Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread**** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=366371)

Lori 04-18-2007 09:16 PM

Re: ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread****

[ QUOTE ]
Ah you beat me to the edit, "please go away" sounded too mean and not ethnically insulting enough [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no arguments with either version after what just occured.

BobOjedaFan 04-18-2007 09:33 PM

lol jinxaments

kbfc 04-18-2007 09:34 PM

Someone increase the "Reyes is the most exciting player in baseball" counter.

Needle77 04-19-2007 05:38 PM

I'm not worried for tonight's game that the Mets shelled the vet and now get the unproven player. Like someone mentioned earlier, this is the game the Mets were more likely to lose. Hopefully El Duque can recover after being thrown out of the game in his last outing. I doubt it should effect him, but I guess it could.

VarlosZ 04-19-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this table can be seen without a subscrition, but Jose Reyes is currently third in the majors in VORP, with 11.0. (A-Rod is first with 15.5). He's done a great job of improving his walk rate and becoming a legitimate lead-off hitter; really proved me wrong.

kbfc 04-19-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this table can be seen without a subscrition, but Jose Reyes is currently third in the majors in VORP, with 11.0. (A-Rod is first with 15.5). He's done a great job of improving his walk rate and becoming a legitimate lead-off hitter; really proved me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget his defense this year, which has been consistently spectacular. I almost never watch the Astros, so I don't really have much other than numbers (and respect of people whose opinions I trust) to judge Adam Everett by, but really, how is it possible to play SS any better than Reyes has so far this year?

Needle77 04-19-2007 08:15 PM

Eh, Beltran in the two hole seems to be working I guess. Lol.

DesertCat 04-20-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget his defense this year, which has been consistently spectacular. I almost never watch the Astros, so I don't really have much other than numbers (and respect of people whose opinions I trust) to judge Adam Everett by, but really, how is it possible to play SS any better than Reyes has so far this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam Everett has played short better than anyone in (recent) recorded history. Even as well as Reyes is playing defense this year it seems a long shot that he's as good as Everett. But given Reyes offense, does it matter? What next, you want him to cure cancer as well? Be satisfied with Mr. Most Exciting as valuable as he is and hope he never gets hurt...

wh1t3bread 04-20-2007 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, Beltran in the two hole seems to be working I guess. Lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point I think Willie could reverse the order and the Mets will still score 8 runs. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

wh1t3bread 04-20-2007 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam Everett has played short better than anyone in (recent) recorded history. Even as well as Reyes is playing defense this year it seems a long shot that he's as good as Everett. But given Reyes offense, does it matter? What next, you want him to cure cancer as well? Be satisfied with Mr. Most Exciting as valuable as he is and hope he never gets hurt...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was saying Reyes is better defensively than Everett. In fact he gave Everett his kudos for his glove work in his post. He was just saying that Reyes has been great defensively so far this year and when you add that in to his offensive production there might not be another shortstop in the majors you would rather have.

He was thinking total package...at least that's how I read it.

TruFloridaGator 04-20-2007 11:58 AM

I hate saying this is a big series so early in the season, but yea, it's big. Go Braves! Hudson has been dominant, but he struggles vs good bats.

wh1t3bread 04-20-2007 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate saying this is a big series so early in the season, but yea, it's big. Go Braves! Hudson has been dominant, but he struggles vs good bats.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think it's that big? Maybe from a Braves perspective. This series should just be business as usual (and by usual I mean the last year + 3 weeks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) for the Mets as it's only April.

I'm really excited to see Smoltz/Glavine II.

Wynton 04-20-2007 01:03 PM

The way that the rotations have worked out - with the Mets throwing their 4th and 5th guys against the Braves' top guys - I think that it would be telling if the Mets manage to win the series.

samjjones 04-20-2007 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way that the rotations have worked out - with the Mets throwing their 4th and 5th guys against the Braves' top guys - I think that it would be telling if the Mets manage to win the series.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way Pelfrey/Perez have pitched as late, this could very, VERY easily be a Braves sweep.

I'd be very pleased with 2 out of 3 here.

TruFloridaGator 04-20-2007 01:40 PM

I think you guys are overestimating the Braves' bats. SO hit or miss. I don't think anyone is getting swept.

TruFloridaGator 04-20-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think it's that big? Maybe from a Braves perspective. This series should just be business as usual (and by usual I mean the last year + 3 weeks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) for the Mets as it's only April.

I'm really excited to see Smoltz/Glavine II.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not big in that way, but any time the division/rivals matchup especially in NY it's big, IMHO.

BobOjedaFan 04-20-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way Pelfrey/Perez have pitched as late, this could very, VERY easily be a Braves sweep.

I'd be very pleased with 2 out of 3 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds of the Braves sweeping the Mets at Shea are not good, idc what the pitching matchup is. The Mets lineup is so much superior. The way rotations played out makes this series tough but the Mets are still going to be the favorite in all 3 games.

samjjones 04-20-2007 02:47 PM

It may be tough if LoDuca is hurt and Beltran/Delgado revert to their usual Shea performance.

JordanIB 04-20-2007 02:54 PM

I think both these teams will be there in October, so to me, these April series' are kinda meaningless.

BobOjedaFan 04-20-2007 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both these teams will be there in October, so to me, these April series' are kinda meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible given the fact that both of these teams get 19 against the Phillies, lol.

JordanIB 04-20-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible given the fact that both of these teams get 19 against the Phillies, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and Marlins and Nats.

TruFloridaGator 04-20-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meaningless? Please, getting swept is huge in terms of momentum, tiebreakers, and division leads down the road. Losing 2 of 3 is pretty meaningless though.

Needle77 04-20-2007 10:08 PM

Did the Braves really walk Wright in his last at-bat? That's just dirty.

BobOjedaFan 04-20-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Soriano was simply not pitching well but nonetheless it irritated me. I was hoping 7 straight batters could reach to get back around to him and oh yeah, we would win the game but oh well. I still think the Mets are gonna win the East by 10 so I'm not too worried.

TruFloridaGator 04-20-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Soriano was simply not pitching well but nonetheless it irritated me. I was hoping 7 straight batters could reach to get back around to him and oh yeah, we would win the game but oh well. I still think the Mets are gonna win the East by 10 so I'm not too worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

10? How much?

BobOjedaFan 04-20-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10? How much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think the Mets are head and shoulders better than the Braves, the fact that both teams didn't change too much leads me to that conclusion. (Mets had a losing record when Pedro pitched last yr, bullpen replacements have been adequate) People like to whack off to the 1st 2 weeks in baseball every yr. Did you see them on TBS show the Mets stats compared to the Braves stats. The Braves are way lucky to be 11-5. I said 10 to provoke everyone, but I guess I'm willing to bet 7 or so.

capone0 04-20-2007 11:03 PM

Braves blew like 30 saves last year and they fixed their bullpen. I'm pretty sure they are much better this year.

TruFloridaGator 04-20-2007 11:03 PM

The Mets should be head & shoulders better when you can outspend so much more than the Braves but they aren't. The Braves pen, staff, and coaching is much better than the Mets but the Mets are way better hitting wise. The Braves are not lucky to be 11-5, come on.
Notice my prediction in the Braves thread, though. I predicted we win the wild card behind the Mets, I'm really liking that prediction now so 7 isn't out of the question. If 9 is a good number, then I'll take the under, but I think 4-6 is realistic.
Also, though, that's why I emphasized the importance of a series like this. I know it's just the first 2 weeks but for a young team, getting off to a good start is very important.

mmbt0ne 04-21-2007 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think the Mets are head and shoulders better than the Braves, the fact that both teams didn't change too much leads me to that conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying the Braves are better than the Mets, but wow.

Needle77 04-21-2007 01:50 PM

So, how to say without jinxing, Ollie Perez is fun to watch today?

JordanIB 04-21-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, how to say without jinxing, Ollie Perez is fun to watch today?

[/ QUOTE ]

43 pitches through 4 innings. 8 balls, 35 strikes.

I love Ollie's consistency [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Needle77 04-21-2007 02:18 PM

Wright just doesn't look good at the plate. All three of his at bats have just been tough to watch.

First bit of trouble here for Perez, giving up a lead off double.

Needle77 04-21-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

kbfc 04-21-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So both Reyes and Beltran will get 1 more AB to get the cycle. Which is more likely? Reyes hitting a triple or Beltran hitting a HR? How silly is it that this is a serious question?

TruFloridaGator 04-22-2007 02:29 PM

holy [censored], what a play by Smoltz

TruFloridaGator 04-22-2007 03:02 PM

Wow, I thought we were going to win this game, Mets go off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BobOjedaFan 04-22-2007 03:33 PM

I just found out the Mets and Braves were/are actually doing a Yankees/Red Sox impression tonight. The fans however are doing a bad job by not vicously booing David Wright.

TruFloridaGator 04-22-2007 03:36 PM

Guess I shouldn't of given up so soon. Quite a game.

BobOjedaFan 04-22-2007 03:48 PM

Release Heilman, I am sick and tired of this [censored]. He is the Benitez of middle relief. Once I saw him come in to a tie game i shoulda just turned it off. I'm sure if it was 4-0 Mets he'd have gotten them 1-2-3 after the error. This is unreal. Outscoring our opponents 3728193-3 were 2-4 against the Braves, such nonsense.

BobOjedaFan 04-22-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess I shouldn't of given up so soon. Quite a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mets have the best bullpen in baseball when its 7-0.