Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Strange Prof. Email... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547158)

MattyMayor 11-22-2007 04:07 AM

Re: Strange Prof. Email...

[ QUOTE ]
How could one possibly plagiarize a dictionary? This makes no sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither....i always thought that plagiarizing had to include pilfering someone's ideas or something....not a commonly known definition...

also..if using the dictionary is plagiarizing...where do we draw the line?!?! do we cite every word we ever looked up?

really weird sequence of events here for sure...

SuperUberBob 11-22-2007 04:52 AM

This professor seems to be irresponsible, unprofessional and condescending.

By any chance, is he Asian?

Golden_Rhino 11-22-2007 05:10 AM

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6849/waisisft7.gif

HedonismBot 11-22-2007 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither....i always thought that plagiarizing had to include pilfering someone's ideas or something....not a commonly known definition...

also..if using the dictionary is plagiarizing...where do we draw the line?!?! do we cite every word we ever looked up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you serious, if you copy ANYTHING you need a citation, many places you need to reference any work that may have recently influenced your ideas (seriously). Dictionary is a completely standard and obvious citation. you will probably have to meet with someone higher up for this and get a warning / slap on the wrist

Bork 11-22-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you serious, if you copy ANYTHING you need a citation, many places you need to reference any work that may have recently influenced your ideas (seriously). Dictionary is a completely standard and obvious citation. you will probably have to meet with someone higher up for this and get a warning / slap on the wrist

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong, if you use a word you found in a thesaurus/dictionary and don't cite it then it is not plagiarism. You have not stolen anybody's ideas. If he is quoting phrases or paraphrasing then yes it obviously needs to be cited. However, citing a dictionary is far from standard, typical decent post highschool papers aren't going to have definitions from dictionaries in them (of course there are exceptions). You don't need to cite things that may have recently influenced your ideas. You need only cite ideas that you present which are not your own.

En Passant 11-22-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are wrong, if you use a word you found in a thesaurus/dictionary and don't cite it then it is not plagiarism. You have not stolen anybody's ideas. If he is quoting phrases or paraphrasing then yes it obviously needs to be cited. However, citing a dictionary is far from standard, typical decent post highschool papers aren't going to have definitions from dictionaries in them (of course there are exceptions). You don't need to cite things that may have recently influenced your ideas. You need only cite ideas that you present which are not your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

HedonismBot 11-22-2007 06:58 PM

I doubt his prof would take issue with him using an uncommon word, clearly he did quote the definition in an overly erudite manner which is what grabbed the profs attention, I thought... Maybe I was wrong about this though

CalledDownLight 11-22-2007 10:55 PM

Next time site every word over 6 letters with a reference to Webster's New Revised.

MattyMayor 11-23-2007 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt his prof would take issue with him using an uncommon word, clearly he did quote the definition in an overly erudite manner which is what grabbed the profs attention, I thought... Maybe I was wrong about this though

[/ QUOTE ]

Definition was not quoted, word was merely used correctly in the context of the paper. i don't foresee any 'higher up' meetings here - could be wrong - hope i'm not.

doesnt seem likely

sixfour 11-23-2007 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Next time site every word over 6 letters with a reference to Webster's New Revised.

[/ QUOTE ]

And while citing things, check every word under four letters?