Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Special Sklansky Question: Arenas vs Duke (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=315421)

Spellmen 01-26-2007 07:14 PM

Re: Special Sklansky Question: Arenas vs Duke

I believe he could as well, IF the other team was trying to win. If he was just out to score 85 though, Duke could easily slow the game to a ridiculous pace and he wouldn't score near that many points, but he would still slaughter them

MoreWineII 01-26-2007 07:18 PM

Man, Arenas is obsessed. I'm going to say he scores 5 points on 2 of 23 shooting (he got to the line only once, and missed one of them) because he's starting to piss me off. Blazers are going to clobber his face on Feb 11th.

Pudge714 01-26-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good argument. Very cunning. You rock at the internet. My favorite thing is how you're so upbeat, even though people are clearly not as smart as you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good argument. When you say something indefensibly stupid you then decide to make irrelevant assumptions about my personality.

MyTurn2Raise 01-26-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MT2R, you are the biggest NCAA bball homer ever. I don't care if it takes more time to run a play, or if everyone has to play D together. The players are much worse overall and that is why they take so long to score and they have to play D together.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the players are much worse, but that isn't why they take so long to score or have to play D together.
It's the rules and the way they are enforced.

MyTurn2Raise 01-26-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke sucks, he would score at will.

This would be interesting against a good college basketball tema.

[/ QUOTE ]

who's better? Duke or the Puerto Rican international competition team?

I say Duke with no doubt.

Add-in the longer shotclock and my estimate of 100-50 seems favorable to the Suns.

kidcolin 01-26-2007 07:30 PM

based on what?

And if you think for a longer shot clock has nothing to do with skill levels, you're mistaken. Personally, I think 35 is a bit much even for their talent. They eventually realized that was the case for the 45 second shot clock.. that was ridiculous.

MyTurn2Raise 01-26-2007 07:32 PM

For prespective, the most dominating offensive player I can remember in modern college basketball was Glenn Robinson for Purdue in the early/mid 90s. Purdue's second best option was Cuonzo Martin. The team's offense revolved around Robinson every possession and he was the most efficient offensive player I can remember. He scored at-will at the major college level when everyone knew the ball was going his way. He was 6'7" and could bury the college 3-point shot.

He averaged 30.3 and 31.8 ppg in his two seasons respectively.

Put Arenas on a college team and let them play the season to try and win. 75 against Duke is laughable.

kidcolin 01-26-2007 07:35 PM

I think 75 is stretching it, too, but if Duke plays to win (i.e., not triple teaming Arenas giving other guys lay-ups), I think 50 is pretty attainable for him.

Arenas now >>>>> Big Dog Robinson in college.

MyTurn2Raise 01-26-2007 08:01 PM

agreed....I'm thinking 40 to 50

Taraz 01-26-2007 08:11 PM

I don't think scoring 70 is out of the question if all he wanted to do is score. He'd definitely get at least 50.

Are you guys forgetting that Maravich averaged 45 points in college? All he was trying to do was score. Now imagine how much he would average if he went back to college after a couple years in the NBA.

I'm not saying Arenas = Maravich, but saying that he couldn't even score 50 is laughable.