Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   To Catch a Predator: Creating Crime (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=273182)

Poofler 12-03-2006 06:42 PM

Re: To Catch a Predator: Creating Crime

That's my general thinking here also. I think many are being arrested because they are willing to have sex with a minor, and I'm not sure how likely it is that they would actually have sex with a minor. Maybe some go to the house and figure they'll make their mind up there. Others are probably genuine predators that made up their mind a long time ago. You also don't know that the fake minor actually would have sex with them either. Hanging out with a kid isn't illegal. It's definitely got more grey area than your typical undercover arrest, which are for 'false' crimes that have basically been completed (accepting fake heroin for money). I think I wish PJ would actually take it further than house entry. Like, the guys who actually stripped naked in the house, I'm more comfortable arresting him.

Poofler 12-03-2006 06:46 PM

We know how the courts have come down on this, Copernicus. It's more a discussion of if we agree with the interpretation and existing law.

Copernicus 12-03-2006 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We know how the courts have come down on this, Copernicus. It's more a discussion of if we agree with the interpretation and existing law.

[/ QUOTE ]

that isnt obvious from some of the responses here, especially when it isnt acknowledged that this kind of sting happens for all types of crimes.

pvn 12-03-2006 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Muggings...decoys are often used in high crime areas to capture muggings.

No victim, talking to an adult is ok, etc:

In many undercover situations there is no possibility of actually committing the crime. A decoy prostitute wont really give you sex,

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the "crime" the johns are charged with is invariably *solicitation*, which is an action that is actually comitted (though there is no victim, and hence, no crime).

I thought you were saying these were "real" crimes, now you're saying there's "no possibility" of the crime being committed. Which is it?

[ QUOTE ]
a briefcase full of drugs may actually contain lactose, a crate full of guns may contain toys,

[/ QUOTE ]

But these aren't crimes *anyway* since again, there's no victim.

[ QUOTE ]
a briefcase full of bribe money may contain newspapers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's the victim here? (hint: this is a trick question!)

Copernicus 12-03-2006 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In many undercover situations there is no possibility of actually committing the crime. A decoy prostitute wont really give you sex,

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the "crime" the johns are charged with is invariably *solicitation*, which is an action that is actually comitted (though there is no victim, and hence, no crime).

I thought you were saying these were "real" crimes, now you're saying there's "no possibility" of the crime being committed. Which is it?

[ QUOTE ]
a briefcase full of drugs may actually contain lactose, a crate full of guns may contain toys,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is they are all prosecuted for crimes based on intent, even though the actual crime could never have been carried to fruition.

pvn 12-04-2006 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is they are all prosecuted for crimes based on intent, even though the actual crime could never have been carried to fruition.

[/ QUOTE ]

So they are *not* "real crimes," just thoughtcrimes. Agree or disagree?

krazyace5 12-05-2006 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, over several shows I noticed that they have now added an underage girl in the house who very briefly greets the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a decoy of legal age.

My question is how can they legally show the alleged perpetrators face and name on tv?

Copernicus 12-05-2006 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, over several shows I noticed that they have now added an underage girl in the house who very briefly greets the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is how can they legally show the alleged perpetrators face and name on tv?

[/ QUOTE ]

signed releases, lol

Skidoo 12-05-2006 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's critical. The burden is on the prosecution to prove the defendant believed anything different.

Poofler 12-05-2006 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's critical. The burden is on the prosecution to prove the defendant believed anything different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a hard one to make. The decoy states their age. The perp keeps talking to them: asks about parents whereabouts, acknowledges they could get in trouble if they got together, etc.