Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Kiva.org - Xmas gift suggestion for ballas (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544453)

Eric Draven 11-25-2007 02:32 PM

Re: Kiva.org - Xmas gift suggestion for ballas

I had forgotten to post in this thread.

Nice find, I think this is what I'm going to get 99% of the people I know for Christmas, and I'll put a few hundred in when I get the money in PayPal.

Cry Me A River 11-25-2007 06:58 PM

You can deposit directly from credit card, you don't need a Paypal balance at all. You can either transfer fund from a Paypal account, or Paypal just acts like a normal credit card processor.

wdcbooks 11-25-2007 08:27 PM

Thank you for this. Over the past few weeks I have most of my family making loans. I could see using this is an alternative to some of my savings.

XXXNoahXXX 11-25-2007 08:28 PM

All-

Is it still a fun gift idea if I only give $25? Does it take away that they are then only making like 2% of the loan?

Claunchy 11-25-2007 08:37 PM

I was just gonna do $25 each fwiw (plus some other non-charity gift).

Eric Draven 11-25-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can deposit directly from credit card, you don't need a Paypal balance at all. You can either transfer fund from a Paypal account, or Paypal just acts like a normal credit card processor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I'll get on it tonight or tomorrow morning.

[ QUOTE ]
All-

Is it still a fun gift idea if I only give $25? Does it take away that they are then only making like 2% of the loan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that too, but I think I'm still going to go with the $25 anyways.

Cry Me A River 11-25-2007 11:28 PM

There's plenty of people on the site looking for loans in the $500 ballpark, so $25 is still significant. Or yours could be the $25 that puts them at their goal and releases the loan. I think just feeling invested in the blog updates and such is much more significant than the buy-in level.

And I could totally see this becoming a bit of a ritual among friends and family. $25 may not be huge, but $25 to/from multiple people over multiple occasions adds up!

I'm giving my wife a $200 gift cert as her "big" Xmas gift but assuming it goes over as well as I expect I'll be giving her them in the $25-$50 range for birthday's, Xmas, etc in future. We're having Xmas with the in-laws this year and I can totally see her siblings wanting in. So they might be getting $25 gift certificates next time.

traz 11-29-2007 02:24 PM

couple quick questions...

If I give a $50 gift certificate, do all their loans have to be $50, or can they split it up in their account and loan $25 to one company and $25 to another?

Or would I have to give two $25 gift certificates to achieve that?

Conversely, if I give two $25 gift certificates, can they use $50 to give to the same company (or give 2 loans of $25?)

I'm a little hazy on the details, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

El Diablo 11-29-2007 04:10 PM

traz,

They can definitely split up the $50. I've given a few people $50 certs and they've loved it.