Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Does poker consume your life? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=255198)

PHiLLeDINGUE 11-08-2006 02:30 PM

Re: Does poker consume your life?

yep at 19 years old, go find some girls ... they are all attrack by $$$ any way !! suck it

Also, most of the HS players have investements and futurs plan to retire(or close to it) before 30 year old... so if that's playing all your life ...

trplthrt 11-08-2006 02:52 PM

Answer is easy.. look at the chart. Tell self to end session after 2hrs. The rest is where you are wasting your life away.

Tien 11-08-2006 03:39 PM

To OP.

This comes from a Mid stakes player who just recently walked away from the game.

Playing this game professionally is not something all the winning players can do. Some can balance their lives well with poker while others are consumed by it.

You must have described my experience line by line except for the $$ figures. However I still made about 75$ an hour for hundreds of hours which isn't so bad for a 20 year old.

I no longer enjoyed the game. The money I won really made no difference to me whatsoever. Whether I made 10K, 50K, 100K, 500K. I knew the monetary numbers would not make me any happier. Whether I kept poker fulltime or "part time" I knew poker would continue to consume my life.

So I thought very long and hard and decided to quit the game and pursue other ambitions.

There are many many other things out there in life you could be doing that will make you happy. You just have to find it.

Sure the money is nice to have, but if you are truely not enjoying playing poker, it is time to do something else or play a lot less. Daniel Negreanu said it in an interview he would not have done it over again if he had he choice. It is no coincidence that many players out there think the same.

mike_oxbig 11-08-2006 03:45 PM

F 30...i wannt retire at 25.

seriously though man, if you can't juggle poker and life, quit poker because there's more important things.

fslexcduck 11-08-2006 03:51 PM

hey mods - can we make a new forum "feelings and reflections on state of life as professional poker player" because i think we could fill it pretty quickly ;-)

aceupthepants 11-08-2006 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
F 30...i wannt retire at 25.

seriously though man, if you can't juggle poker and life, quit poker because there's more important things.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 80 million dollars you can retire yesterday.

AceCR9 11-08-2006 05:19 PM

For those in school(especially if your alomst done) I could use some advice.

I have a semester(maybe plus a class over break) b4 I graduate. I just started making good money this past summer. And now even though I don't play 10+ hrs a day, I really don't care how I do in school anymore. I wasn't a good student to begin with(smart just put in 0 effort my whole life) and now school is more frustration than reward it seems.

On top of that I just got over a bad run for a few weeks. How am I supposed to care whether I did my homework when I just lost 10k+ the night before?

I am almost to the point where I don't want to go next semester, and I want to just go live my life since I haven't been very happy where I am living.

should I stick it out? I am more concerned with my personal happiness than the long term ev

Tien 11-08-2006 05:28 PM

AceCR9

If all you are going to do after dropping out is playing poker.

I highly suggest you suck it up and finish your last semester of school. No point quitting now.

Kilillan 11-08-2006 05:35 PM

why are poker players so emotional?

Shouldn't it be the exact opposite?

AceCR9 11-08-2006 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are poker players so emotional?

[/ QUOTE ]

A. Our lives are consumed w/ poker because they sucked before. For some this is the only thing they have ever been really good/successful at, and thus become extremely attached to it.

B. Our lives are based around a game where we win/lose more in a day or two than millions in the US make in a year