Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ultimate Frisbee (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485834)

blackize 08-25-2007 03:02 PM

Re: Ultimate Frisbee

[ QUOTE ]

once you get a game with a bunch of skilled players, the throws won't be just floating around really high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. I have a few friends on college ultimate teams and whatnot. I'm just saying that the floater to the guy with 6 inches on everyone is unstoppable.

citanul 08-25-2007 03:08 PM

i'll probably add more to this later, but i wanted to say that i'm pretty sure the reason it's called "ultimate" instead of "ultimate frisbee" is because whamo owns the name "frisbee" and sued someone like the ultimate player's assn or whatever for using their name. i'm also 90% sure that since then, it has been against the rles to use "true" frisbees in ultimate, which is OK, since discraft disks are so much better.

7ontheline 08-25-2007 03:16 PM

Blackize, most of your generalizations don't really apply to the better games. Of course height and leaping ability help a lot, but there are very few players who are so physically dominant that their defender has no chance against them.

Jay Riall 08-25-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Frisbee is a sprt for people that are crap at sport. Several people form my school now play for England. I've never seen them play it, but I was in gym class with them and they were the most uncoordinated bunch of monkeys in there. If those guys can be on the national side of a country like England, well, its not going to be a sport I have any respect for in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm retracting this. Just did a bit of googling and found out they do freestyle frisbee. LOL.

PocketZeros 08-25-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Frisbee is a sprt for people that are crap at sport. Several people form my school now play for England. I've never seen them play it, but I was in gym class with them and they were the most uncoordinated bunch of monkeys in there. If those guys can be on the national side of a country like England, well, its not going to be a sport I have any respect for in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people like you was the reason Ultimate was invented.

PocketZeros 08-25-2007 03:32 PM

Blackize,
As skill level increases, height advantage decreases. What really matters is athletic ability. Good athletes can outjump people 4-6 inches taller than them due to hops and timing. They also run faster and read better. There used to be a guy on my team who was 5'5" or 5'6" and beat 6'2" deep consistantly. Also, over the last 4 years, Stanford has had one of the shortest teams in the country (among the elite teams that I know about at least) and have made it to the semifinals of nationals all 4 years. Believe me, if anyone has doubts about Ultimate being as competitive as any other sport at the club level, just go watch a high caliber game.

PocketZeros 08-25-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'll probably add more to this later, but i wanted to say that i'm pretty sure the reason it's called "ultimate" instead of "ultimate frisbee" is because whamo owns the name "frisbee" and sued someone like the ultimate player's assn or whatever for using their name. i'm also 90% sure that since then, it has been against the rles to use "true" frisbees in ultimate, which is OK, since discraft disks are so much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't actually heard about the suet, but discraft >>>> wham-o

Jay Riall 08-25-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people like you was the reason Ultimate was invented.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, so people who are [censored] at sport can feel better about themselves?

g-bebe 08-25-2007 04:38 PM

I love throwing a frisbee around recreationally, which I think I'm pretty good at, but of my experiences playing ultimate it hasn't been that great. probably because i might not have played it entirely properly and it was quite disorganized

sethypooh21 08-25-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Whamo frisbee's do in fact suck (bascially the rim is a little longer and much squarer, making forehands much more difficult to throw.