Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Why do I suck at online Hold Em? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=256158)

keith123 11-15-2006 10:54 AM

Re: Why do I suck at online Hold Em?

lol. ok. this thread makes it very clear that site is for online players only.

how many hours have any of you logged at 1/2 NL live tables? if your answer is less than 1428 hrs (@ 35 hands/hr), then i guess you just haven't played enough to know how much money can be made.

(anyone who has played even 100 hours is laughing on the floor right now)

8BB/100 Hands is nothing for live poker. These guys are on a mission to donk away their money.

keith123 11-15-2006 11:07 AM

to answer the original question, the reason you suck at online poker is because the online game is a stripped down version of poker. the most important qualities to be a good live action player are almost completely useless in the online game.

Central Limit 11-15-2006 03:39 PM

Well, if there were more cheating and collusion on-line, that would explain the data.

[ QUOTE ]
At first I questioned whether or not this was just coincidence. However, my results playing live games vs playing online is like night and day. I'm thinking maybe I just can't read people as well online as I an in person. I dunno, its wierd. I'm considering never playing online again. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

HollywoodDB 11-15-2006 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think online is looser - I think it is tighter actually but it depends on the limits and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think online is MUCH tighter. The smaller stakes anyways. Live 2/4 - 6/12 are the games you read about in SSH. I don't think this is true online.

larsjones 11-16-2006 03:30 PM

I have several thoughts on this:

First, whoever was the original poster.....do NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get discouraged.

I just about quit this game shortly after I started reading(and rarely posting) on this site.

The guys and girls here play a different brand of poker than you or I play. They calculate things like M, hand ranges and things like that in seconds during their play.

Clearly you, and admittedly I, do not. I still contend that all of that is not necessarily needed.

My advice to you is this....start using poker logic. I use it all the time.

First of all, if you're new, play tight. Put less of your money into pots where you aren't quite sure you've got the best of it. I kid you not, but my first poker game ever, I was so unsure when I got raised that I folded pocket kings twice to avoid losing money. I now have a little bit of experience and am able to avoid this atrcious play, when it's not called for.

Think about the hand in terms of what your actions mean to opponents and conversely, what they mean to you.

If you raise preflop, playing tightly, MOST opponents will give you credit for a bigger hand(or at least 2 big cards), right?

Assume you hold AK, and your flop comes K42 rainbow. You bet out. Any callers are doing one of several things...... either they hold a king themselves......they're drawing to something, or they're idiots. Generally speaking, getting raised means they've got your pair kings beat.....FOLD. They're TELLING you, "I've got you beat, please save your money".

It sounds to me like you're overwhelmed. Just slow down.

As far as B&M play being all luck....that's just laughable. You go and tell that to Doyle Brunson.

Barfunkel 11-16-2006 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can make a living playinng 15/30 live and lower. Even with a high rake. I don't know what kind of living you guys are used to but a 15/30 pro. can make more than in most mid. level jobs. Is 60K/yr. not good anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the average wage in the USA about 30k$ a year? And there's millions of people who live with half of that. You CAN actually live a good life without owning sports cars and a big house...