Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I don't understand the point of straddling... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=455733)

Al_Capone_Junior 07-21-2007 03:55 AM

Re: I don\'t understand the point of straddling...

It's an either/or ala mike caro, to throw you off of the third possibility, which is the actual case. :-)

EWillers 07-21-2007 08:32 PM

Multiple out of turn stradlers

Back home the games allow a stradle from any position save the blinds. The kicker is, the stradler gets ABSOLUTE last right of action on the preflop round.

Example: The cutoff stradles. The action starts utg and continues clockwise. UTG + 3 raises, the action continues clockwise but skips the stradler in the cutoff. SB reraises. Action continues clockwise but skips the cutoff again. This continues until there are no more players to respond to any raises. Only then does the stradler act.

Usually when multiple people want to stradle on the hand they just kind of go like an auction. Somebody will put 10 out, then somebody tosses out 20, etc.

I've only seen it once where it became an issue as to who has the "last right of stradle". It was decided that the stradles should be declared in clockwise order from the blinds (thus, the button has the "last right").

When there are multiple stradlers, the action continues to skip over the stradlers until all the non-stradlers have acted/reacted to raises. Then the 1st stradler acts and all non-stradlers have to act if there was a raise by 1st stradler. Then the action moves to the 2nd stradler. This continues until the last stradler has acted.

Needless to say, sometimes one needs a roadmap to follow the action. Even more needless to say, this system is wonderful for generating action among the heroic. (I was once able to limp 3 times with my aces for I knew the 1st, 2nd, and 4th stradler couldn't help themselves but to "bump it up".)

ungarop 07-21-2007 08:56 PM

Re: Multiple out of turn stradlers

[ QUOTE ]
Back home the games allow a stradle from any position save the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's home?

UsedToBeARock 07-21-2007 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know if straddling is acceptable in WA cardrooms or tribals ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure is. I do it all the time at Kenmore and Caribbean.

Why? It's fun and gets the table talking. I like a fun table. Works maybe 1/3rd of the time for me...

David LoPan 07-21-2007 09:36 PM

I do it because it makes it look like I'm a super loose player while I only showdown good hands postflop. IT helps me to get paid.

TheStation 07-22-2007 12:14 AM

I think the "straddle puck" should be used more often but most cards rooms ban it anymore (but I have had more fun with it during graveyard shifts when floor isnt paying attention and dealers are being tipped well). Basically you take enough chips for a straddle, rubber band or tape them together and whoever has those chips must straddle with them at their next opportunity. Good way to make sure you get at least one straddle per orbit.

MaxRaises 07-22-2007 01:30 AM

Gamboooooooool

EWillers 07-22-2007 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the "straddle puck" should be used more often

[/ QUOTE ]

Many call it a "rock". It was in favour in Vegas for a while about a year or so ago. I saw it used at (I believe) the 30/60 at the zoo and the 40/80 at the V on a couple of ocassions.