Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Most profitable foreign language? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=447026)

cgrohman 08-13-2007 02:00 PM

Re: Most profitable foreign language?

Arabic or Mandarin

Pokerdemic 08-13-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
has anyone who started learning a language in college ever learned it to an extent which they could speak and understand it well enough to make it profitable in their life? if so, plz tell me the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had like 6 years of spanish between high school and college, and when I graduated college I still couldn't hold a conversation in spanish. These days I can barely even remember basic words and I've only been out of college a couple of years. I have many friends who had the exact experience as me.

Most of my college professors said it's very hard to learn to fluently speak another language without actually traveling to some place where you are forced to speak the language everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

runningmarvel 08-16-2007 01:21 PM

if your american, english would be most profitable, obv.
I'm english btw. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

billybeartku 08-18-2007 03:45 AM

not because I'm a Taiwanese so I say it's going to be Mandrin, but the reality tells us that the Mandrin is going to be the major language in the world in the future.

ThaHero 08-23-2007 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
has anyone who started learning a language in college ever learned it to an extent which they could speak and understand it well enough to make it profitable in their life? if so, plz tell me the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had like 6 years of spanish between high school and college, and when I graduated college I still couldn't hold a conversation in spanish. These days I can barely even remember basic words and I've only been out of college a couple of years. I have many friends who had the exact experience as me.

Most of my college professors said it's very hard to learn to fluently speak another language without actually traveling to some place where you are forced to speak the language everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does living in So Cal count? I only did 4 years in High School of Spanish, and didn't even pay much attention then. Get a few jobs working with and serving Spanish speakers, and you just pick up stuff. I can understand most of what people say in Spanish now. It takes me a while to actually formulate what I wanna say though unless it's one of those lines you use everyday like "como se llama" or something like that.

Merton0806 08-27-2007 05:35 PM

learning french = +EV

SuperUberBob 08-27-2007 09:35 PM

Spanish ainec

Supposedly, they will be the majority race in America in 20 years (or something like that).