Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Well: TheMetetron (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542379)

chiTown22 11-13-2007 11:12 PM

Re: The Well: TheMetetron

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you could go back in time a year and give yourself 1 bit of poker related advice, what would it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's a good question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that is. Give me some time to think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You didn't answer this question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't? Thought I did, but let me look back and if I didn't I'll do it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this question a lot. Did I over look the answer some where in here?
Edit: Found it. sometimes I think I'm going blind. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

MoP_86 11-13-2007 11:16 PM

Which Would you prefer to play at:

A small site with few players, and a lot of regs who mostly have stats which would define them as straight forward abc tags

or

A massive site with many unknowns and a healthy mix of abc tags and loose fish

chiTown22 11-13-2007 11:28 PM

What advice would you give someone who has a hard time walking the line between aggresion and spew. Aggression is good and you should apply pressure, but too much pressure = spew. I find its a fine line, and anyone who has played with me knows I tend to go too far sometimes.

chiTown22 11-13-2007 11:29 PM

Have you ever tried Rosetta Stone to learn a language? If so, is it worth the cost?

inverted 11-14-2007 01:34 AM

Ok, when you were moving up through the limits what were the toughest spots that you found? How did you deal with them and how do you deal with them now?

Further when do you overbet? board/opponent/pervious actions/hand ranges?

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which Would you prefer to play at:

A small site with few players, and a lot of regs who mostly have stats which would define them as straight forward abc tags

or

A massive site with many unknowns and a healthy mix of abc tags and loose fish

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at the later sites so apparently I chose that. Both type of sites do exist though.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Metetron,

how would your above advice change as you moved up in levels and your opponents became trickier (say NL100+)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It stays the same at almost any level until I get reads on players otherwise. At higher limits, I have to do different things as I have a lot more players with reads that they can be tricky.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What advice would you give someone who has a hard time walking the line between aggresion and spew. Aggression is good and you should apply pressure, but too much pressure = spew. I find its a fine line, and anyone who has played with me knows I tend to go too far sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tighten up considerably. Start playing from there and get looser only as you feel you see a very big +EV opening. This is the way I've progressed from nit to more regular TAG and it has ensured I never start taking things too far.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever tried Rosetta Stone to learn a language? If so, is it worth the cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rosetta Stone is fine as a supplement but will not teach you a language at all by itself. There really is no substitute for living in a country, but if you can't find that at least hire a tutor who is a native speaker of the language you want to learn and only converse with the person in that language.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, when you were moving up through the limits what were the toughest spots that you found? How did you deal with them and how do you deal with them now?

Further when do you overbet? board/opponent/pervious actions/hand ranges?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part is vague and I'm not sure if I understand.

The second part is pretty much only against fish when I feel they can't fold their good hand that I beat. Examples are me having AK on a JT9Q board when I think they have a K. In this case I'll massively overbet.

This has begun to make me think that perhaps I am missing opportunities to overbet against regulars. I'll have to think about this some more now. Generally it is a bad idea as a bluff though because your opponent has to fold so incredibly often that it isn't worth it. And if they will fold that often, usually a smaller bet would've done the trick.

FoldEqu1ty 11-14-2007 02:15 AM

Pics of yourself / your adventures?

MoP_86 11-14-2007 02:30 AM

Did you play/do you advocate a nittish game at small stakes or did you play an opened up game all through the different limits?

DaSpade 11-14-2007 03:14 AM

TM,

good posts all the way.

1) what are your suggestions to avoid burn out, or cope with it(include your experiences, if you will pl).
2) what would you suggest the transition be from a 2-tabler to a 4-tabler to a 6-tabler etc.
3) what's your peak point to date at poker....what's your bottom. Also, do you think you are still peaking(rise)or getting stagnant....?(poker wise, of course)
4) what do you say about the concept of "changing gears" during a normal session(table)....and a table full of regulars.

Thanks.

Phildo 11-14-2007 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the datamining i've seen suggests that there are very, very few players at any level on stars & full tilt sustaining long-term winrates > 3-4ptbb/100. in fact, there really aren't many sustaining winrates even that high.

yes, players sometimes enjoy 30k stretches at 6ptbb+, even 50-60k. but over 100k+ hands, winrates that high just do not appear to be sustainable.

[/ QUOTE ]
uh, maybe because anyone that wins 6+ptbb/100 over 30 or 40k hands moves up?

gieffe 11-14-2007 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently working on getting the Italian to an intermediate level in the next year before I move to Florence.

[/ QUOTE ]

vuoi scambiare lezioni di poker con lezioni di italiano?

Rollos 11-14-2007 05:05 AM

How often do you c/r flops? What criteria you use to determine a good spot for a c/r (on the flop)?
I'm asking this because it annoys me when people c/r me after I cbet, but it seems every time I try to do it to other people they call.
Also, how often do you bet the turn after a failed c/r on flop.

What is the most you've won in one day? Lost?

scallop 11-14-2007 07:21 AM

LOL @ This well.

"hey guys... I have no real problems with any aspect of the game - just a reminder"

JOHWN EDWARD STEP ASIDE.

74o_Clownsuit 11-14-2007 09:44 AM

Nice well Metetron. You're definitely inspiring me to get out and travel as it's been one of my biggest dreams for the longest time. Sorry if this has been answered before, but did you start getting into travel only because poker allowed you the luxury?

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ This well.

"hey guys... I have no real problems with any aspect of the game - just a reminder"

JOHWN EDWARD STEP ASIDE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf do you want me to do? Lie?

I definitely have problems with this game. Despite the millions of hands I've played variance makes me tilt. If I lose a few buyins one of two things happens: a) I shut everything down or b) I tilt off more buyins until a happens.

As far as the theoretical approach to this game and how to apply it I really don't have too many issues with the game and never did for any prolonged period of time. I'm not going to lie to inspire people or something.

Like I said variance is my biggest enemy. Losing a buyin at $25/50 sends me off the edge. The only other real problem I have is thinking everyone is always making a move at me especially when playing higher stakes. This is becoming much less of a problem recently.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice well Metetron. You're definitely inspiring me to get out and travel as it's been one of my biggest dreams for the longest time. Sorry if this has been answered before, but did you start getting into travel only because poker allowed you the luxury?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wanted to travel but never even went farther then Baja California in Mexico until I started playing poker. It just wasn't possible when you can barely afford to live.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you c/r flops? What criteria you use to determine a good spot for a c/r (on the flop)?
I'm asking this because it annoys me when people c/r me after I cbet, but it seems every time I try to do it to other people they call.
Also, how often do you bet the turn after a failed c/r on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you mean if I just called preflop from the blinds or something like that. Depends a lot on the texture of the board and how often the guy c-bets. Someone c-betting 90% of flops is going to get c/r'd a lot more than someone c-betting 60%. Also, lower card flops or flops like J65 with 2 spades are money flops for c/r'ing. I will only rarely follow through on the turn without a specific read that the guy will fold to the turn bet.

On the flip side of this one of the things I'm really good at is spotting [censored] c/r'ing me on the flop with air. Learn how to do it yourself and watch for others trying to pull the same thing on you. If you can narrow their range down to air/set, your cards no longer matter and I'd call their c/r with anything.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the most you've won in one day? Lost?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think won is about $15k and lost is around $8k.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you play/do you advocate a nittish game at small stakes or did you play an opened up game all through the different limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played nittish at small stakes, but people can play however loose they are comfortable with. I just wasn't ready for it until I got to MSNL.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pics of yourself / your adventures?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/592/raftingsu4.jpg

Here's one from last week when I went rafting on the Chilean/Argentine border.

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, I don't only play at Party Poker (but "American" sites too!) and do so for a reason: Party Poker isn't some sort of golden promise land where money grows off trees. The regulars there, are surprise, surprise, better than the regulars on any other site. I know, who would've guessed.

[/ QUOTE ]

the datamining i've seen suggests that there are very, very few players at any level on stars & full tilt sustaining long-term winrates > 3-4ptbb/100. in fact, there really aren't many sustaining winrates even that high.

yes, players sometimes enjoy 30k stretches at 6ptbb+, even 50-60k. but over 100k+ hands, winrates that high just do not appear to be sustainable.

have you played 100k+ hands at any one level on a US site at > 6ptbb/100? have you played 100k+ cumulatively on US sites at > 6ptbb/100?

if you say you have, i'll believe you. but i just want to confirm this before i proceed to additional questions. you've described yourself as a >6ptbb/100 winner, but i just want to make sure that you've truly established that to be accurate on US sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

My push towards incorporating other sites into my game is fairly recent so I don't yet have 100k hands at non-US sites. When I do, I'll post results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back on my datamining for Party, the biggest winner with a sample of over 50k hands aside from me is 5.5 PTBB/100 over 55k hands over my datamining of around 2 million hands at $3/6+. No one else is above 4.5 PTBB/100.

Now, I'll admit my sample size of 2 million raw hands isn't huge, but it isn't insignificant either. I don't think there are many people on any sites pulling in 6 PTBB/100 or more long-term, so I feel proud of what I've accomplished.

Snipe 11-14-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Despite the millions of hands I've played variance makes me tilt. If I lose a few buyins one of two things happens: a) I shut everything down or b) I tilt off more buyins until a happens.

The only other real problem I have is thinking everyone is always making a move at me especially when playing higher stakes. This is becoming much less of a problem recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

First - thanks for taking the time to answering my q above. Very helpful and appreciated.

Second - your major issues sound like things eveyone goes through - what have you done to help minimize / cope with them?

Personally, I can play my A game for quite a week in god mode and somehow manage to have one bad run bad / play worse session undo quite a bit of that work. Would love to know how you deal with this.

dirtylobster 11-14-2007 07:35 PM

That's something I've been thinking about also. When I run bad/breakeven I can put in insane amounts in both playing hands and studying but when I've been on a roll a few days I get very unmotivated. Have you had these kinds of problems and if so, how have you tackled them?

Btw. wells usually don't run for more than 24 hours but I don't mind at all, as long as you're willing to answer our questions. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TheMetetron 11-14-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's something I've been thinking about also. When I run bad/breakeven I can put in insane amounts in both playing hands and studying but when I've been on a roll a few days I get very unmotivated. Have you had these kinds of problems and if so, how have you tackled them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely have this problem. Let me know when you fix it.

[ QUOTE ]
Second - your major issues sound like things eveyone goes through - what have you done to help minimize / cope with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I minimize the tilt by trying to stop playing when I lose a few buyins. Even a 30 minute break to clear your head can do wonders for your game.

I combated thinking everyone was making a move on me turning me into a spewtard by slowing down during hands and looking at a players numbers and thinking things through before acting. It may seem like this guy is always playing back at me but his numbers don't support him doing that often enough for me to go crazy here. Helped a ton.

[ QUOTE ]
Btw. wells usually don't run for more than 24 hours but I don't mind at all, as long as you're willing to answer our questions. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah wasn't really sure on how that worked. I figure if people were still asking questions I should answer them. Still let's try to not clog this forum and wrap this all up soon.

DaSpade 11-15-2007 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TM,

good posts all the way.

1) what are your suggestions to avoid burn out, or cope with it(include your experiences, if you will pl).
2) what would you suggest the transition be from a 2-tabler to a 4-tabler to a 6-tabler etc.
3) what's your peak point to date at poker....what's your bottom. Also, do you think you are still peaking(rise)or getting stagnant....?(poker wise, of course)
4) what do you say about the concept of "changing gears" during a normal session(table)....and a table full of regulars.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

may be u missed this one?

otter 11-15-2007 02:31 AM

This is great advice about autopiloting. Often that's my problem. I play live $5-10nl for a living w/ a bunch of the same people day in and day out and I sometimes don't take the time to think through the hand especially after 4 or 5 hours of play. Also don't put a person on one hand and stick through it the whole way. Put them on a range of hands and readjust as the action progresses.

sdplayerb 11-15-2007 10:00 PM

what % do you look for on a players went to showdown to consider it to be too much?

Thanks

SD