Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   November [censored] thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536084)

Thremp 11-28-2007 02:42 PM

Re: November [censored] thread

Jihad,

Why don't you try writing for Flex or maybe T-nation before you waste our time and yours with some sort of half-cocked "article" (when I type that I out I feel the same way I feel when rappers or gang leaders refer to other perps as being assassinated).

I'm just scared someone will follow your advice.

SmileyEH 11-28-2007 02:52 PM

Thousands of great (not elite) rock climbers can easily do multiple one-arm pullups. None of them have bodies anything close to "triangular".

Thremp 11-28-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thousands of great (not elite) rock climbers can easily do multiple one-arm pullups. None of them have bodies anything close to "triangular".

[/ QUOTE ]

Realtive strengthaments.

I didn't know if it was the idea that he should ask permission to write an article, needed some sort of validation, or the fact it'll likely be terrible advice that put me on tilt more this morning.

Jihad 11-28-2007 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jihad,

Why don't you try writing for Flex or maybe T-nation before you waste our time and yours with some sort of half-cocked "article" (when I type that I out I feel the same way I feel when rappers or gang leaders refer to other perps as being assassinated).

I'm just scared someone will follow your advice.

[/ QUOTE ]Jesus Christ why do you consistently go so far out of your way to be a dick with your responses? This is supposed to be a friendly forum for open discussion of myriad fitness topics. You seem to think that just because I've had different experiences than you, reacted differently to training techniques than you, and have read less articles than you, nothing I say is valid despite any results that you may or may not have read about. Its not just me either, it seems like every time your responding to somebody its filled with animosity and vitriol if they either disagree with you or appear to have less experience than you.

I have no problem with the advice you give, although I generally ignore it because of the tone you take with everybody, because a great deal of it is very informative and helpful to a lot of people. But here's the thing, not everybody on here is as serious as you, as informed as you, or as experienced as you, so maybe you should just settle down a bit and focus on warmly inviting people to get in shape the proper way.

One thing that you're consistently wrong about, and need to correct yourself on to be taken seriously, is that you always give the appearance that you don't realize that some things work differently for different people than they would for you. Your workout program undoubtedly suffers from that close-mindedness, and your validity as a poster most definetely does. You should know (you obviously spend a lot of time reading up on stuff) that there are different body types that respond differently to everything from nutrition to lifting routines. Why not embrace that and try to learn something rather than trying to constantly establish your dominance on this board.

Last thing I'll say WRT you involving yourself in this topic with such a negative response... I haven't read your log in a while, but I'm pretty sure that next to you I am a [censored] house. There is picture proof on this board of the success that I've had building a large and shredded back. Why not soak up what I have to say, constructively critique what you think is wrong, and then engage yourself in a conversation that would likely have a large positive impact on the readers of the thread. Either that or post a "gay" picture of your back, then talk about how you got there and how perfect your program is, and why you're better than me.

SmileyEH 11-28-2007 03:05 PM

Pile ON!

Maybe our response have something to do with this:

[ QUOTE ]
he main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

cbloom 11-28-2007 03:10 PM

Maybe you should let him post the article before you start making fun of it.

Jihad 11-28-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You're right, def. concede to that point. I used to climb a lot in college and was always amazed at what kind of power the skinny dudes had. I guess I'm just referring to people that are mainly in the gym lifting, looking for size as well as strength. I can only imagine how strong I would have to be to break off a 1-arm @ 220#, lol. My 1RM on a regular pulldown is somewhere around 340ish, and I don't think I'd be anywhere CLOSE to those.

Oh and I remember seeing some pretty badass Bruce Lee video's doing a bunch of strength demos, and I was always blown away at how distinctly triangular his back was. Like perfectly geometrical, lol.

Thremp 11-28-2007 03:12 PM

Jihad,

I know different things work for different people. For the first few years of lifting... The same things work for everyone. After several years of putzing around... You'll figure out what works for you.

Also you're much much bigger than me. Does it matter? I deride your advice since its terrible. If people did the same workouts as you (sans juice) they'd likely become overtrained and start taking steps backward almost immediately. Half your workouts could be in Flex. FFS.

Also yeah, the Smiley quote was spot on. I don't think anyone who is doing a combination of O lifts/rows/Pull ups is really going to have more than a pittance of improvement to optimal.

Jihad 11-28-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pile ON!

Maybe our response have something to do with this:

[ QUOTE ]
he main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I'm sorry, I was trying to make it clear that was a gross generalization, I'm generally pretty sarcastic and that doesn't always come across online. There are a TON of people that are way bigger/more shredded than I am, and they would correct me on a lot of stuff that I do while lifting, but I do see/hear a lot of very big mistakes.

Jihad 11-28-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jihad,

I know different things work for different people. For the first few years of lifting... The same things work for everyone. After several years of putzing around... You'll figure out what works for you.

Also you're much much bigger than me. Does it matter? I deride your advice since its terrible. If people did the same workouts as you (sans juice) they'd likely become overtrained and start taking steps backward almost immediately. Half your workouts could be in Flex. FFS.

Also yeah, the Smiley quote was spot on. I don't think anyone who is doing a combination of O lifts/rows/Pull ups is really going to have more than a pittance of improvement to optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]Out of curiosity, and I mean this question to be as serious and far away from the mudslinging as possible, how do you define overtraining? And to what end (goal) are you relating your definition to? Obviously there has to be a separation of the definition based on the goal you are training to (i.e. power vs. speed vs. endurance vs. shredding). I know you have said several times that my workouts put me well into "overtraining" and I couldn't disagree more, but I'd like to know if you have some key factors for defining the term.

Thremp 11-28-2007 03:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html
http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...chexercise.htm

I'm honestly curious why you think you are fit to give other people advice. You espouse one of the worst viewpoints in any possible field (if he's better at it than me, he must be able to give good advice. LOLZ If I see Reggie Miller teaching anyone how to shoot a jump shot I'm gonna stab him in the knee with a ball point pen and whisk him away lest he causes more harm.)

Also for clarification, I don't know if you are overtraining. But 99% of people trying to do that type of workout will be overtrained.

Jihad 11-28-2007 03:40 PM

I don't think I really implied, or at least didn't mean to, that my advice should be taken because I'm "better" than anybody. I do, however have a lot of experience, and have a lot of success in certain areas. Writing down my ideas on how to properly lift back does not at all mean that I wouldn't be open for criticism or outright disagreement, and attach no other merit to any advice that I give other than anecdotal, whether that be via my experiences or friends/gymrats.

Thremp 11-28-2007 03:42 PM

Whatev. All opinions are not equal. I think yours is terrible and shouldn't be shared with anyone lest someone unknowing overhear.

thirddan 11-28-2007 03:43 PM

jihad, post your article and have people discuss it...or make it more of a list of do/don'ts and have people add the experiences that they have had or seen...im always down to read something, and i would imagine that thremp is too, even if he is a hater [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] you can't be responsible for what people do with your advice/experiences so just post it with a warning that what you wrote worked for you and may not be the most optimal method for everyone else...

Rootabager 11-28-2007 03:46 PM

" I haven't read your log in a while, but I'm pretty sure that next to you I am a [censored] house."

SCOREBOARD MOTHER [censored]

AZK 11-28-2007 05:47 PM

let me rephrase...i do want a strong back, i have no interest in body building, some of my goals include rattling off pull ups like they are nothing, weighted pulls and eventually maybe a one arm pull up.

SmileyEH 11-28-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
let me rephrase...i do want a strong back, i have no interest in body building, some of my goals include rattling off pull ups like they are nothing, weighted pulls and eventually maybe a one arm pull up.

[/ QUOTE ]

pull up progression program

theblackkeys 11-28-2007 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, def not gonna happen. If you can do a one arm pull up, you are triangular.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol edit: 0:31

[ QUOTE ]
The main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough PUMPAGE?

[/ QUOTE ]Can't get youtube at work, summarize? I can't tell if I'm being mocked here or not, I'm stoopid. Care to clarify?

[/ QUOTE ]
the video is of some guy rock climbing.

theblackkeys 11-28-2007 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf dude! How long have you been holding back on me?

Jihad 11-28-2007 08:37 PM

Jesus the guys I see at gyms sometimes truly amaze me. I often times feel like I'm in some sort of alternate universe, where "ultra-macho" and just plain "gay" have joined in a unified front for an assault on humanity.

Today I was on the leg press machine as my second heavy leg set, doing a good deal somewhere in the 4 figures, and there was some douche and his wierdo trainer on the squat rack beside me with, eventually, 295# loaded up. Every time I started pressing, he would start rooting me on, screaming at me to "push it out" and "make it count", even though I am very solitary and intense (which is very obvious) and I wear an iPod. But the fun part was when he started lifting. It was extremely obvious that there was absolutely no way this guy properly lifts that, so I kinda watch the retard show, and the dudes trainer (gym employee) is going batshit crazy trying to pump this guy up. I wonder why this guy is no kidding FIXING HIS HAIR IN THE MIRROR, but I quickly figure it out when I realize that his trainer is video taping him. Of course he's doing 1/3 squats at the MOST, but there's his trainer yelling at him telling him how awesome his form is, and while he's doing it you can completely tell that he's trying hard to look good for the camera WHILE HE'S "NAILING" THE LIFT!

As soon as he gets done, he runs over to the trainer and asks to see the video which they hoot and hollar about for like a minute, until he STARTS POSING FOR PICTURES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEIGHT ROOM! He leaves to get water, and turns around screaming "yo, what was that? 295? 295 6 times? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"

When he comes back from getting water, they talk about his pictures, saying things like "check out the striation in my shoulders" and "dude you totally nailed 295, we're gonna do like 315 next week". Sorry for the rant, but the trainer teaching this guy something thats eventually gonna snap him in half and then encouraging that kinda ridiculous behavior is way outside of "appropriate".

Blarg 11-28-2007 08:47 PM

Haha, people will do anything for money.

It's hard to turn away when you figure someone might get hurt.

Jihad 11-28-2007 08:55 PM

I asked a trainer that I respect about that guy, and he said that there is huge drama because he rakes tons more dough/clients than most, but he is basically a sellout. I told him that someday that guy was gonna hurt somebody, and he said "management doesn't care cause the $ is big." Ridic.

Jihad 11-28-2007 09:05 PM

Jesus....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-t8...eature=related

dethgrind 11-29-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf dude! How long have you been holding back on me?

[/ QUOTE ]Seriously, that website is full of awesome tutorials. Great name too, www.beastskills.com

POKEROMGLOL 11-30-2007 05:39 AM

Ok, i have a question. I have ~16 days to lose 7 pounds.

I am going to be eating verry strict and working out tons.

For cardio, should i do like 6 mile runs, HIIT, or just some sort of crossfit-ish type things, purely to drop weight.

Also, I am going to continue to do deadlifts, pull ups, pushups, bench, and some other stuff.. is this a good idea?

I know HIIT works in the long run, but I don't know what is better to have on the scale weight effects in 2 weeks.

thirddan 11-30-2007 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, i have a question. I have ~16 days to lose 7 pounds.

I am going to be eating verry strict and working out tons.

For cardio, should i do like 6 mile runs, HIIT, or just some sort of crossfit-ish type things, purely to drop weight.

Also, I am going to continue to do deadlifts, pull ups, pushups, bench, and some other stuff.. is this a good idea?

I know HIIT works in the long run, but I don't know what is better to have on the scale weight effects in 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are just concerned with scale weight then do your normal workout + hiit + absolutely no carbs and you will drop enough body water to lose 7lbs no problem...

POKEROMGLOL 11-30-2007 06:12 PM

sounds good, as i go through the day, i notice it is really really really hard to not eat carbs.

Greeksquared 12-01-2007 02:31 PM

Anyone else think there needs to be a testicular cancer sticky at the top, or at least a thread about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_cancer

"Over his lifetime, a man's risk of testicular cancer is roughly 1 in 250" from wiki.

Another good site is here

http://www.cancercare.on.ca/index_ca...inyoungmen.htm

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...rincidence.gif

Seems like a few 2p2'ers will get afflicted this year. I wouldn't be suprised if >20 have already dealt with it to some degree.

I don't have time to make a good thread this week but since I've had personal experience I've wanted to do this for a long time and just wanted to get a little response here first. I suppose it's a little embarassing but it's so stupidly common for our age group and also suprising that there is no heads up anywhere on these forums especially here on health and fitness that it needs to be done.

SmileyEH 12-01-2007 02:52 PM

Dammit, and to think I was just about in the clear when it came to Sciczophrenia. Now this!

Seriously though, good post Greeksquared.