Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

ichiro5151 10-23-2007 05:26 AM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes the Bush Admin. is BS, but that doesn't mean this basic principles of America are still in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you think pumping trillions of tax dollars into a war that no one wants except the administration equates to American principles staying intact?

nation 10-23-2007 05:27 AM

all,

ofdabeat was banned for threatening a poster, and ur54sold was banned for trolling this thread. both are one day bans. please don't react to trolls in this thread. just notify me when someone like ur54sold is being an ass and i'll give him a break.

ichiro5151 10-23-2007 05:30 AM

so it's okay to call black negros? cooooool

DontTapTheGlass 10-23-2007 06:38 AM

I just posted this in another forum, but figure this and any future info might help this thread as well.

"I currently live in Bangkok and play poker semi-professionally. I came out here almost 4 years ago after finishing college, now own a few businesses here, and play about 3-4 hours a day of mind-numbing 22 dollar SnG's.

Overall, I love it here. I look at my friends in the states and feel bad when I describe my life to them. I have a good group of poker friends out here, some professional, some just do it for the love of the game. Poker is illegal, but I have no problem getting on most poker sites. My connection is great, and I live a pretty sick life for a mere 25k USD a year (and have a great savings plan as well).

The most beautiful beaches are next door, friendly and beautiful smiles everywhere, wonderful food from all parts of the world, western infrastructure and convenience, and very relaxed people.

The good, though, comes with the bad. People are a little too relaxed and things don't get done as quickly/efficiently as one would want. Touristy areas have touts wanting to rip you off (you might pay 80 bucks for something thats worth 50...woohoo), traffic and smog is a bitch, and its a hard culture with which to fully integrate oneself.

For me, the good far outweighs the bad, however, and that's why I'm here. I have a house, a labrador retriever, an awesome girlfriend, and own some self-sustaining businesses that net me more than the average under 30 guy in the west makes. Life is good out here, and I highly recommend you guys to give it a shot while you still can."

10-23-2007 06:59 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Schmitty 87 10-23-2007 07:38 AM

I don't understand a lot of the posters in this thread. They respond to ur54sold by saying "Let me live my own life. You do what you want to do. I'll do what I want to do. I'm not hurting anyone." Now while the last part may be up for debate, it's a good response. But then you turn around and say "backpackers suck lol what a bunch of jokers." Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

I don't think that the appeal of Thailand is living like a millionaire without being one. Living simply among other people living simply is what I enjoyed. Of course it's nice to do that on a beach too.

[ QUOTE ]
baht is like play money to me. i like being told 500 baht for me, or free or whatever...but i nearly always give them like 3-5k baht if they were nice to me...thats so much money to them and so little to me...i really do look at it like charity. now maybe they can take 2 nights off and go see their family or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ski can provide more accurate information than me, but the bargirls than I hung out with during my week in Bangkok spent more money than me. We went to that nightclub Spicy and they probly dropped like 4-5k baht. I somehow doubt that these girls are whoring their way through university while also sending money back to their parents. And even if they are, I think it's unfortunate that girls who choose not to be bargirls have no realistic shot of making anywhere near the money that bargirls do.

Schmitty 87 10-23-2007 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so it's okay to call black negros? cooooool

[/ QUOTE ]

for sure. thai people are 100% without a doubt racist against black people and indians. get to know some locals and non-hookers, its quite an interesting culture [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I met a black guy when I was in Bangkok, and a bargirl told me "I like your friend the chocolate man." Standard?

WhoIam 10-23-2007 07:44 AM

We're just joking around when we're talking about backpackers but this guy was expressing real hatred for people living in Thailand and making all kinds of ridiculous assumptions. There's a big difference in tone.

edit: yay, 2000 posts

WhoIam 10-23-2007 07:55 AM

Here's the thing about bargirls: they're like irresponsible poker players. Unless they're really stunning and can get a guy every night, bargirling can be really high variance. When things are running well, they forget about the bad times and spend all their money. They have no concept of financial responsibility--if they saved even 5% of the money they made, they would be set for life. There are no bargirl retirement packages, you either find a foreigner to marry/rip off or you end up a street vendor or rice farmer making $3/day. If you gave a girl $100k, it would be gone within months.

I'm talking here about the career bargirls and not the ones trying to put food on their family's table.

snowbank 10-23-2007 01:39 PM

Can someone give me details about the jungle treks and river treks I've heard about. I'm heading to Thailand soon.

EmmaDillema 10-23-2007 02:16 PM

how much baht per month is required for a semi comfy lifestyle OUTSIDE of bangkok. Near the beach.

KexChoklad123 10-23-2007 02:22 PM

Is it illegal to play online poker there? I would like to go there, play for a living, have a place to stay near the beach, is this possible?

Schmitty 87 10-23-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone give me details about the jungle treks and river treks I've heard about. I'm heading to Thailand soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many companies offer treks, but some are much better than others. A lot of places talk to you then send you off to some random guy and you follow him around with 10 other people like sheep. You don't go far from Chiang Mai with those guys, and the villages are far from authentic. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to treks.

I will post more about this when I have a bit more time, but here's a preview:
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23436_5207.jpg
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23432_4134.jpg
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23431_3863.jpg
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23439_6029.jpg

miami32 10-23-2007 05:33 PM

Have any of you eaten at the huge seafood place? I dunno the name, apperently it has a sign that says if it swims we have. You pick out the fish a they cook it? I saw it on Anothony Bourdaine's show, it looks absurdly delicious. Also can you guys suggest any good Korean BBQ?

On a side note, for whomever is going to be around late Nov to the end of Dec. we should hang out. I def can't wait to come.

snowbank 10-23-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many companies offer treks, but some are much better than others. A lot of places talk to you then send you off to some random guy and you follow him around with 10 other people like sheep. You don't go far from Chiang Mai with those guys, and the villages are far from authentic. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to treks.

I will post more about this when I have a bit more time, but here's a preview:
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23436_5207.jpg
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23432_4134.jpg
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23431_3863.jpg
http://photos-638.ll.facebook.com/ph...23439_6029.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

cool thanks. ya would definitely be interested in more info. do you just kill animals and walk through the jungle? or what is it that you do? from people who pmed me a while back if i remember correctly they seemed to really recommend it, so trying to get an idea if i'd like it.

BigLawMonies 10-23-2007 08:54 PM

Lawyering

Any 2+2 associates/paralegals/solos work in Thailand? Any associates at DLA Piper, Latham & Watkins, etc? TR? What is the quality of life there vs. cravel type firms in the US?

I'm thinking of moving there and could probably swing it just doing outsourced work but it would be pretty cool to really get into the business & legal culture out there...

also, how [censored] baller a lifestyle can you have on a $200-230k income in a place like thailand? Crazy baller or moderately baller?

WhoIam 10-23-2007 11:29 PM

Re: Lawyering

Jungle treking/adventure travel might be better in Laos. You'll probably get more bang for your buck and the experience would be more authentic due to the country (especially the rural areas) being less developed. There's everything from anthropological ethnic discovery tours to hanging out with elephants to living in a network of tree houses connected with rappel lines. Try this site and google for more info.

EmmaDillema 10-24-2007 12:37 AM

how much for semi comfy life outside of bangkok near the beach? baht per month? ~ about

cookie 10-24-2007 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how much for semi comfy life outside of bangkok near the beach? baht per month? ~ about

[/ QUOTE ]
Without knowing it, I would guess its the same as Bangkok in the way that in Bangkok you can have that for 7K baht or 50K baht without there being much of a difference...

shinigami 10-24-2007 01:52 AM

so I tried a midget trip report:
-was actually 1m45 so 50cm difference with me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] basically my palm is bigger than her whole hand - to me that counts as midget [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
-non pay4play kind. told me her ex was a 40yo unemployed UK guy, wtf [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (she was 25)
-somehow was waiting for Chris Hansen to walk in on us [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] screw!ng someone so small is, like, weird
-anything else than midget on top is just not that practical [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

basically, interesting but not that good.

oh, I've met several "older" girls (like 25-35) with good jobs - architect, doctor, business owner (real business, not pad thai stall) either single or dating a 50yo white dude cuz they can't find anyone suitable, this makes me sad [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (even though it makes things easier for "us")

10-24-2007 02:10 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

john voight 10-24-2007 02:17 AM

what do they eat for breakfast?

if i smell fish or meet, or something like that before noon I will puke. Eggs, waffles, baccon? etc..

cookie 10-24-2007 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if i smell fish or meet, or something like that before noon I will puke. Eggs, waffles, baccon? etc..

[/ QUOTE ]
You can get the "American breakfast" anywhere in Bangkok, which is like eggs, bacon, sometimes cereal, juice, coffee, 2 pieces of toast...

NewTeaBag 10-24-2007 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...also, how [censored] baller a lifestyle can you have on a $200-230k income in a place like thailand? Crazy baller or moderately baller?

[/ QUOTE ]

$200K/year = INSANE in the membrane balla lifestyle here.

ChromePony 10-24-2007 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If those smells make you puke, this may not be the place for you. Of course you can find pretty much any western convenience you might want in Bangkok, but waffles and scrambled eggs are far from the Thai standard.

Oh and bacon is meat, is it not?

ofdabeat 10-24-2007 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so I tried a midget trip report:
-was actually 1m45 so 50cm difference with me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] basically my palm is bigger than her whole hand - to me that counts as midget [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
-non pay4play kind. told me her ex was a 40yo unemployed UK guy, wtf [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (she was 25)
-somehow was waiting for Chris Hansen to walk in on us [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] screw!ng someone so small is, like, weird
-anything else than midget on top is just not that practical [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

basically, interesting but not that good.

oh, I've met several "older" girls (like 25-35) with good jobs - architect, doctor, business owner (real business, not pad thai stall) either single or dating a 50yo white dude cuz they can't find anyone suitable, this makes me sad [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (even though it makes things easier for "us")

[/ QUOTE ]

Shagging a midget ahah you rock!
About the 25-30 good looking with good situations : middle and upper middle class woman have a hard time finding thai men. They can't marry up and they won't marry down hence the situation.

Being a 20 something white male in thailand = you can shag anygirl, anywhere, anytime except for the upper upper class which very hard to infiltrate.

MARK R 10-24-2007 10:21 AM

Hotel OK?

Going for a weeks holiday in bangkok next week and wondered about the following hotel/apartment. They currently have a 40% discount before the december and was wondering about the location for good night life.

http://bangkok-sukhumvit.frasershosp...ommodation.php
38/8 Sukhumvit soi 11, Klong Toey Nua, Wattana,
Bangkok 10110, Thailand
Mark.

shinigami 10-24-2007 12:51 PM

Re: Hotel OK?

you'll be fine but you'll want to take motorbike taxi to go from your place to Nana BTS station cuz it's a bit far and streets are packed full of stalls at night there so not easy to walk.

Also you don't see it but on their map http://bangkok-sukhumvit.frasershosp...cation_map.gif
where soi Nana crosses water there's a express boat stop, giving you good access to interesting part of the city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khlong_...p_Express_Boat

Schmitty 87 10-24-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool thanks. ya would definitely be interested in more info. do you just kill animals and walk through the jungle? or what is it that you do? from people who pmed me a while back if i remember correctly they seemed to really recommend it, so trying to get an idea if i'd like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops lol no it's pure coincidence that two of the pictures involve dead animals. I suppose I just found those photos cooler than the others. The top picture was a sacrifice for an animist ritual, and the bottom was when the guy in the photo nailed a bird with his slingshot.

The guide (3rd picture down, on the left) spoke English, Thai, and Karen (the tribal languague). He also happens to be a really good cook. He cooks all of your meals with the help of a village family and other guides he brings along (who he brings along presumably in case he gets injured somehow and to pay them).

The hiking is very variable. Sometimes you're on a jungle path, other times you're out in the open.

The place I went is called Pooh's Eco Trekking, which is located on Ratchpakinai road close to the south moat. I did three treks with them, all with Tee (3rd picture on the left) as guide. What distinguishes his treks from the common touristy ones are:

1. Tourist treks always include elephant riding and bamboo rafting. If you want to ride an elephant, I'd go to the elephant conservation center so you know the animals aren't being horribly mistreated and exploited for tourists to ride on them. I didn't go bamboo rafting, but I hear it is quite the sleeper. You just coast up the river standing there. Whitewater rafting is the way to go in my opinion.
2. His language skills and knowledge. Tee spoke the best english in terms of vocabulary of any Thai person I met. Speaking Karen and being Karen himself is also an awesome characteristic. He knows how they live and how they do things. He is their friend, and not simply a business acquaintance.
3. The villages. Villages close to Chiang Mai have a lot of tourists. Tee drives you far as [censored], close to the Burmese border. In the touristy villages the villagers have coca-cola, try to sell you stuff, and many can even speak a bit of english. No pepsi where we went. A selling point for a lot of treks is the interaction with the villagers (an overnight stay with a tribal family!). On touristy treks, that interaction is likely to be limited. You might drink with them a bit, but then they go back home and you go to bed in what is essentially a village guesthouse. I stayed with a family, in a sleeping bag on hard bamboo two feet from the fire.
4. Group size. The treks I went on had 3 people including myself. Expect 8+ for touristy treks.
5. Additional guides. On every trek I went on, Tee brought along other people for certain legs of the trip. It's cool seeing them interact with their home environment (like jumping rock to rock with sandals while you're slooowwwly making your way in shoes). If something were to happen to Tee or a trekker, it also has to be a huge benefit to have people who know the area ready to help.
6. Cost. You can probably find a 3 day/2 night touristy trek for like 1500 baht or less. The 3 day/2 night eco trek will cost around 4k baht.

Ask away if you have any questions.

dj_mercury 10-24-2007 01:19 PM

Re: Hotel OK?

How is the level of the universities down there, not that I need anything extraordinary. I saw that they opened a new college of management at the Mahidol university (looks to be in a central city location) that looks to have a good international orientation and some interesting courses, so I was wondering if it could be worth to spend a period of my graduation study there, as exchange student or indipendent. Better that I look for another country to study abroad or Thailand is also worth from this point of view, with the great advantage to be a pretty cheap place and with links to nice touristic locations all around?

snowbank 10-24-2007 04:41 PM

schmitty,

thanks for the great detail. after i read it over again later maybe i will think of a couple other questions on that.

snowbank 10-24-2007 04:42 PM

Am I going to be throwing up and [censored] ing for a few days when I get there? I heard most people do when traveling to different countries. Is this true?

Schmitty 87 10-24-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I going to be throwing up and [censored] ing for a few days when I get there? I heard most people do when traveling to different countries. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that diarrhea is often a problem, but that was the only medication I brought. Didn't need to use it the whole time I was there though.

Some people bring malaria pills.

And one more thing. I think a lot of the fun of it is not knowing exactly what you're gonna get into, so I don't like posting super specific information. I make an exception for the treks though because I really think that Pooh's has the right philosophy.

WhoIam 10-24-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] NewTeaBag and I had no problems the first month we were there, then both had digestive problems throughout the second month. It's more a problem of moderate diarrhea rather than a "I couldn't leave my hotel room for five days" nightmare. Just go to the nearest pharmacy, describe your symptoms (they all speak English), and take whatever pills they give you. You'll feel better within a few hours.

ichiro5151 10-24-2007 11:18 PM

I gotta leave the country for a visa run...anyone got any suggestions for places to go? Is cambodia worth going to?

WhoIam 10-25-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta leave the country for a visa run...anyone got any suggestions for places to go? Is cambodia worth going to?

[/ QUOTE ] Do you just need to cross the border or do you need to go to a Thai consulate? If you're just crossing the border, you're spending maybe 20 minutes in the other country so it doesn't really matter where you go.

ichiro5151 10-25-2007 12:27 AM

i should have said "forced vacation" instead of visa run...i want to go visit somewhere

WhoIam 10-25-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i should have said "forced vacation" instead of visa run...i want to go visit somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]
So the cops are after you...

Vientiane is 5-6k baht round-trip flight from Bangkok and is awesome. There's also a sleeper train but the flight is only about an hour.

shinigami 10-25-2007 02:59 AM

I heard Myanmar has good nightlife right now [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

no suggestions, but http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm is good to plan your train travel.

u been here 3month already [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] or your getting a work visa [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

ichiro5151 10-25-2007 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard Myanmar has good nightlife right now [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

no suggestions, but http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm is good to plan your train travel.

u been here 3month already [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] or your getting a work visa [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

been here 1 month