Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Rivalry (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540768)

RR 11-11-2007 12:10 AM

Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
I had a buddy who used to play football for OSU (2002-2004). He said EVERY week there was a portion of practice dedicated to Michigan. They did this for no other team. Before the season even starts, OSU football is watching Michigan game tape or practicing against a scout team mimicking Michigan personnel. It didn't matter if we were facing Penn State or Akron, OSU is prepping for Michigan. This is one of the reasons I feel Jim Tressel has an edge of Lloyd Carr. He knows this game is of the utmost importance to EVERY Ohio State fan, student, and alumni.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is tradition in Columbus. John Cooper didn't get this.

RR 11-11-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
most older big11ten fans would still prefer the Rose Bowl over everything else

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister is happy OSU lost today. She views this BCS thing as a way to screw OSU out of the Rose Bowl.

lastchance 11-11-2007 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most older big11ten fans would still prefer the Rose Bowl over everything else

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister is happy OSU lost today. She views this BCS thing as a way to screw OSU out of the Rose Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]
o0.

jgunnip 11-13-2007 03:32 PM

Bump.

This airs tonight.

ADLinden 11-13-2007 03:38 PM

what channel is it on?

jgunnip 11-13-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what channel is it on?

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys don't read very well do you?

ADLinden 11-13-2007 03:54 PM

im a lazy guy, scrolling up takes a lot of energy

ikestoys 11-13-2007 04:55 PM

As a varsity athlete at Michigan (non-football), I'll tell you that the rivalry extends beyond football, beyond sports and into the very fabric of each school. I'm not good enough with words to describe my hatred for OSU, from screwed there myself to them searching our football players with police dogs to their [censored] standards for academics. [censored] em

pirateboy 11-13-2007 05:12 PM

The most underrated rivalry in sports is Alabama/Tennessee

jgunnip 11-13-2007 07:41 PM

I remember two years ago when Michigan played Ohio State in baseball in our first ever night game and was televised nationally on ESPN. We romped them 11-3 and the Tosu starter gave us the finger after getting yanked at the beginning of an 8 run 5th inning. BLOWING UP YOUR E-R-A. ITS ALL YOUR FAULT! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT! good times.

JaredL 11-13-2007 08:44 PM

I find it more funny than others I've shown but maybe some here will agree. Here's a Daily Show clip from when they were filming in Columbus.

Annulus 11-13-2007 09:26 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]Yayyy, just scored some Mich-osu tickets from a dude on craigslist. decent endzones seats for $175. im just happy to make my first 'game' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. just checked the weather its says high of 43, with scattered showers. which sucks but its all good. of course today was just beautiful in ann arbor, sunny and 62 degrees.

Hornacek 11-14-2007 12:18 AM

tehehehe John Cooper

KUJustin 11-14-2007 12:19 AM

Not positive, but I believe the "Border War" between Kansas and Missouri is the only rivalry in the US based on an actual war.

Also, only Minnesota and Wisconsin have more meetings than KU and MU.

Mizzou sucking hard at basketball has really killed the rivalry of late, but if these football teams can keep this up for a few years it will easily surpass the OSU/UM rivalry in terms of annoying ESPN babble thanks to the more compelling history and equal amount of hate.

TomCollins 11-14-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not positive, but I believe the "Border War" between Kansas and Missouri is the only rivalry in the US based on an actual war.

Mizzou sucking hard at basketball has really killed the rivalry of late, but if these football teams can keep this up for a few years it will easily surpass the OSU/UM rivalry in terms of annoying ESPN babble thanks to the more compelling history and equal amount of hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect. Toledo War

damaniac 11-14-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's undisputed that we (Michigan) got the best of that deal (by far).

FlyWf 11-14-2007 12:35 AM

This was really excellent, it has a lot of excellent material for my 2 minutes hate.

KUJustin 11-14-2007 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Toledo War (1835–1836), also known as the Ohio-Michigan War, was the bloodless boundary dispute between the U.S. state of Ohio and the adjoining territory of Michigan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, I stand corrected.

Franchise 60 11-14-2007 03:31 AM

Pretty awesome doc (non mich/osu fan), really enjoyed it, too bad this thread is full of retarded arguing.

Did the reporter with the uneven goatee send anyone else on tilt?

ADLinden 11-14-2007 03:44 AM

is there anywhere to watch this if u don't get HBO?

Zimmer4141 11-14-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty awesome doc (non mich/osu fan), really enjoyed it, too bad this thread is full of retarded arguing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he wasn't too bad.

The only thing that tilted me was that Ohio State alums/fans had 3 or 4 analogies that made no sense. If I rewatch it then I'll post them here. Probably hick quotes that you only get if you're a Buckeye fan.

jgunnip 11-14-2007 02:21 PM

those buckeye hogs singing that one don't give a damn song made me lol outloud

jgunnip 11-14-2007 02:22 PM

also the redneck go bucks guy was hilarious

jgunnip 11-14-2007 02:23 PM

Tosu dans: "[censored] you Desmond!!"

Desmond: "Thank your"

damaniac 11-14-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he wasn't too bad.

The only thing that tilted me was that Ohio State alums/fans had 3 or 4 analogies that made no sense. If I rewatch it then I'll post them here. Probably hick quotes that you only get if you're a Buckeye fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one objection I heard (and I have yet to see it) is that, from about 1990 on, they focused solely on the Buckeyes, the horror of the Cooper Era and rebirth under Tressel. This is a reasonable storyline, I guess, but they could probably have also focused on the season-saving joy that 95 and 96 brought and the lead-in to the great 97 season. Also, no one talked to Carr, and if I understand correctly this was simply because they didn't contact him, despite him being 1) the current coach and 2) being on the sidelines since 1980. I realize Lloyd is not the most open with the media but I think he could give some interesting thoughts on the rivalry.

jgunnip 11-14-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he wasn't too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one objection I heard (and I have yet to see it) is that, from about 1990 on, they focused solely on the Buckeyes, the horror of the Cooper Era and rebirth under Tressel. This is a reasonable storyline, I guess, but they could probably have also focused on the season-saving joy that 95 and 96 brought and the lead-in to the great 97 season. Also, no one talked to Carr, and if I understand correctly this was simply because they didn't contact him, despite him being 1) the current coach and 2) being on the sidelines since 1980. I realize Lloyd is not the most open with the media but I think he could give some interesting thoughts on the rivalry.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did mention the 91 and 95 games. that was it. I actually remember being shocked there wasn't even any mention of the 100th meeting in 2003.

Zimmer4141 11-14-2007 02:53 PM

Yeah, I was very surprised that there was no mention of Lloyd Carr in the documentary. He's kind of an important part of this rivalry, as he's been on the sidelines for 27 years.

FlyWf 11-14-2007 05:10 PM

The documentary really stopped caring after Woody's death, really. It mentioned Cooper in passing and Tressel for a little bit, but it devoted a ton of time to 1968-1978, for obvious reasons, and after it lost it's "main character" in Woody it kind of just flash forwarded to today.