Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Kill Phil in Cash Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=22800)

El Diablo 02-01-2006 03:15 PM

Re: Kill Phil in Cash Games

RB,

I've played a lot of four-handed with him. I generally avoid him when it's 3-handed unless I really want to play with the third player. I think the only simple answer to playing against him is to adjust more frequently, since he's adjusting more frequently than most other opponents. As he starts playing faster, start calling down more, etc. Just hope that you are adjusting quicker than he can re-adjust and things work out OK. I've never tangled with him a lot, but I've held my own. I'm tighter than a lot of players in those games and he knows that very well, so we don't play many big pots.

Gelford 02-01-2006 03:38 PM

I'm not picking on you Bear, I'm just teasing you .. there is a little difference and FWIW I find nothing wrong with running over weak opposition [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

RussianBear 02-01-2006 03:45 PM

Thank you, El D. You're a true gentleman.

RussianBear 02-01-2006 03:54 PM

I didn't think you were picking on me, that was a pathetic attempt at humor on my part. I don't railbird as much as some of the others on 2+2, but I have seen him play and the guy is amazing. I've also seen him implode like none other as well. He seems to be a man of extremes. I'm just like the next guy, an eternal student of the game and so I'm curious as to how guys adjust their games to him since that's what it's about, playing the players. Hasn't KKF had some success against him?

Mason Malmuth 02-01-2006 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tighter than a lot of players in those games and he knows that very well, so we don't play many big pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Everyone:

That's probably a key. Against tough opponents it's difficult to play a lot of hands against them and still hope to do well.

[ QUOTE ]
I've played a lot of four-handed with him. I generally avoid him when it's 3-handed unless I really want to play with the third player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also interesting. It means that some of those weak hands he seems to be betting may have more value than they would in a full game.

Best wishes,
Mason

RussianBear 02-01-2006 05:51 PM

where has he been lately anyhow?

abanger 04-30-2006 07:55 PM

How big of a bankroll would you need if you (successfully) implemented this type of strategy?

P.S. Can we move this thread to Texas Hold'em >> General or Poker >> Poker Theory? It seems better suited there.