Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ~~~Unofficial Baseball Offseason Thread~~~ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=258653)

Scary_Tiger 12-08-2006 05:56 PM

Re: ~~~Unofficial Baseball Offseason Thread~~~

[ QUOTE ]
Pettite signs with the Yankees
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691380

I know most Yankees fans love him, but I've always felt he was a bit overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a lot closer to Barry Zito than Gil Meche.

Edit: He's easily worth this money, and it's a great deal for the Yankees. If he wasn't limiting himself to NYY/HOU, I imagine he could've easily gotten 4/54, 3/42.

THAY3R 12-08-2006 06:05 PM

His ERA last year of 4.2 pitching in the NL behind Adam Everett would probably project to over a 5 on the Yankees.

Scary_Tiger 12-08-2006 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His ERA last year of 4.2 pitching in the NL behind Adam Everett would probably project to over a 5 on the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but there's some value in that, Gil Meche probably would post a 6 or so. No mention of the best season in his career in 2005?

Dynasty 12-08-2006 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does his 2005 ERA of 2.39 project to?

mosdef 12-08-2006 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that posting a 4.2 ERA while pitching from behind the SS is pretty damn impressive!

Propertarian 12-08-2006 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's probably close to 5 (4.8 or so) but his ERA of 2.39 in 05 projects a lot better. His ERA last year was also a product of terrible hit luck; he had 178 ks but 238 hits allowed in 214 innings, leaving him with a babip of around .330 (27 hr allowed). This tends to even out to .290; it is not consistent from year to year for a pitcher.

He's a better bet than Lilly and way better than Meche, and didn't get a long term deal. I like this deal, although the contract the Pads gave Maddux is even better.

THAY3R 12-08-2006 06:15 PM

I'm not saying Pettite is horrible, just overrated. Especially his years on the Yankees.

THAY3R 12-08-2006 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's probably close to 5 (4.8 or so) but his ERA of 2.39 in 05 projects a lot better. His ERA last year was also a product of terrible hit luck; he had 178 ks but 238 hits allowed in 214 innings, leaving him with a babip of around .330 (27 hr allowed). This tends to even out to .290; it is not consistent from year to year for a pitcher.

He's a better bet than Lilly and way better than Meche, and didn't get a long term deal. I like this deal, although the contract the Pads gave Maddux is even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything in this post.
I am just saying that alot of Yankees fans thinks he's this really super duper awesome pitcher and a "winner" and all of that silly stuff.

Propertarian 12-08-2006 06:24 PM

"He's proven he can do it here, and win big games," one Yankee source said yesterday. "Over the last three years we have found out how important that can be."

And I agree with you that comments about being a "winner" and "having done it here" are meaningless.

What the Yankees in fact should have found out over the last three years is that Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright aren't good, Big Unit needs to be known as Big Ole Unit, and that pitcher's coming from NL pitcher's parks are going to find their ERA jump when moving to the Yankees.

Aceshigh7 12-08-2006 09:21 PM

Way to stab your hometown in the back Andy. Tell me, how much money is enough? I hope the Astros meet the Yanks in the WS and kick your ass.