Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College football week 10 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536403)

mmbt0ne 11-04-2007 12:25 AM

Re: College football week 10

[ QUOTE ]
I am convinced that Charlie is trying to lose on purpose. I haven't figured out why, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Draft positioning ldo

iggymcfly 11-04-2007 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody ranking LSU ahead of Oregon at this point is either just not paying attention or is a delusional fanboi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon lost at home to a 5-3 Cal team. LSU's played 4 home games that tough without cracking and their only loss came on the road in 3OT. I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt based on their resume. If the question was who would win on a neutral field next week, I'd probably take the Ducks, but I think LSU "deserves" to be #2.

barryc83 11-04-2007 12:26 AM

Lets play the what if game for a minute. Let's say Auburn losses @ UGA next week by a game winning field goal with 0 sec left on the clock. Youre still gonna put a 6-4 team ranked?

iggymcfly 11-04-2007 12:27 AM

Absolutely.

damaniac 11-04-2007 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody ranking LSU ahead of Oregon at this point is either just not paying attention or is a delusional fanboi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon lost at home to a 5-3 Cal team. LSU's played 4 home games that tough without cracking and their only loss came on the road in 3OT. I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt based on their resume. If the question was who would win on a neutral field next week, I'd probably take the Ducks, but I think LSU "deserves" to be #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Kentucky also 5-3? Didn't OU lose only because of a bunch of 4th quarter TO's? Okay they lost at home, but c'mon, be a little honest here.

barryc83 11-04-2007 12:33 AM

Well if thats how you think about it then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I mean why even keep score then? Youre basically telling me that the difference between winning and losing is insignificant if the teams play a close game. I dont give teams credit for losses, if you lose 4 games, youre not that good. You have to actually win games to be considered a good team IMO. 2 of Auburn's losses are also terrible. We're talking unranked teams and home losses too.

Austiger 11-04-2007 12:34 AM

Sagarin Predictor had Auburn 11th and BC 16th and that was before BC's loss, so I don't think it's that crazy to have Auburn ahead. I don't expect that to happen in the polls obv.

Now cmon how can you say the UF win is not so impressive anymore? Urban Meyer's only home loss at Florida and it was a night game. Yes, Florida also lost @ LSU and to UGA but seriously...

damaniac 11-04-2007 12:36 AM

Well I don't know that I want polls to simply mirror "ability". That is, I want results to matter. I don't want it to be all unbeatens followed by all 1 loss teams followed by all 2 loss teams, but let's not play the "Oh sure they had a bad game and lost but they're still favored over everyone else"...what fun is that?

barryc83 11-04-2007 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sagarin Predictor had Auburn 11th and BC 16th and that was before BC's loss, so I don't think it's that crazy to have Auburn ahead. I don't expect that to happen in the polls obv.

Now cmon how can you say the UF win is not so impressive anymore? Urban Meyer's only home loss at Florida and it was a night game. Yes, Florida also lost @ LSU and to UGA but
seriously...

[/ QUOTE ]

Im an SEC guy and I know you are too, Im not sure about iggy. THE SEC IS NOT THAT GOOD THIS YEAR. Some people think that the unpredictable nature of the SEC shows parity blah blah you know the drill. I think it shows that a bunch of teams (any team except LSU) are really inconsistent. I dont know about you, but I think that inconsistent teams arent that good. You have to bring it every week. Yeah you beat a three loss Florida, so what? I know Florida is the almighty "Florida" but they arent that good this year.

The fact that iggy would still put a 6-4 Auburn team in the top 25 is weird to me. Winning games is the most important part of the ranking system.

Austiger 11-04-2007 12:46 AM

Well for one it would be 7-4, and you have to include schedule strength, and how well a team is playing at the moment. I agree about the SEC being overrated, but I think everyone is sort of on to that now.