Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Official NBA Regular Season 07-08 Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509272)

Ralph Wiggum 09-30-2007 02:31 AM

Re: The Official NBA Regular Season 07-08 Thread

I think the Grizz could also be fun to watch. Their new coach is from the Suns' staff, so they may put up points fast.

Pudge714 09-30-2007 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assani,
As others have pointed out your analogy is really flawed.
I said earlier I would bet you at 24.5. Do you accept?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop avoiding my question. I am willing to make a bet perhaps, but please answer my question:

How many points do you think Durant will average this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

NicksDad1970 09-30-2007 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really want to get into the NBA this year but don't have a team, per se.

I always enjoyed watching the Kings but I have no real connection to Sacramento being as I'm from Tennessee.

And the Grizzlies, man do they suck.

Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well either look for a team that you like, go for the Grizzlies, or change you like by how many wins they have.

IMO, The Grizzlies have done as much as anyone in the offseason. They picked up a good guard (maybe not good initially). Got Pau happy by getting his best friend on the team. Got the (again arguably) the best center available right now, and a coach that a lot of others were going after as well.

So look at them as a possible team to root for. But if you have to root for a team to make the playoffs every year go for Dallas or Phoenix.

IrishHand 09-30-2007 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, The Grizzlies have done as much as anyone in the offseason. They picked up a good guard (maybe not good initially). Got Pau happy by getting his best friend on the team. Got the (again arguably) the best center available right now, and a coach that a lot of others were going after as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the teams in the NBA either resigned or picked up a "good" guard by that criteria - if Navarro is more Manu than Jasikevicius (other "best guard outside the NBA before they came to the NBA" guys), then he'll have an impact. He could just as easily be a handy bench guy or spot starter.

Pau was happy when they were winning, as are most players. If I had a crappy job, I would not like my job any more because my best friend had a crappy job at the same company. If anything, I'd be more likely to hang out with by buddy rather than put in any extra effort. You know, do fantasy sports leagues, take two-hour lunches, take an afternoon off to enjoy some quality XBox 360 gaming action.

Milicic was by no means the best C available. His "breakout" production was what? 7 and 7? He's Chris Mihm, only young (and with a few more BPG). Speaking of which, Mihm was available for half the price. More to the point, signing Milicic took them out of getting Nocioni or Varajeo with that same cap room - guys who are probably both better players and better fits for the Suns system I assume they'll be trying to install. Jamaal Magloire's another guy who went well cheap and will likely give you the same production. I just have a hard time buying into the "potential to be very good" argument when a guy's had two years of opportunity and four years of NBA coaching/prep and he's still a poor starting option. Most guys that appeared to be busts after 4 years were just that. The only exception I can think of was J. O'Neal, but he was buried behind quality players in Portland. Milicic was "buried" behind Tony Battie and was given every chance to succeed.

Don't get me wrong...if Memphis can embrace a Suns style and miraculously fit it (I don't think they have the personnel - but then again, I didn't think Toronto had the personnel and I was completely wrong there), then they could surprise...but in the West, for them, I think surprising is 35-40 wins and a late lottery ticket.

NicksDad1970 09-30-2007 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the teams in the NBA either resigned or picked up a "good" guard by that criteria - if Navarro is more Manu than Jasikevicius (other "best guard outside the NBA before they came to the NBA" guys), then he'll have an impact. He could just as easily be a handy bench guy or spot starter.

Pau was happy when they were winning, as are most players. If I had a crappy job, I would not like my job any more because my best friend had a crappy job at the same company. If anything, I'd be more likely to hang out with by buddy rather than put in any extra effort. You know, do fantasy sports leagues, take two-hour lunches, take an afternoon off to enjoy some quality XBox 360 gaming action.

Milicic was by no means the best C available. His "breakout" production was what? 7 and 7? He's Chris Mihm, only young (and with a few more BPG). Speaking of which, Mihm was available for half the price. More to the point, signing Milicic took them out of getting Nocioni or Varajeo with that same cap room - guys who are probably both better players and better fits for the Suns system I assume they'll be trying to install. Jamaal Magloire's another guy who went well cheap and will likely give you the same production. I just have a hard time buying into the "potential to be very good" argument when a guy's had two years of opportunity and four years of NBA coaching/prep and he's still a poor starting option. Most guys that appeared to be busts after 4 years were just that. The only exception I can think of was J. O'Neal, but he was buried behind quality players in Portland. Milicic was "buried" behind Tony Battie and was given every chance to succeed.

Don't get me wrong...if Memphis can embrace a Suns style and miraculously fit it (I don't think they have the personnel - but then again, I didn't think Toronto had the personnel and I was completely wrong there), then they could surprise...but in the West, for them, I think surprising is 35-40 wins and a late lottery ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nocioni wasn't coming to the Grizz. Chicago said, I know they can say anything they want, the WERE resigning him. I don't know what they did to make Mem believe it but they left him alone. Part of me is thinking Chicago actually made him a good offer. Please correct me on that.

The center situation was tough. Believe me the least fav word in Mem is potential. After Big Country and Stromile Swift I believe it's illegal to say that word in the FedEx Forum.

With Navarro that makes Pau happy. Pau had a couple good years when we double sucked. So, not that I don't agree winse=automatic happiness, losses doesn't always mean what you say. Pau has demanded trades and Mgmt wanted to stroke him a bit. I believe Navarro is playing for less than zero this year.....then again part of what he owes Barcelona might be deferred.

Anyway back tot the center issue Mags has been on the decline bigtime hasn't he? Jerm just wasn't coming here. He was leaving a losing team so he could join a powerhouse. Plus I couldn't see Memphis paying 20 mil over the next 3 years for him. Just curious but do you think Jerm is worth that?

I think what we paid Milicic was good for both sides. I think we signed him for 2 years with a team option for a third. By then the guy will be in his mid-twenties and we'll be the third team to have to make that decision.

I didn't know Mags wet that cheap. I think NJ signed him for 1 year for 4mil. The Grizz went after him hard 2 years ago when he was in NOOK. Maybe he just doesn't like ribs?

Ralph Wiggum 09-30-2007 10:40 AM

The difference between Darko & Mihm is one may not get any better, but the other can't.

tdarko 09-30-2007 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is this thread about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I am going to go on a limb and say the NBA Regular Season 07-08.

IrishHand 09-30-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference between Darko & Mihm is one may not get any better, but the other can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - but I would offer that the difference in their production for this coming season (assuming each got 30-35 mpg at C for Memphis) would be negligible.

kidcolin 09-30-2007 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - but I would offer that the difference in their production for this coming season (assuming each got 30-35 mpg at C for Memphis) would be negligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

and one's paid like Chris Mihm, the other is paid like 3 of him.

tuq 09-30-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq ruins every thread

poor lonely fat man talks and posts way too much since he has nothing better to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. W.T.F.?

Assani is just being cute and I felt like directing him in the direction of posting actual content, not making the same dumb post over and over again.

You are right that I am fat and have nothing better to do. I don't think I'm lonely however. But pretty sweet diss IMO.

On topic, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Iavaroni. Not sure how he'll do at the helm in Memphis but he will be missed by the Suns. I'm not sure if or how much his loss will matter though, since NBA teams these days tend to have around 27 assistant coaches and there seems to be an unending supply of replacement candidates. Maybe they'll get Larry Brown to replace him.

NicksDad1970 09-30-2007 02:26 PM

I don't think Iavaroni will hurt Phoenix much but I believe he'll do great in Memphis. I think we will be ok this year (as a year of learning the system) then hope for the playoffs in the next year or two. If he can get us to win ONE game in the playoffs it'll be mroe than we've ever done before.

tuq 09-30-2007 02:33 PM

NicksDad,

He seems to be a good guy and popular with the players, what's important to me is that he's not put in a hopeless situation in which he's doomed to failure and will never get another crack at a head coaching gig. Provided of course he is actually a decent head coach.

Interesting fact: the Suns, maybe because they're cheap in this regards, always promote from within. Even Jerry Colangelo was a head coach for awhile in the early 70s. Westphal, Ainge, Skiles, Frank Johnson, D'Antoni, it seems to be their philosophy as long as Colangelo was around to look within rather than hire a Pat Riley or an established, recycled coach like a Del Harris.

IrishHand 09-30-2007 02:47 PM

The loss of Iavaroni will almost certainly hurt Phoenix's chemistry - which is a problem area anyway. "Seven Seconds or Less" (book about Phoenix a couple years ago when Amare was out with the knee injury) describes the extremely effective dynamic that D'Antoni and Iavaroni enjoyed, as well as those players that Iavaroni was specifically responsible for.

No idea how effective he'll be as a head coach...but hard to argue that he wasn't a great assistant coach who impacted his team's fortunes.

Suns window is either closing or already closed...be interesting to see how this year plays out. Their quest for fiscal responsibility has brutalized their future (loss of 1st rounders by the dozen, dumping both youth and vets). They're paper-thin and their 3 stars don't get along (though they've thus far managed to play well despite that).

NicksDad1970 09-30-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The loss of Iavaroni will almost certainly hurt Phoenix's chemistry - which is a problem area anyway. "Seven Seconds or Less" (book about Phoenix a couple years ago when Amare was out with the knee injury) describes the extremely effective dynamic that D'Antoni and Iavaroni enjoyed, as well as those players that Iavaroni was specifically responsible for.

No idea how effective he'll be as a head coach...but hard to argue that he wasn't a great assistant coach who impacted his team's fortunes.

Suns window is either closing or already closed...be interesting to see how this year plays out. Their quest for fiscal responsibility has brutalized their future (loss of 1st rounders by the dozen, dumping both youth and vets). They're paper-thin and their 3 stars don't get along (though they've thus far managed to play well despite that).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe a lot of what happens with the Suns depends on Kerr,no?

ThaSaltCracka 09-30-2007 06:09 PM

So, would I be a huge dork for buying an Oden jersey this season? They have them available everywhere here.

tdarko 09-30-2007 06:53 PM

TSC,

Depends what size.

ThaSaltCracka 09-30-2007 06:58 PM

good answer.

BobboFitos 09-30-2007 10:37 PM

Irishhand,

Some of the guys you listed (comparing miller to other SGs) are not SGs. Also, Miller is > Barbosa, Ricky Davis (lol are you serious abotu that?) and Brandon Roy. SJaxx is a nice player, Monta is a PG, and Hughes has his moments, but they also are < Miller.

So he'd start for most teams, which is good. About Conley/Gay, you're right.

Yes, I never said they werent lottery bound, byt they DO have some talnet.

Aces McGee 10-01-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from arenas blog

"Prediction Time
Oh man, everybody is jumping on this Celtics band wagon. You know what? I was going to go prediction-free for the whole year, but I guess I’m going to break that now.

Now, if anybody remembers back when I got drafted, I got a report back that the reason I dropped so far in the draft was that Jim O’Brien of the Celtics said that I was too immature and that I wasn’t ready for the NBA. What really happened was that I had an Achilles injury and I went back to L.A. to go get it healed when I was supposed to have a two-day workout in Boston with O’Brien. He didn’t like that. So word came back to me that he was trashing me and it put this knife through my chest about the Boston Celtics.

Back in the day when I would day dream I thought that if I could score 100 points against any team it would be the Boston Celtics. Now, I knew it would never happen, but if I could do one thing in the NBA it would be to score 100 against Boston. So anyway, since everybody is back on the Boston bandwagon it brought back old memories. So listen here. On November 2nd, we’re going to go into that building, we’re opening up Boston. Right now I’m telling the Boston fans: You guys are going to lose. It’s not going to be a victory for Boston. You might as well just cheer for me, because Boston isn’t winning in Boston for the season opener. I’m sorry. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Gil makes basketball in this area interesting with stuff like this, but he also makes being at games like this one that much sweeter.

-McGee

ThaSaltCracka 10-01-2007 12:41 AM

I think Gilbert is an annoying ass. The day he stops thinking like this will be the day Washington finally does something.

FlyWf 10-01-2007 12:48 AM

It's really impressive how Arenas never picked up a "choker" label for that Nick Anderson impersonation. Charisma goes a long way.

ClassicBob 10-01-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Gilbert is an annoying ass. The day he stops thinking like this will be the day Washington finally does something.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be out yo got-damn mind.

tuq 10-01-2007 01:44 AM

All,

TSC also hates Steve Nash so obv he has some challenges when it comes to judging character.

ThaSaltCracka 10-01-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be out yo got-damn mind.

[/ QUOTE ]why? He's all talk. Back it up Gilbert. Quit sounding like a little girl all the time.

"Oh they disrespected me, I'mma score 90 on them" stfu gilbert.

Ralph Wiggum 10-01-2007 12:10 PM

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6709/przv9.png
One more month...

Pudge714 10-01-2007 12:36 PM

Gilbert is awesome.
Also did anyone see LeBron on SNL he was alright. His opening monologue was good, but SNL is currently retarded since they keep focusing skits around untalented people and repeating mediocre characters.

ThaSaltCracka 10-01-2007 12:44 PM

I thought Lebron was horrid on there.

kidcolin 10-01-2007 12:52 PM

Ralph,

Decent critique. Mavs > Suns. Bulls > Cavs (in the regular season, at least, and maybe even the playoffs this year).

Pudge,

Agree on LeBron, disagree on SNL. Not that it's great, but their problem is overall talent and writing, not their use of it. The one thing they do well is use their best guys as often as possible (Poehler and Rudolph, for example). The only one that seems overused is Keenan (enter affirmative action conspiracy here). Kanye's skit was great, though. I generally think he's a bitch, but it's good to see he can make fun of himself like that.

tuq 10-01-2007 01:12 PM

I'll give Marc Stein something of a benefit of the doubt because unscientific preseason rankings are easily the hardest of the year and are to foster discussion as much as anything.

That said...Boston four spots ahead of Dallas? The Bulls at 10th? Does not compute.

tdarko 10-01-2007 01:49 PM

wtf is wrong w/ Marc Stein and my confusion has nothing to do w/ Dallas at 6. He could have put 5 West teams ahead of them and I would have just shrugged it off as preseason rankings, but 2 of the top 5 teams in the NBA aren't in the East and 3 of the 7 either. List is a joke. Ralph's is correct...at least for now.

rakes.a.beach 10-01-2007 02:26 PM

i LOLed at the "LOL at GS"

I'd say pistons will finish with a better record than celtics.

kidcolin 10-01-2007 03:32 PM

I'm having a hard time with the Pistons.

Pros: still an awesome starting 5 (even if Webber gets replaced).
Cons: Flip. Age. Maybe no Webber.

I can't decide if Maxiell's growth outweighs the decline of others due to aging (namely 'Sheed and McDyess).

I still need to think more about the east. Bulls are the top dog and I expect Boston and Washington to outperform the Cavs, but I'm not sure about the order. I'm not sure where to put the Pistons, either. I want to say Bulls > Wash > Pistons > Celtics > Cavs, but I won't stand by it just yet.

IrishHand 10-01-2007 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bulls > Pistons > Wash > Celtics > Cavs

[/ QUOTE ]

Pudge714 10-01-2007 09:09 PM

TSC,
I thought LeBron was very good for an athlete.

KidColin,
I agree irt to Kenan. I disagree about Poehler and Rudolph I don't think either of them are that funny. Poehler can't keep a straight face on weekend update, every single Maya Rudolph character is Oprah/Whitney Houston.
I think Samberg and Bill Hader are the two best talents. I agree with a general lack of writing talent think about how many mediocre skits they have reused. In that LeBron episode alone they had three sketches which were repeats and I watched maybe 6 episodes of SNL last year.

Veecee 10-01-2007 09:37 PM

LOL @ the Celtics #2 ranking.

Artdogg 10-02-2007 12:57 AM

even though kc hates the suns ill still say i think the celtics are right there at the top of the east, and i dont see the pistons getting to the finals with flip as coach

Assani Fisher 10-02-2007 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

Either participate or don't. Stop being a goddamned weirdo about all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm honestly confused here....trying to participate, but this thread seems to have lost me.

Assani Fisher 10-02-2007 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop avoiding my question. I am willing to make a bet perhaps, but please answer my question:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I trusted your sencerity, I would continue this conversation. I have no desire to talk to someone who I think is a liar though.

Green Kool Aid 10-02-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I trusted your sencerity, I would continue this conversation. I have no desire to talk to someone who I think is a liar though.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

kidcolin 10-02-2007 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even though kc hates the suns ill still say i think the celtics are right there at the top of the east, and i dont see the pistons getting to the finals with flip as coach

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the Suns. I just like picking on D'Antoni and have a realistic view of them. Let's wish the best for Amare.