Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   I Met a Backwards Man (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547055)

kurto 11-26-2007 03:57 PM

Re: I Met a Backwards Man

I don't see an illusion. What am I missing? There's a woman spinning in circles (clockwise) while her foot elevates up and down.

Should I be seeing something else in it as well?

vhawk01 11-26-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see an illusion. What am I missing? There's a woman spinning in circles (clockwise) while her foot elevates up and down.

[/ QUOTE ]

She turns counterclockwise dummy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CORed 11-27-2007 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see her spinning in either direction, but my brain seems to favor counterclockwise.

vhawk01 11-27-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see her spinning in either direction, but my brain seems to favor counterclockwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too and me too.

Nulle 11-27-2007 01:47 AM

bah, I only see counterclockwise.

ALawPoker 11-27-2007 02:14 AM

I [censored] hate that dancer thing, and can't believe I stumbled across it in another thread. If you keep looking long enough you'll eventually see it, but you won't feel like a better person for it. You'll just compulsively look again 3 minutes later to make sure you can still see it. Then again, and again.

Just let it go. Make no emotional investment. [censored] that thing.

elitegimp 11-27-2007 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you use clockwise / counter-clockwise to describe her motion? To me that would imply that she was doing cartwheels... instead she's just spinning (to her right)

ALawPoker 11-27-2007 03:38 AM

Fortunately, there's a 3rd dimension available. Try pretending your clock is on the floor.

elitegimp 11-27-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fortunately, there's a 3rd dimension available. Try pretending your clock is on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the "clockwise vs counterclockwise" just a debate about whether to put the clock on the floor or on the ceiling?

edit: And why are we "fortunate" to have the third dimension? Isn't the basic problem that clockwise / counterclockwise is used to describe 2D rotation?

vhawk01 11-27-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the "clockwise vs counterclockwise" just a debate about whether to put the clock on the floor or on the ceiling?

edit: And why are we "fortunate" to have the third dimension? Isn't the basic problem that clockwise / counterclockwise is used to describe 2D rotation?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Put the clock on the floor and she still turns EITHER way.

And the reason I am using clockwise and counterclockwise is just because its easier than "her right? Your right? My right?" Saying she is going to her right is fine though, but its no surprise that everyone else in this thread, without prompting, talked about her spinning in clock terms.