Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519020)

prohornblower 10-17-2007 05:19 PM

Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

lol @ Red Sox fans. It's nice to see a team with a bunch of classless punks go down in flames. WTF is up with Manny?! I mean, really...anyone else wish to see a midget run up and kick him in the nuts when he stands there like he's parting the f&cking Red Sea? I do.

This team is full of players that nobody outside of Boston can root for. That team is no different than the Yankees. I take pleasure in both teams crashing and burning.

LIFE IS GOOD!!! GO C.C.!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jh12547 10-17-2007 05:30 PM

I heard on the radio a little while ago that the Sox had an optional workout and 4 guys didnt show. Paplebon, Ortiz, Crisp and Drew. I can live with Paplebon and Ortiz but how the [censored] do Drew and Crisp not even show. Absolutely pathetic if you ask me.

kyro 10-17-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL DUSTIN FRAUDROIA HAHA LOOK AT ME IM SO CLEVER

[/ QUOTE ]

....QFT hahaha. Maybe Pedroia should worry less about slapping mitts and more about NOT GROUNDING OUT WEEKLY TO THIRD BASE EVERY SINGLE AT BAT AARRGRGGHHH

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been grounding out more often than once a week.

kyro 10-17-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ Red Sox fans. It's nice to see a team with a bunch of classless punks go down in flames. WTF is up with Manny?! I mean, really...anyone else wish to see a midget run up and kick him in the nuts when he stands there like he's parting the f&cking Red Sea? I do.

This team is full of players that nobody outside of Boston can root for. That team is no different than the Yankees. I take pleasure in both teams crashing and burning.

LIFE IS GOOD!!! GO C.C.!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is a pretty stupid post. Manny is like a little kid that is just so happy with himself when he hits a home run. I can understand not liking Drew and Schilling but calling the entire team "classless punks" is just retarded.

ADLinden 10-17-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is a pretty stupid post. Manny is like a little kid that is just so happy with himself when he hits a home run. I can understand not liking Drew and Schilling but calling the entire team "classless punks" is just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

one bad apple can ruin it for them all

kyro 10-17-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

one bad apple can ruin it for them all

[/ QUOTE ]

Every team has schmucks. Every fan base has lousy fans. That's why I try not to view all Astros fans in the same light as AcesHigh and phb.

tuq 10-17-2007 06:00 PM

Sorry to crash this awesome party, but is anyone else annoyed at Jhonny Peralta's parents for giving him that retarded spelling of his first name? The dude has to go through his whole life correcting everybody. If he didn't make it to the bigs and it wasn't splashed on a TV screen nobody would ever get it right, ever. Stupid ass parents trying to give him an "original" name.

ADLinden 10-17-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to crash this awesome party, but is anyone else annoyed at Jhonny Peralta's parents for giving him that retarded spelling of his first name? The dude has to go through his whole life correcting everybody. If he didn't make it to the bigs and it wasn't splashed on a TV screen nobody would ever get it right, ever. Stupid ass parents trying to give him an "original" name.

[/ QUOTE ]

from Wikipedia:

The unusual spelling of his first name is attributed to a clerical error on his birth certificate.[1] He has refused to have it changed. The letter combinations "Jh" or "Gh" are sometimes used in the Spanish language to represent the English "J" sound, as the "J" in Spanish is normally pronounced as an English "H".

RandomUser 10-17-2007 06:05 PM

Hitting a line drive right at a fielder is a bad break.

Hitting a bloop down the line is a good break.

Over the course of a season, the breaks usually even out. But in the small sample size of the playoffs, the breaks will have an inordinate effect on the outcome.

The Diamondbacks outhit the Rockies in their series yet they lost all four games. I'm pretty sure that is an extreme rarity.

wiper 10-17-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he kinda halfway flailed at it but didn't really follow through / make contact. and unlike arod he was also in the process of diving headfirst into the bag so he was moving in that direction anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

so we, and by we, i mean you, red sox nation, don't believe that he only went head first to have the opportunity to swat at the ball with at least a little cover??

WHOLE lotta whining going on in this thread, to the point that it actually pisses me the [censored] off a little..and i'm one of those cleveland fans that's actually still terrified. if beckett is beckett tomorrow, and boston wins, and then fausto isn't on, we're relying on westbrook to win a game 7 on the road...

that's all that's been going through my head all day, AND WE'RE UP 3-1!!

life as a cleveland sports fan.

and lol at boston fans. all of a sudden everything is 'variance', as if coming back from 3-0 against the yankees in the series before they finally won their championship wasn't.

kyro 10-17-2007 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and lol at boston fans. all of a sudden everything is 'variance', as if coming back from 3-0 against the yankees in the series before they finally won their championship wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please go through this thread and list the number of times people said that.

And anyways, it wasn't. Dave Roberts is just clutch.

kidcolin 10-17-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
pretty much. I mean, it wasn't all that long ago we came back from a 3-0 deficit with an injured ace against the greatest closer ever. Variance owns the postseason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we're all brain dead 'tards who don't understand variance.

tuq 10-17-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from Wikipedia:

The unusual spelling of his first name is attributed to a clerical error on his birth certificate.[1] He has refused to have it changed. The letter combinations "Jh" or "Gh" are sometimes used in the Spanish language to represent the English "J" sound, as the "J" in Spanish is normally pronounced as an English "H".

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, thanks. Sometimes I forget that basically anyone who has ever appeared on TV ends up with their own wiki page. I didn't even think to check for that.

Well if he's cool with it then I guess I'm cool with it. Carry on flaming each other, nothing to see here.

RedRover 10-17-2007 06:16 PM

I can't believe no one has used these 5 magic letters yet:

BABIP

It's basically the same for everyone and demonstrates why hitting the ball AT people in key situations is just bad luck.

adios 10-17-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i'm one of those cleveland fans that's actually still terrified. if beckett is beckett tomorrow, and boston wins, and then fausto isn't on, we're relying on westbrook to win a game 7 on the road...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly in no way is Cleveland home free in this series. If you look at Beckett's record he's basically had maybe one or two semi-bad outings this year. I mean the "bad" outings aren't even really bad. He hasn't really been shelled this year. Red Sox took it to Sabathia in game 1 too. Again Cleveland has to get to Red Sox starters early and vice versa IMO. Not likely to happen with Beckett on the hill. We'll see about Sabathia. I'm taking em one at a time and the Red Sox IMO are solid favorites in game 5.

kyro 10-17-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and i'm one of those cleveland fans that's actually still terrified. if beckett is beckett tomorrow, and boston wins, and then fausto isn't on, we're relying on westbrook to win a game 7 on the road...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly in no way is Cleveland home free in this series. If you look at Beckett's record he's basically had maybe one or two semi-bad outings this year. I mean the "bad" outings aren't even really bad. He hasn't really been shelled this year. Red Sox took to Sabathia in game 1 too. Again Cleveland has to get to Red Sox starters early and vice versa IMO. Not likely to happen with Beckett on the hill. We'll see about Sabathia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm optimistic. The Red Sox are a good team, whether they've played like one or not. Beckett tomorrow and then two games at Fenway. Anything can happen.

And hell. If it doesn't happen, we still have 2004 and a very successful season. And we'll have the Patriots. And KG. And the Bru...and the Patriots.

wiper 10-17-2007 06:24 PM

it has been a [censored] god-send to score first in every single game this series...

being up 3-0 is a little easier than being down.

adios 10-17-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly in no way is Cleveland home free in this series. If you look at Beckett's record he's basically had maybe one or two semi-bad outings this year. I mean the "bad" outings aren't even really bad. He hasn't really been shelled this year. Red Sox took to Sabathia in game 1 too. Again Cleveland has to get to Red Sox starters early and vice versa IMO. Not likely to happen with Beckett on the hill. We'll see about Sabathia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm optimistic. The Red Sox are a good team, whether they've played like one or not. Beckett tomorrow and then two games at Fenway. Anything can happen.

And hell. If it doesn't happen, we still have 2004 and a very successful season. And we'll have the Patriots. And KG. And the Bru...and the Patriots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the Red Sox should be a solid favorite in game 5 and then you're right, it's two games in Fenway.

Patriots are going undefeated, they have few obstacles but they're clearly the best team right now. Just have to stay healthy and they've had some injuries that should heal up.

BTW I think Beckett did get hit pretty hard when the Red Sox played the Rockies during the regular season [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

kyro 10-17-2007 06:39 PM

I would be thrilled if the Rockies hit Beckett hard again this year. Absolutely thrilled.

MuresanForMVP 10-17-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....QFT hahaha. Maybe Pedroia should worry less about slapping mitts and more about NOT GROUNDING OUT WEEKLY TO THIRD BASE EVERY SINGLE AT BAT AARRGRGGHHH

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure one thing all us 2p2ers can appreciate is obscene nittiness...

wiper 10-17-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well the Red Sox should be a solid favorite in game 5 and then you're right, it's two games in Fenway.

[/ QUOTE ]

solid favorite on the field? or solid betting favorite? because you guys and the yankees fans have made me a small micro-stakes fortune betting your boys up every game...

and kyro is a true fan. how stacked is boston sports nowadays??

KJS 10-17-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly in no way is Cleveland home free in this series. If you look at Beckett's record he's basically had maybe one or two semi-bad outings this year. I mean the "bad" outings aren't even really bad. He hasn't really been shelled this year. Red Sox took it to Sabathia in game 1 too. Again Cleveland has to get to Red Sox starters early and vice versa IMO. Not likely to happen with Beckett on the hill. We'll see about Sabathia. I'm taking em one at a time and the Red Sox IMO are solid favorites in game 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure the Tribe is favored in Game 5 either but you can make a good argument. CC is not notably worse than Beckett (better in many areas in fact), Tribe is hitting very well, and they are at home.

All I know for sure is that as a lifelong Indians fan (I'm 37) the fact that we have a longserving, Cy Young caliber pitcher starting a clinching game at home to go to World Series is totally unbelievably awesome. For CC's sake and mine, I hope he is lights freaking out.

KJS

wiper 10-17-2007 07:38 PM

kjs...i'm 'only' 28, but i'm with you.

however wary..

FlyWf 10-17-2007 07:54 PM

I believe Peralta's first name is intentional so that you'd pronounce the name "Johnny" in Spanish.

kyro 10-17-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Toro 10-17-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard on the radio a little while ago that the Sox had an optional workout and 4 guys didnt show. Paplebon, Ortiz, Crisp and Drew. I can live with Paplebon and Ortiz but how the [censored] do Drew and Crisp not even show. Absolutely pathetic if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have no problem if Drew and Crisp went out and got [censored] faced today. It will have no bearing on tomorrows game, might even help, who knows.

Let's just win one game tomorrow night and get this thing back to Fenway. If that happens, a little of the pressure shifts back to Cleveland.

ArcticKnight 10-17-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Manny is so ghey. Hey dude you're losing by 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's the attitude Manny has. But, he did look stupid doing his pose when the team is losing badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think he's very bright when it comes to this stuff. The first time he did it it was so awesome due to the moment it occurred and what a monster blast it was. He's done it after each HR since and he's looked a little more dumb each time. He probably thinks everyone thinks it's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, reminds me off a touchdown celebration when I get guys all excited in the third quarter cause his touchdown changed the score from 49-14 to 49-21.....Manny's not selfish, but he needs a PR person to tell him he's looking like a selfish prima-dona when he does this.

As I said before, if this wasn't the playoffs, he'd get one in the ribs next AB.

Toro 10-17-2007 08:17 PM

He got interviewed today, a rarity. The media is all bent out of shape because he said it was no big deal if they lost, that they would just come back and try to win it again next year. If you strictly just took his words verbatim, it sounds like he doesn't care but what i got out of what he was trying to say was that there was no way he was going to feel any pressure.

prohornblower 10-17-2007 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sorry, I should clarify for those viewing through Beantown goggles.

Coco Crisp...his name is Coco for Pete's sake.
Mike Lowell...ehh, he's meh...
Pedroia...nice A-Rod impression there, Gritty McGrit.
Drew...nobody likes this smug jagoff. lol.
Varitek..."look at me, I'm 'Captain Tek'" Tool.
Youkilis...the dude wiggles his ass when batting. I mean...wiggles his ass. If he was on some small market team he'd just be a rare ass-wiggling Jewish baseball player (in other words non-descript) but because he's on Boston he's "GREEK GOD OF WALKS ZOMG"
Julio Lugo...dude knocks in 80 ribbies just because he's on Boston, plus he's a wife-beater. What's to like?
Ortiz...fat guy, doesn't care to learn English.
Ramirez...suddenly thinks he's parting the Red Sea after every homerun!? Freaking bum man. Cut your hair.
Mirabelli...Dude has a job because he catches a knuckleball...
Ellsbury...makes a couple great plays in first week in Majors and suddenly ESPN plasters his face all over my TV.
Kielty...no problem with him.
Cora...no problem with him.
Beckett...meh...he's just ultra-cocky. Fine. He gets a 5-year pass for stuffing it down NYY throats in '03.
DICE-K! Hey, cool nickname fella! You "K" guys...and...your name sounds like "Dice", so we'll call you DICE-K! Isn't that neat? You also apparently won the Nobel Prize for inventing the Gyroball or something. Neat.
Schilling...I don't hate him as much as most do. Again, he gets a pass for stuffing the Yanks in '01.
Wakefield...meh, whatever...forgettable.
Lester...fine, beat cancer, he's cool with me. I felt for him.
Timlin....blah..whatevs.
Okajima...seems fine so far. Nothing to hate.
Papelbon...Hate his stupid open-mouth stare they plaster on my TV. Hate his lame Lord of the Dance thing or whatever the hell that is on Jurollo's avatar. Needs face punched. Apparently he can walk on water or something.
DElcarmen...not sure/seems like a great reliever.
Gagne...I have no problem with him.

Sure, these are very petty reasons to "hate" a team, but baseball fans are petty and I'm no different. I'm sorry, I just can't root for this gaggle of hoosiers.

I get that you might live in Boston or whatever and you grew up with this team and they are your team and you have unwavering loyalty, but those who have no connections to Boston really have nothing to root for when watching.

Hey, get back at me, tell me the Astros are playing golf right now. You would probably be right.

Toro 10-17-2007 08:27 PM

You put a lot of effort into that, lol.

prohornblower 10-17-2007 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nowhere near the amount of effort Eastern Sports Propaganda Network puts into plastering BOS/NYY bullcrap on my TV! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

kyro 10-17-2007 09:51 PM

From the Sports Guy's Running Diary

11:18: Mark from Philly offers an inspiring defense for Manny's home run preening: "When Manny went deep, my first thought was, 'Quit posing, Manny, we're still down 7-3.' Then it dawned on me that Manny probably had no idea what the score was. In fact, he probably isn't aware that baseball games are determined by which team scores more runs. Manny's only point of differentiation comes when, after hitting a home run, he sees his teammates waiting for him at home plate -- it's at that point he knows it's time to go to the strip club."

It's funny cuz it's true.

MuresanForMVP 10-18-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry I'm stupid. I realized that I made a mistake but the time to edit had passed and I had to go to class.

ADLinden 10-18-2007 01:45 AM

Wooo...going to Game 5. $100 right field upper deck FTW!

NT! 10-18-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nowhere near the amount of effort Eastern Sports Propaganda Network puts into plastering BOS/NYY bullcrap on my TV! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah because we all want to watch the astros put up a .450 OPS in the postseason again, that's a lot of fun

hmmm... largest sports markets in the country, what might they be? boston, NY, chicago, LA.

if you don't like seeing our teams all over the TV maybe you should stop living in the armpit of the country, put some people in the seats and get some players who don't blow wild ass. what business is going to cater to a bunch of empty seats in the astrodome? ESPN is a business, it's not their fault your market and your team of choice suck.

MuresanForMVP 10-18-2007 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah because we all want to watch the astros put up a .450 OPS in the postseason again, that's a lot of fun

hmmm... largest sports markets in the country, what might they be? boston, NY, chicago, LA.

if you don't like seeing our teams all over the TV maybe you should stop living in the armpit of the country, put some people in the seats and get some players who don't blow wild ass. what business is going to cater to a bunch of empty seats in the astrodome? ESPN is a business, it's not their fault your market and your team of choice suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Owned. PHB, you're an Astros fan right? What are you doing in here?

kidcolin 10-18-2007 02:50 AM

not exactly owned, as HOU does a fine job of filling the seats. Better than most the league, in fact. But in general, yeah, owned.

Lazy Meatball 10-18-2007 03:03 AM

A dollar gets you more at a strip club in Indianapolis than it does in cleveland.

KJS 10-18-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wooo...going to Game 5. $100 right field upper deck FTW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work, I hope they book it.

KJS

jh12547 10-18-2007 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not have said this any better.

We pay high prices and support our teams all year with millions of fans so why wouldnt networks go after it. One fine example is the D-Backs cant even sell out their ballpark for game 1 of a playoff series.