Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *official 2007 red sox thread* (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357666)

Toro 05-20-2007 12:04 PM

Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

[ QUOTE ]
lol at manny 'gunning' diaz down. he basically lobbed the ball back in and caught a guy at second. it will happen time to time.

shied away from the wall??????....LMAO the ball landed like 3 inches from the wall and if pena charges at it and misses that double becomes a HR. i mean seriously are you [censored] kidding me? it was 12-0 at the time and pena is supposed to go full bore into a concrete wall?

its even worth discussing? i mean give me a break it wasnt a routine flyball by any stretch of the imagination.

manny has over 400 games in the MOST DIFFICULT LF in baseball. pena has like 7 innings.

also, i would say francoeurs two run HR 'triggered' Atlanta's 3 run inning. however you are probably right. matsuzaka probably knew pena wouldnt catch a flyball so he said screw it i get that guy off second by giving up a HR.

[ QUOTE ]
He's a DH, period, which means he's a bad fit for this team.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what should the red sox do?

seriously we get it, you dont like the kid....youir also insane for thinking manny is a 'far better fielder'. i (and countless others) have started why thats the case (hint speed) but whatever youre convinced youre right.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think I don't like the kid? You're wrong, I like him a lot. I'm just trying to get you to admit that he's a bad fit for the sox, which he obviously is. But you were all gaga when the sox got him for Arroyo and won't face up to the fact that it was a bad move and you were wrong.

And boy can you spin. " pena is supposed to go full bore into a concrete wall" It was a lazy fly ball that landed on the warning track in left field in Fenway. You don't have to go crashing into the wall to catch a ball like that. Just judge it right, back up and catch it. He's not a good fielder period. He can run fast yes but that doesn't make him a good outfielder.

And lol, the wall isn't concrete. Good try though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

sublime 05-20-2007 12:19 PM

i give up. you win. bye!

Toro 05-20-2007 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i give up. you win. bye!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

zer0 05-20-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so what should the red sox do?

[/ QUOTE ]

trade him, obv.

he's not a fourth outfielder. he can't play defense, he can't pinch run, he's not even a good pinch hitter. he's a glorified dh playing behind the best (ignore hafner) in the game.

i still won't call the trade a bad one, though. i liked it then, so i can't say i dislike it now. arroyo was basically a league average 5 starter, if you can trade that for RH power potential like pena's, i think you've gotta every time. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. arroyo wouldnt be a 145 era+ pitcher here, i hope everyone knows that.

Toro 05-20-2007 04:08 PM

Just to quibble a little, remember the Sox weren't as well stocked for starting pitchers then as they are now. Schilling was coming off an injury, Wells was out of shape with bad knees, etc. And they didn't have Beckett or Matzusaka yet.

So to say he was their 5th starter minimizes the situation they were in.

youtalkfunny 05-20-2007 05:11 PM

FWIW, I can't believe anyone would consider that WMP is nearly as good defensively as Manny. I guess that makes me crazy, too.

THAY3R 05-20-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I can't believe anyone would consider Manny better than anyone defensively ever. I guess that makes me sane, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

kyleb 05-20-2007 05:33 PM

I dunno, have you seen Chris Duncan?

James282 05-20-2007 05:38 PM

jack cust?

Kneel B4 Zod 05-20-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
arroyo was basically a league average 5 starter

[/ QUOTE ]