Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *** ALDS Game 2: Yankees vs. Indians (Pettite/Carmona) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516443)

CharlieDontSurf 10-06-2007 02:46 AM

Re: *** ALDS Game 2: Yankees vs. Indians (Pettite/Carmona)

Torre is def gone if Yanks don't make it out of this

THAY3R 10-06-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But I still can't figure out why Kyle thinks the Yankees are the best team in baseball. Using PECOTA, WARP, adjusted standings, my predictions, my general analysis of the players, and everything else, I think the Red Sox are the best team in baseball by ~2 wins per 162 games. The Yankees are, at best, #2, and I think you could make the argument that they're a hair behind the Tribe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Removing Andy Phillips, Miguel Cairo, Kei Igawa, Matt DeSalvo, Tyler Clippard, and Sean Henn from the equation greatly help the Yankees case.

Now, taking those guys away might not be fair, because it's the whole season etc., but I think what me and Kyle are trying to say is that their current lineup and pitching make them the best team in baseball.

ADLinden 10-06-2007 02:53 AM

they may be a good team, but they are not a good playoff built team, and in the end, thats what matters right?

MuresanForMVP 10-06-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Muresan a). is a retard, b). a troll, and, like mosst retard baseball fans, c). takes more pleasure out of Yankees losing than their team winning.

It's true.

Also, half the Cleveland fans at the game were idiots, they seemed more happy that the Yankees lost than their team won. There were some good fans there though as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

1a). Well my mom made me wear a bicycle helmet when I was a kid. She tried an experiment after my father hit her stomach with a billy club, trying to do a forceful abortion (guess they were ashamed of me). She asked the doctor what the advanced effects of FAS were. So she tried to drink hard liquor from the day of conception until the day of birth in hopes that I was born brain dead. It didn't work and I'm still alive today bitches.

It's true.

b). Yes. Sometimes I am. I won't lie.

c). How the [censored] would you know? This seems like an awfully big assumption to me. I mean it's not like my ENTIRE family is from Winchester, Boston, Plymouth, Worcester,etc. Nah, my uncle didn't coach Harvard and MIT hockey (granted it was womens)...he was even at the Bobby Orr game, and knew everyone who played for BU including Chris Drury. It's not like my grandfather played baseball for Harvard, was signed by the Red Sox, and later got a law degree from Harvard right? Yeah, I'm just some bandwagon fan sporting my "[censored] the Yankees" t-shirt, who hates the Yankees more than I love the Red Sox. I hate the Yankees, but until right now, the very best moments of my life were the day I earned the title of a United States Marine, and the night the Red Sox won the World Series.

Kos13 10-06-2007 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But I still can't figure out why Kyle thinks the Yankees are the best team in baseball. Using PECOTA, WARP, adjusted standings, my predictions, my general analysis of the players, and everything else, I think the Red Sox are the best team in baseball by ~2 wins per 162 games. The Yankees are, at best, #2, and I think you could make the argument that they're a hair behind the Tribe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Removing Andy Phillips, Miguel Cairo, Kei Igawa, Matt DeSalvo, Tyler Clippard, and Sean Henn from the equation greatly help the Yankees case.

Now, taking those guys away might not be fair, because it's the whole season etc., but I think what me and Kyle are trying to say is that their current lineup and pitching make them the best team in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's really not fair because it takes way more than 25 players to make it through a full season. We could say the same thing about benching Barfield, Lee, Sowers, and Marte, as well as cutting Rouse and Oldberto.

Kos13 10-06-2007 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they may be a good team, but they are not a good playoff built team, and in the end, thats what matters right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't. I think we're talking about who would win the most if we played 100,000 games using these rosters.

EDIT: Also, it's not that they aren't built for the playoffs, but a strong offense tends to have a higher standard deviation than strong pitching in a short series.

MuresanForMVP 10-06-2007 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like saying "in a perfect world, wherein every player is healthy,etc" which doesn't mean a whole lot. Their current hitting lineup is very strong, but the pitching? Wang is good, Pettite is less so, Clemens even less so, then what? Mussina? He's been awful, and looked completely ineffective a lot of the time. Hughes has been very unimpressive too. So much reliance on rookies. Rivera is sick, and was especially sick tonight. But if people are going to contend that Ryan Braun is "running hot" over close to an entire season then it's impossible to honestly say that Chamberlain is anywhere close to the numbers he's putting up now. I'm just asking people to take a look around and see what's happening.

No, maybe one season doesn't decide who the best team COULD have been. But in the time frame of one single season what matters? Who the best team WAS. The Yankees have NOT been the best team all season and have NOT been the best team in the playoffs (not even close). So how can you honestly say that they are the best team in baseball?

MuresanForMVP 10-06-2007 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't. I think we're talking about who would win the most if we played 100,000 games using these rosters.

EDIT: Also, it's not that they aren't built for the playoffs, but a strong offense tends to have a higher standard deviation than strong pitching in a short series.

[/ QUOTE ]

100,000 games? So in essence, the opinion that the Yankees are the best team in baseball is not based in reality? Honest question.

THAY3R 10-06-2007 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

c). How the [censored] would you know? This seems like an awfully big assumption to me. I mean it's not like my ENTIRE family is from Winchester, Boston, Plymouth, Worcester,etc. Nah, my uncle didn't coach Harvard and MIT hockey (granted it was womens)...he was even at the Bobby Orr game, and knew everyone who played for BU including Chris Drury. It's not like my grandfather played baseball for Harvard, was signed by the Red Sox, and later got a law degree from Harvard right? Yeah, I'm just some bandwagon fan sporting my "[censored] the Yankees" t-shirt, who hates the Yankees more than I love the Red Sox. I hate the Yankees, but until right now, the very best moments of my life were the day I earned the title of a United States Marine, and the night the Red Sox won the World Series.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all may be true, but there are still plenty of fans, even Red Sox fans who think it's the cool thing to do to hate on the Yankees and take more pleasure in them losing than their team winning, and you havn't really said anything to disprove that.(Not saying you are one of those guys, just that all your supporting evidence doesn't really disprove it) These types of fans brag about how their teams don't buy championships etc. etc. and typically have no clue about baseball in general, but are just caught up in the hype of anti Yankees.

Also, :

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2007-07/30923338.jpg

ADLinden 10-06-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the point in talking about that though, seeing how no one team will ever play that many games