Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Cigar Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=322239)

Tony_P 11-19-2007 01:42 PM

Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Question 1:

i got a humidor as a gift a couple months ago and tried to condition it by putting standing tap water in a for a week. the included crappy hygrometer didn't get above 40% so i microwaved the water till it was almost boiling, then put it in. it spiked to about 70% but quickly fell. i did this multiple times. always went back to 40%. i've had 20 cigars in there, or should i say "sticks", for a couple months, with an open bottle of cigar fluid, and it's never got above 40%. you guys think it's really at 70% or so? Or are my cigars dry? How can you tell? Should I do the sponge?

[/ QUOTE ]

a. Sponge it down with distilled water. If you can't find distilled water easily use Smart Water, it's just distilled water.s
b. calibrate your hydrometer. link

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2:

Do you guys spit while smoking? I had a repeater tonight on my porch. I don't smoke much, but when I do, I'm spitting constantly. I don't smoke too often, and started in high school, when spitting was just as cool as smoking cigars. Am I doing this out of habit, or do all cigar smokers spit? I noticed this because it made it hard to sip on my whiskey. As for the quality of the cigar I had, I bought a bunch of cigars when I got my humidor, some cheap some expensive. I forgot which were which, so I guess I got the cheap one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some spit all the time. I spit sometimes, depending on the cigar and situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 3:

Exactly where should I buy a digital hygrometer. I checked radioshack, where guids said he bought his, and they only had an outdoor, combo thermometer thing. Probably not what i'm looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the one with the thermometer. Temp is important too.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 4:

I tried sucking some smoke in through my nose like limon does, and it burned like a mofo. How many people do this? I normally try to avoid this situation, by breathing oxygen into my lungs only when the cigar isn't near my face. Can you guys actually breathe normally with a cigar hanging out of your mouth? That smoke coming of the end of the cigar, and through your nose doesn't bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll stop bothering you after a while.

pokah5 11-19-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried sucking some smoke in through my nose like limon does, and it burned like a mofo. How many people do this? I normally try to avoid this situation, by breathing oxygen into my lungs only when the cigar isn't near my face. Can you guys actually breathe normally with a cigar hanging out of your mouth? That smoke coming of the end of the cigar, and through your nose doesn't bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this and it doesn't burn at all... I think it's great and obviously stimulates more senses and enhances the flavor greatly.

Aces McGee 11-19-2007 04:32 PM

I've never been able to get much enrichment out of inhaling through my nose. I have found that exhaling through the nose really bolsters the flavor, however.

-McGee

Bicycles_Biatch 11-20-2007 03:32 AM

Just smoked a Oliva Series V... the Afficiando cigar of the year...

it was excellent. Loved the flavor

ooinsight 11-20-2007 02:16 PM

Go with beads as your humidification element, you won't regret it

RyanCMU 11-21-2007 04:50 PM

If I want to enjoy a nice cigar at home after a long day w/o going outside any tips for helping w/ the smell?

I live in a cold weather state, and now that its approaching winter, its just not feasible to smoke outside anymore and be comfortable.

Any tips for us indoor smokers?

toutatis70 11-21-2007 07:40 PM

I had smoked a hand rolled imported cigar that had an excellent draw and had a creamy taste as well as being light. wrapper was light colored. Does anyone here know of a cigar I'm looking for?

BretWeir 11-22-2007 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I want to enjoy a nice cigar at home after a long day w/o going outside any tips for helping w/ the smell?

I live in a cold weather state, and now that its approaching winter, its just not feasible to smoke outside anymore and be comfortable.

Any tips for us indoor smokers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that the smell from the smoke itself dissipates pretty quickly if you have decent ventilation. It's leaving out the butt that really stinks up the place (even if it's in the trash). So make sure you throw away the butt outside as soon as you're done smoking.

Also, sometimes lighting up one of those girly scented candles afterward helps.

TxRedMan 11-22-2007 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just smoked a Oliva Series V... the Afficiando cigar of the year...

it was excellent. Loved the flavor

[/ QUOTE ]

smoked an oliva robusto this week b/c someone raved about it on here...the first third was okay and the rest was [censored] imo.

highly reccomend the davidoff 6000's if you like robustos, try it with a glass of milk/desert.

the habanos partagas serie d robusto is killer!

also, the trinidad robusto extra (?) is awesome.

smoked a cohiba lanceros last week and liked it, but not as much as the corona especiale.

thought the montecristo edmundo sucked.

-Tex

delaware99 11-26-2007 11:57 PM

New to this forum, but def love cigars.

Smoked an AVO lounge addition (teal label) you can only get it in Orlando at the AVO lounge/ Corona Cigar shop. It is a def must have if you can get it shipped to you. Also just smoked the AVO LE 7. If you can find it, buy a few, it is getting better with age. Smoke one now and hold the rest for a special occasion.

Taso 11-27-2007 05:20 PM

I got a nice Rocky Patel 1992 for about $6.50 I think. Price is much lower than it used to be at my local store, I wonder why. I used to get the big size (wow, I need to learn cigar terms?!) which was $10, but I got kind of tired of smoking it for that long, so I decided to go with the smaller one, which seems to be about 6 inches or so. Corona? What are the terms yo?

Aces McGee 11-27-2007 06:31 PM

Just want to tack on to Delaware's post that Avo is a really nice brand. Might be a little beyond the pale for some (including me, I've only bought them when my local shop has had special prices on them, or for special occasions), but they are highly flavorful, enjoyable smokes.

-McGee

Tony_P 11-27-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a nice Rocky Patel 1992 for about $6.50 I think. Price is much lower than it used to be at my local store, I wonder why. I used to get the big size (wow, I need to learn cigar terms?!) which was $10, but I got kind of tired of smoking it for that long, so I decided to go with the smaller one, which seems to be about 6 inches or so. Corona? What are the terms yo?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.aficionado-a-havanas.com/....cgi/size.html

cwsiggy 11-27-2007 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just want to tack on to Delaware's post that Avo is a really nice brand. Might be a little beyond the pale for some (including me, I've only bought them when my local shop has had special prices on them, or for special occasions), but they are highly flavorful, enjoyable smokes.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to ask how are the Avo's these days, then saw your post. May have to try them again. When I used to smoke cigars - I remember that brand being a very, very good smoke.

delaware99 11-27-2007 10:11 PM

just bought the AVO 7-8-7 (brown label). it used to be a limited addition until they recently brought it back. ill let you know if it is worth the $11

TxRedMan 11-28-2007 10:58 AM

must try habanos:

montecristo #2
montecristo especiale
partagas serie D #4
trinidad fundadores
hoyo de monterrey epicure #2
hoyo de monterrey petit robusto
por larranga petit coronas
cohiba corona especiale
cohiba robusto
hoyo de monterrey regalos LE
h upmann connasieur
romeo and juliet escudos
cohiba esplendidos (churchill)
punch punch

the best off that list are the monte #2 (not the especiale #2, good cigar, but different), the cohiba corona especiale, and the romeo and juliet escudo.

Habanos smoker for life.

Aces McGee 11-28-2007 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
monte #2 (not the especiale #2, good cigar, but different)

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one of these is a torp?

-McGee

Taso 11-28-2007 11:07 PM

WAs reading through this thread again, and I came across a post that said you don't technically have to have a humidor. I needed to store a few cigars, no humidor, so I googled it, and found that I could put them in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel, and that would keep them "fresh"

How long can I do this for before they go...I don't know, "stale"? It's only been one night, I was planning on smoking it tonight, not sure if that is going to happen though. How long EDF, how long? Obviously I can re-wet the sponge.

ChoicestHops 11-29-2007 12:21 AM

I had this last night after I randomly saw it at the liquor store

http://www.makersmarkgiftshop.com/images/MM001.jpg

It was very good and tastes like bourbon. I definitely recommend it.

Tony_P 11-29-2007 11:10 AM

Taso,

They'll keep for as long as you keep the proper amount of moisture in there.

Obv, this is hard to tell with a makeshift humidor, but you should be ok for a couple of weeks.

Make sure the sponge or towel is not in contact with the sticks.

Taso 11-29-2007 02:09 PM

Thanks Tony. I ended up smoking them last night, but this is good to know, as I don't really smoke enough to justify having a humidor. Will definitly be used in the future.