Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   ***Official US Open Thread (Oakmont)*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=426337)

RacersEdge 06-17-2007 09:14 PM

Re: ***Official US Open Thread (Oakmont)***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Furyk was okay, but could never find a shot when he needed it. Having stood on 17 for two days, I was absolute stunned today when Furyk tried to drive 17. It wasn't the play all week and it certainly wasn't the play today. He can only fault himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Furyk said he wasn't trying to drive the green on 17 becasue he didn't think he could even get it there with his driver. I don't know if that makes his decision to hit driver there better or worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Furyk acts like he can't slam the ball, but I mean.. who is he fooling?

Last year he switched to the Srixon driver, irons, and ball. So now he can really poke it (Say what!), work it (Yeah!), zero in on the pin (fire ONE!), and make it stop on a dime (LOVE IT IN THE LEATHA'.)

so I'm not exactly buying that he didn't think he could reach it. plus he just was coming off birdie/birdie/80-footer-an-inch-from-the-cup-for-birdie, so he had to be more than a little juiced up on that tee.

[/ QUOTE ]

His stats say he averages 274 - about 10 below tour averge. And 17 was playing 307 to the hole? Seems like he should have taken his "risk" by going right at the pin on his 2nd shot from 80 yards out instead.

thedarknight 06-17-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure Angel was joking through with the translator, didn't particularly enjoy his comment on "I was hoping Furyk and Tiger didn't make birdies."

[/ QUOTE ]

so he should have been pulling for them to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously with some sportsmanship should've just given them credit for being great players..not rooting for them to lose.

Bill Murphy 06-17-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure Angel was joking through with the translator, didn't particularly enjoy his comment on "I was hoping Furyk and Tiger didn't make birdies."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously with some sportsmanship should've just given them credit for being great players..not rooting for them to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude was exhausted, overwhelmed, doesn't speak English, and was very obviously joking. I'm sure he was expecting a playoff, and while not looking forward to it, would've been ready.

Cabrera certainly knows how the world rankings sit. Tiger & Furyk hardly need or want their dicks held, and I'm sure Angel gave them plenty of props in the press tent. Kinda nice IMO to hear something not straight out of a media consultant's guidebook, or of the 'it was God's will" variety.

Eurotrash 06-17-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cabrera certainly knows how the world rankings sit. Tiger & Furyk hardly need or want their dicks held, and I'm sure Angel gave them plenty of props in the press tent. Kinda nice IMO to hear something not straight out of a media consultant's guidebook, or of the 'it was God's will" variety.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with this very much.

thedarknight 06-17-2007 10:08 PM

After today's drama, can't wait for the British Open. Hope the arrival of Tiger's kid doesn't come during that week otherwise we probably won't see him compete.

Two seconds in a row at the majors is only going to motivate him some more. I remember he had a solid finish at Carnasty.

KotOD 06-17-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude was exhausted, overwhelmed, doesn't speak English, and was very obviously joking. I'm sure he was expecting a playoff, and while not looking forward to it, would've been ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that he was genuine in his joy after winning. He was happy, making jokes and you couldn't get the smile off of his face. I hope he wins more often if he's going to be that sort of a champion.

soon2b 06-17-2007 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that he was genuine in his joy after winning. He was happy, making jokes and you couldn't get the smile off of his face. I hope he wins more often if he's going to be that sort of a champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, he seems like a very nice, genuine guy. Obvlivious to all that was happening around him. On top of that, I felt he kept getting himself in worse spots than Tiger and Furyk, yet kept making amazing shots. Whereas Tiger and Furyk didnt seem to capitalize on alot of shots.

tuq 06-17-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I classified last year as better than good for Tiger, so a great year could be 2 majors I guess, especially ones where a player wins the opens as Jones mentioned once. I don't think he would consider many one major years great. Excellent, very good, etc.... I guess it depends. You KNOW Tiger would never consider a no-major year great. Maybe if he beat Nelson's record or something insane. But Tiger is about winning majors. Also, when I am talking great years, I mean special ones, years Tiger can expect maybe 2-3 of or something. Years that can at least be discussed with the best, Hogan's '53, Jones's slam, Nelson's '45, that kind of year.

[/ QUOTE ]

so... a year in which he has.. 7 (?) tournament victories in a row, 2 of which being the PGA Championship and Open Championship.. that is just a "better than good year?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I think HDPM may have short-term memory loss or something, since last year was great. WHICH IS WHY in this thread I contended that his year thus far hasn't been up to HIS standards. Let me try again: if he AND the writers paid to cover the sport both agree that there is something lacking, then maybe they're right? This tournament - particularly the weekend - was exactly the type of event in which last year he would send the others packing early while coasting to victory.

Yet despite Tiger blowing a final round lead in the Masters - playing in the final group - and despite being a complete non-factor in the only other truly big tournament thus far, The Players, I get lit up for simply agreeing with both Tiger and those that cover the game that he's not in peak form. This week was no different. He was like a racecar stuck in fourth.

Also, I don't get the nationality thing. Why would or should I care more if an American won it? This isn't the Ryder Cup. Good for Cabrera, he's a chubby smoker from a country wanting for national heroes. That's a great story and I'm happy for him.

holeplug 06-17-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I classified last year as better than good for Tiger, so a great year could be 2 majors I guess, especially ones where a player wins the opens as Jones mentioned once. I don't think he would consider many one major years great. Excellent, very good, etc.... I guess it depends. You KNOW Tiger would never consider a no-major year great. Maybe if he beat Nelson's record or something insane. But Tiger is about winning majors. Also, when I am talking great years, I mean special ones, years Tiger can expect maybe 2-3 of or something. Years that can at least be discussed with the best, Hogan's '53, Jones's slam, Nelson's '45, that kind of year.

[/ QUOTE ]

so... a year in which he has.. 7 (?) tournament victories in a row, 2 of which being the PGA Championship and Open Championship.. that is just a "better than good year?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I think HDPM may have short-term memory loss or something, since last year was great. WHICH IS WHY in this thread I contended that his year thus far hasn't been up to HIS standards. Let me try again: if he AND the writers paid to cover the sport both agree that there is something lacking, then maybe they're right? This tournament - particularly the weekend - was exactly the type of event in which last year he would send the others packing early while coasting to victory.

Yet despite Tiger blowing a final round lead in the Masters - playing in the final group - and despite being a complete non-factor in the only other truly big tournament thus far, The Players, I get lit up for simply agreeing with both Tiger and those that cover the game that he's not in peak form. This week was no different. He was like a racecar stuck in fourth.

Also, I don't get the nationality thing. Why would or should I care more if an American won it? This isn't the Ryder Cup. Good for Cabrera, he's a chubby smoker from a country wanting for national heroes. That's a great story and I'm happy for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think he doesn't give a crap about the Players. Agree with everything else you said though.

Eurotrash 06-17-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think he doesn't give a crap about the Players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he actually does care about it.