Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314354)

TheMetetron 09-06-2007 12:31 PM

Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

RiverPlay,

Thanks for your input/corrections. Abortion isn't legal? I found that pretty odd. What about gay marriages or at least a civil union?

PS - La Boca esta el primer equipo en Argentina! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TheMetetron 09-06-2007 12:36 PM

Chairman Wood,

My oven has temperature settings with actual degrees. That doesn't mean it works at said setting though as I seem to routinely have to cook things longer than is recommended (ha! like I cook ever).

Chairman Wood 09-06-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Abortion isn't legal?

[/ QUOTE ] Definitely illegal, although I've heard stories about doctors in hospitals giving them under safe conditions illegally. Morning after pill is legal and I think it is available without a prescription but I'm not positive.

Chairman Wood 09-06-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chairman Wood,

My oven has temperature settings with actual degrees. That doesn't mean it works at said setting though as I seem to routinely have to cook things longer than is recommended (ha! like I cook ever).

[/ QUOTE ] Lucky bastard! I guess I'm cooking the turduckenrabbit at your house this year!

TheMetetron 09-06-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chairman Wood,

[/ QUOTE ] Lucky bastard! I guess I'm cooking the turduckenrabbit at your house this year!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm, turduckenbit... mmmm.

RiverPlay 09-07-2007 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
RiverPlay,

Thanks for your input/corrections. Abortion isn't legal? I found that pretty odd. What about gay marriages or at least a civil union?

PS - La Boca esta el primer equipo en Argentina! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Abortion is not legal, but as chairman said it's not that hard to get one at a private hospital if you have some money, which is a problem beacuse girls without 700 us$ are doing them without real medical supervision at risky places, lots of women die because of it.
Gay marriages are allowed since 2003, but civil union would be the right way to call them, since they can't adopt children or inherit from their couples.

dr_custard 09-18-2007 02:08 PM

How is the air there. Do it smog up like in Mexico city for an example?
Is it ususal with "sunroofs" in apartment complexes in the price range of those mentioned before?(like in spain)
Is it generally sunny intown? (related to the smog question, as in, does the sun get blocked by the smog etc..)

And i also have one pretty OT question about football. How is the coverage (on tv) of european football? Do you know if it's available? (Primera division and Champions league in particular.)

Thanks

TheMetetron 09-18-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is the air there. Do it smog up like in Mexico city for an example?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buenos...Aires... this is a Spanish test. The name isn't a misnomer. The air quality obviously isn't like in the middle of nowhere as it is a city, but the breeze from the water takes away most of the pollution with it. That said, being near a colectivo when it starts up from a stop light feels like smoking 20 cigarettes at once.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it ususal with "sunroofs" in apartment complexes in the price range of those mentioned before?(like in spain)

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean being able to go up to the roof? Pretty standard in every building. If this isn't what you mean, I'm confused.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it generally sunny intown? (related to the smog question, as in, does the sun get blocked by the smog etc..)

[/ QUOTE ]

If it isn't cloudy and the direction of the sun isn't blocked by nearby buildings then yes it is very sunnny.

[ QUOTE ]
And i also have one pretty OT question about football. How is the coverage (on tv) of european football?

[/ QUOTE ]

Football is never off topic in Argentina. You can get European coverage of at least England matches and probably more, though I don't follow most European football. If there is a particular league you really want to follow you can at the very least find a sports bar that will carry it. Champions League is definitely broadcast here.

HiBaCHi 09-18-2007 04:18 PM

We went to try and get a gym membership today but we need to get some sort of medical certification. Is this similar to health insurance or just to make sure we are healthy? They said a doctor will be there next week and can get it sorted for 50 peso, I'm just not sure exactly what this is for or why?

Also, are there any basketball courts or tennis courts anywhere? fwiw, we live in Barrio Norte on Sante Fe.

dr_custard 09-18-2007 05:12 PM

Thanks for the reply met.
Glad to hear that it lives up to its name. Regarding the roof, what i wanted to know is if you can sit up there and read, wifi etc. etc. (Spend time there in the sun basicly.)

Also like to know, when you moved there, did you know any spanish at all? I'm thinking of moving in a near future and i have yet to learned anything at all.

Would a thing like finding a descent apartment when i get there only on my english pose a problem?

Thanks, really appreciate this thread mate.