Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2+2er Nike Plus running group - who's in? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295947)

DonkeyKongSr 01-16-2007 01:11 AM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

Worked my ass off over the 3-day weekend. Just got back from the gym, did nearly 21 miles in 3 days. That's not counting another 10 or so on ellipticals. Tomorrow is a much earned break to watch some Ducks hockey.

tdarko 01-16-2007 06:24 PM

Donkey (you seem to have this down)--or anyone else that can help,

I have been doing a 10 minute, 20 minute and 30 minute workout (I also sprint twice a week). Today was my 10 minute workout. My results are strange each time. I warmed up for about 3-4 minutes and then started my workout on 8.5 in the treadmill, on the treadmill it says the pace at 8.5 is 7:03. I ran at this pace for 4 minutes. Then I ran at 9.0 for 5 minutes, this pace is 6:40 and then for the last minute I moved back down to 8.5. My program stopped at the 10 minutes and I cooled off. Once again my Nike+ pace is way off, it said 10:37 per mile and that I ran .99 miles.

I know I ran more than a mile in ten minutes, I am running very well, the thing is calibrated and am wondering if maybe the sensor is messed up or maybe my gait could have to do with it--I am slightly pidgeon-toed. It is just frustrating b/c I am running 10 minutes and credited for not even a mile, I ran 30 minutes the other day and the treadmill had me at 3.65 miles yet Nike+ counted me for 2.67 miles, its as if the sensor isn't reading all my steps or something. So it is frustrating b/c I am missing some miles.

Any thoughts?

~td

DonkeyKongSr 01-16-2007 07:39 PM

Have you calibrated it on a track yet? Those are sorta like the numbers I was getting uncalibrated. Now I get between about a 2-6% variance. This is from the Nike+ website..."Our tests have shown that the median accuracy out of the box is 92%. With calibration, the median accuracy is 97%".

Oh, I think the way you wear the sensor makes some difference. I got the pouch thing and it was way off, so I ditched it and went back to velcro because I didn't feel like recalibrating. Anyway, it sits on top of my shoe, red side up, Nike swoop closest to me. That pouch seems to tell me something different about the direction, but it wasn't exactly really clear. Maybe someone else can help me on this.

I'm not sure what else it could be. If you don't get it working, search around the Nike+ forums for help.

BTW, I like the Marware band a lot. It's really comfortable. I wear it on my wrist and have easy access to the iPod. My only worries is it isn't very sweatproof. I hope it doesn't bother the iPod.

tdarko 01-17-2007 12:48 AM

DK,

I calibrated on the track, both walking and running just to make sure. I actually prefer running outside or on the track but it has been icey and 20 degrees lately.

I don't have the pouch or any attachment, I have these shoes and they have the slot on the bottom of the shoe for the sensor to lay in.

N 82 50 24 01-17-2007 03:10 AM

I got back to Atlanta a few days ago, so I've been running a bit. I've logged a .5 mile test run, 1.5, 2 and 1.5. Obviously I'm not very good at running at the moment.

Just for some background, I ran x-country for part of high school and I think I was somewhere around 6'0" 185 lbs. However, I had very little muscle on me at the time and I wasn't in great shape. After I quit x-country, I started lifting pretty seriously and got up to a healthy 205. Then I fluctuated in college between 190 and 225, although definitely on the high end towards the end of college. Since then, I've gotten into poker and become a complete lazy tard (graduated college in May 2004, so about 2.5 year period), checking in during Christmas at a bloated 245 or so. Really pathetic. I basically resolved at the PCA to be more disciplined and healthy after getting back to Atlanta. Since Thursday afternoon, I've been keeping that resolution.

The good news is that in spite of my laziness I have lifted a fair amount over the years and I'm a relatively strong (albeit still fat) 245. If I can maintain a fair amount of my muscle mass as I drop pounds, I could be a healthy 210-215. But if I want to be truly skinny considering the muscle on my frame, I'll probably need to get in the 195 range. And for all the people out there who say that a 6 foot tall and 195 pound person is automatically fat because of BMI or some other crap, that isn't true.

So I don't have ridiculously far to go from a strictly weight perspective. I expect to reach my target of 210 sometime this summer and if this thread sticks around (I expect it will because of the Nike+ challenge), I will post some before/after pics at that point.

GL to everyone else with their running goals.

DonkeyKongSr 01-17-2007 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DK,

I calibrated on the track, both walking and running just to make sure. I actually prefer running outside or on the track but it has been icey and 20 degrees lately.

I don't have the pouch or any attachment, I have these shoes and they have the slot on the bottom of the shoe for the sensor to lay in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazy. You have the shoes that are made for it and it doesn't work. That's odd. You may have to send Nike an email telling them of your troubles to see if they can help.

DonkeyKongSr 01-17-2007 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got back to Atlanta a few days ago, so I've been running a bit. I've logged a .5 mile test run, 1.5, 2 and 1.5. Obviously I'm not very good at running at the moment.

Just for some background, I ran x-country for part of high school and I think I was somewhere around 6'0" 185 lbs. However, I had very little muscle on me at the time and I wasn't in great shape. After I quit x-country, I started lifting pretty seriously and got up to a healthy 205. Then I fluctuated in college between 190 and 225, although definitely on the high end towards the end of college. Since then, I've gotten into poker and become a complete lazy tard (graduated college in May 2004, so about 2.5 year period), checking in during Christmas at a bloated 245 or so. Really pathetic. I basically resolved at the PCA to be more disciplined and healthy after getting back to Atlanta. Since Thursday afternoon, I've been keeping that resolution.

The good news is that in spite of my laziness I have lifted a fair amount over the years and I'm a relatively strong (albeit still fat) 245. If I can maintain a fair amount of my muscle mass as I drop pounds, I could be a healthy 210-215. But if I want to be truly skinny considering the muscle on my frame, I'll probably need to get in the 195 range. And for all the people out there who say that a 6 foot tall and 195 pound person is automatically fat because of BMI or some other crap, that isn't true.

So I don't have ridiculously far to go from a strictly weight perspective. I expect to reach my target of 210 sometime this summer and if this thread sticks around (I expect it will because of the Nike+ challenge), I will post some before/after pics at that point.

GL to everyone else with their running goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm slightly over 6'1". Sometime last year I hit 249. I've never been vey skinny, so I'm not really sure what that's like. Over the past 6 months I started eating healthier and working out. Especially the last 3 months or so. I'm 209 as of this morning after a December where I gained a couple pounds. My goal is 190ish, too. Then I'll work on adding muscle and be fine staying under 200 for as long as I can.

Actually, 205 and under will be fine. I can live with being a light heavyweight over a heaveyweight [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

So far I'm loving it. Feeling better and looking better. I get compliments everytime I see my friends and still have another 20 to drop, which I will do. I'm totally dedicated to it right now and this challenge only helps.

DonkeyKongSr 01-17-2007 04:41 AM

For reference, 9/26/06 ~225 lbs. (I don't have a picture of me any heavier)
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3...606sidebo0.jpg

12/30/06 ~210 lbs
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4...006sidepi2.jpg

Supersetoy 01-17-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kyleb,

where are you from? i work out at 24 in san diego.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotness, we should meet up sometime.

Er, I work out in Seattle. Entity lives here too.

And I think you need a Nano to use the NikePlus feature, but I'm not sure. Give your local store a call!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome guys. I live in Seattle too.

Unfortunately I've come upon this thread 2 weeks late. I got Nike+ shoes and the nike+ sensor for christmas also. I got the nano for christmas last year.

I love the thing (already put over 12 miles on it since the new year) but I think it's not properly calibrated (I was running up hill while calibrating and haven't got the chance to calibrate on a track)

Maybe we should all run the burke-gilman once a month or something? I also run a few 5Ks (about 6/year) and there's one coming up at greenlake on Valentine's day.

I apologize if this stuff has already been mentioned...I haven't read through the whole thread yet...

tdarko 01-17-2007 02:57 PM

DK,

Nice work. Keep it up.

1C5 01-17-2007 03:25 PM

Got my Nike + in the mail ,just waiting for my pouch now!!

Supersetoy 01-17-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DonkeyKongSr,

I used it for the first time today w/o calibrating and am wondering if this is why my results were very puzzling. I am in pretty good shape though right now I have been lifting weights more than running. Even still every year when I start running I can run 7-7:30 minute miles my first time out and bring my times down to 6 minute miles. I ran for 20 minutes today on the treadmill at a pace that seemed pretty fast (8.0 for most of the run and 9.0 for about 3 minutes) and it said my pace was 10:22 per mile, wtf? I can walk that and I was running pretty well. Is it b/c I didn't calibrate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been having some issues with the recording too.

But I did calibrate while running up a hill. I ran a 5K in October and was recorded running a 8:38 average mile. This 5K also included a lot of hills.

But now with my nike+ it's got me running a 12:42 average mile (again also with hills). WTF? Messed.

BrooklynMark 01-17-2007 05:02 PM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus running group - who\'s in?

I'm about two weeks out from getting my Nike+, but I would love to join the challenge. My Nike screen name is BrooklynMark, email is jnk.hed @ gmail.com.

-BrooklynMark

Nomar 01-18-2007 09:18 PM

after a ski weekend filled with 9000 beers and football I felt like crap when I got back in town, but managed a couple short runs this week...including a personal best 6.51 mile, it was part of the 5k run offered on the nike+

this was the first time I used anything other than "basic" and I liked the updates on my distance during the run.

maybe a longer run tomorrow weather permitting ...

nolanfan34 01-20-2007 05:21 PM

Whoo hoo, I'm finally on the board!

Bought some new shoes today (Super Jock 'n Jill FTW), and the snow has finally melted around here, so I had my initial run with the Nike+. I'm not convinced it calibrated correctly, so I'm going to try that again at a better track than the one I used today.

But, went out for a short jog after that, and my first 1.65 miles are up on the site. WOOT!

1C5 01-20-2007 05:55 PM

just got my pouch in the mail today so tomorrow I am going to go to a track and calibrate it.

Also have to make a playlist I guess.

Str8Fish 01-21-2007 01:21 AM

man I am uber excited about this... I just need 800 more FPP's at PS to get my nano... then I'll get the sensor... and then I'll be joinin you guys!!

1C5 01-21-2007 01:29 AM

How do I get added to the 2+2 group?

Entity 01-21-2007 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I get added to the 2+2 group?

[/ QUOTE ]

An invite has been sent.

Rogue5 01-21-2007 08:29 PM

just got my nano today, and I'll get the sensor pouch asap.
can I get an invite shipped over?

sn is Rogue5
email is johnson.joshuaATgmail.com

Thanks!

Entity 01-21-2007 10:36 PM

Just had a really horrible week. The whole online poker mess has screwed with my head quite a bit but after a week of catching up on news, drinking, sulking, whatever else, I'm hopefully back to normal.

Time to step it back up. Can't keep up with you 5+mi/dayers, but I definitely need to work on my overall fitness profile.

Rob

1C5 01-21-2007 10:43 PM

Hope no one thinks I am cheating, I will be adding my walks with my dog as I like knowing how far I went. It is like a speed walk, we go pretty fast.

I walk ~3 miles a day with him and will run on top of that.

He is very healthy and reminds me to keep well hydrated. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1766/mav05zf.jpg

tdarko 01-22-2007 01:11 AM

Entity,

Its ok bud, my sensor is about 1.2 miles off on two mile runs and even worse on three mile runs. I ran for 20 minutes and logged a whopping 1.6 miles while the treadmill had me at 2.8. I have been planning on getting the pouch or whatever to see if that helps but have been lazy.

Rogue5 01-22-2007 09:46 PM

holy damn I need to calibrate and/or get a real sensor pouch (my current "pouch" does make use of duct tape...)

running about 2.75 miles showed up as 1.53, and it stuck me at .97 for almost half a mile. I am pretty stoked about the system though, I can't wait to get it working properly.

Entity 01-23-2007 04:33 PM

Bump. New shoes = need for new calibration, I guess. Ran for a while today and I think it reported me running further than I did (reported 3.6mi vs 3.3mi run).

Running with this group really makes me with I were a better runner. I'll get there someday. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob

Entity 01-23-2007 04:35 PM

Also, bump:

Best Power Songs so Far:

Outkast - Bombs over Baghdad (great for interval sprints)
Eminem - Lose Yourself
The Who - Baba O'riley
Eminem - Till I Collapse

N 82 50 24 01-23-2007 04:39 PM

I guess I'm the only one without any problems.

I even got new shoes a week or two ago and it's still dead-on accurate.

Also, I'm only 12 miles in, but I already feel huge improvements in my ability. I have a long way to go, but my pace has gone from 5.0 mph (pathetic) in my first real run to 6.7 mph in my last run. I expect to top out around 7.5 mph for my multi-mile runs, but I'd like to shoot for at least one 8 mph or 8.5 mph single-mile run in the next few months. I like getting that Lance Armstrong message at the end of my workouts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

skunkworks 01-23-2007 04:42 PM

Last run I went for 5+ miles and I started having a problem with my shoes. I got small blisters on the arches of both feet. I'm kind of nervous to see if that was just a one-time occurrence. I'm running in Saucony Trumph 4s.

Just to encourage others to drink the Kool Aid, the Nike+ system is really accurate for me, usually within plus/minus 5%.

N 82 50 24 01-23-2007 04:50 PM

I'm running in these Nike Air Max 180+s and they've been great so far. I had some shin splint issues with my previous shoes and these things cleared those problems up immediately.

http://www.thepokerdb.com/nat/180.jpg

Entity 01-23-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm the only one without any problems.

I even got new shoes a week or two ago and it's still dead-on accurate.

Also, I'm only 12 miles in, but I already feel huge improvements in my ability. I have a long way to go, but my pace has gone from 5.0 mph (pathetic) in my first real run to 6.7 mph in my last run. I expect to top out around 7.5 mph for my multi-mile runs, but I'd like to shoot for at least one 8 mph or 8.5 mph single-mile run in the next few months. I like getting that Lance Armstrong message at the end of my workouts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a big part of it (maybe the biggest part of it) is that my terrrain is pretty varied. I live in Seattle, so it's basically impossible to run without encountering hills. Since I run a different route most days (I cycle between 3 or 4 favorites), it's hard for me to get it calibrated super accurately -- I'm just aiming for a good middle ground right now, I guess.

I'll probably take my bike out for a ~1mi spin sometime very soon and get a super accurate measurement, then go by that. Either that or drive (again) to one of the nearby tracks and rather than run 400m to calibrate, run something like 800m or 1600m. That may get a better calibration since it'll take into consideration how my stride changes as I run past the 1/4mi mark into further distances. Dunno.

Rob

1C5 01-23-2007 04:54 PM

Nice shoes, how much did they cost? I saw them in a local store and tried them on but didn't get them. They were $130 or some crap.

N 82 50 24 01-23-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice shoes, how much did they cost? I saw them in a local store and tried them on but didn't get them. They were $130 or some crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't remember, lol. Poker has completely skewed my view of money and I just don't care about everyday purchases anymore. I'm trying to change that though.

nolanfan34 01-23-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, bump:

Best Power Songs so Far:

Outkast - Bombs over Baghdad (great for interval sprints)
Eminem - Lose Yourself
The Who - Baba O'riley
Eminem - Till I Collapse

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a Bloc Party song on there right now, can't remember the name.

I'll probably download the Rocky theme just for this.

theghost 01-23-2007 06:14 PM

Got my 1st run logged yesterday so I'm on the board.

Haven't calibrated yet but ran on a track for part of my course; 2 laps came in at .5 miles so I guess it's working pretty well out of the box for me. (no special shoes, but I do use the marware pouch)

I've only run once or twice since Halloween (when I started my slide back into sloth), and am mildly trashed today from the run. Planning to do some more damage Thursday so get crackin! I'm coming for ya!

DonkeyKongSr 01-23-2007 06:50 PM

Nice, we are really starting to get a good group going. 12 with runs, another 3 registered.

I've been sick the past week and haven't run since the 17th. I should get out tonight just in time to keep Noamr/Smaz776 from taking the lead.

Oh yeah, thanks for the shoutout on the site Skunkworks. Even with my week off, I should blow away my 50 mile goal for the month. I think I'll shoot for 75 next month.

Alobar 01-23-2007 08:04 PM

*bump*

ok, I finally got everything set up and faked a .04 mile run so I could upload and accept the challenge.

going on first run now!

Nomar 01-23-2007 10:17 PM

I use asics sneakers with replacement arch supports in them, I just put the sensor under the sole. Its been very accurate, I use this page to check the distance on my runs when Im finished.

Going skiing this weekend for 4 days...heres your chance to pass me entity.

tdarko 01-23-2007 10:19 PM

Nomar,

How do you put the sensor under the sole of Asics? Did you cut a hole in the bottom of the shoe or something, otherwise this would seem to be incredibly uncomfortable?

Nomar 01-23-2007 10:23 PM

I take out the asics insole liner and put in a thicker arch support liner. I tried the sensor just under the center and its barely noticable at all.

Entity 01-24-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use asics sneakers with replacement arch supports in them, I just put the sensor under the sole. Its been very accurate, I use this page to check the distance on my runs when Im finished.

Going skiing this weekend for 4 days...heres your chance to pass me entity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use mapmyrun (mapmyrun.com) for mapping to check things out, I'm sure they're pretty close since most of them just base the distances off of Google's Pedometer.

Will try to hit a few miles today but I'm definitely feeling tired. Need to find some more good music to download.

Recommendations?