with my endurance and recovery.

skunkworks 02-08-2007 02:48 PM

Str8Fish,

I'm a fan of "The GO! Team - Huddle Formation" when I need a bit of inspiration.

Entity 02-08-2007 03:43 PM

I'm trying to find a way to keep track of my running during sprint workouts / play for ultimate but wearing the ipod doesn't seem practical right now. My guess is we run 3-4 miles per workout but it may be more -- last count we did 3x400's, 1x800, 3x400's, 4x50's+20m cooldowns, and I think a few 200's thrown in additionally.

Rob