Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   My stats over the last 3677 tournaments by 4-hour time blocks (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=12844)

Pokerlogist 02-19-2006 03:54 PM

Re: My stats over the last 3677 tournaments by 4-hour time blocks

I think I have to disagree with this statistical analysis. I'm a professional statistician. Since the sessions were completed by the same player, the ROIs in the conditions are highly related to each other and are not independent. An appropriate test here would be a repeated measures analysis of variance. This test is very sensitive. I don't have time to run the calculations right now. Just based on the means, sample size, and experience, I would strongly expect to find a statistically signficant difference (p<.05)in the mean ROIs among the 4 times of day. There is plenty of sample size here.

Nice thread.

MadTiger 02-19-2006 03:57 PM

Game, Set, and Match.

Saved me some time reading the whole thread.

Blarg 02-19-2006 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well I think surely that's more important than ROI isn't it really? And I ask because having achieved my first 1000 tournaments, I have found that a decent ROI doesn't appear to translate to a decent hourly rate, a thing I don't really understand, so i'd like to see how it matches up for a successful player like yourself... c'mon

[/ QUOTE ]

Well here's the thing, I like to 4-table because I feel that I make better decisions and I enjoy playing much more when I have time to observe players, make copious notes, make read-based plays, etc....it makes me feel like a human being rather than a money-making robot...also I like to chat...also I am much less susceptible to tilt when I play fewer tables...Also I find that I can 4-table continuously almost indefinitely, whereas if I try to 8-table continuously, I get flustered and burnt out after 2-3 hours and have to take a break. Also I only have 1 monitor, and the little tables strain my already-bad eyes. Soooo....my hourly rate is like $22/hr at the $22s.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a second 19 inch CRT monitor for $100 to $200 very easily, and with a decent refresh rate at 1600x1200 too. Even if you only play 4 tables(that's what I do), it's nice to use the other monitor to check out 2+2, surf, etc. Actually you can get them for $100 and less quite often. I'd high recommend it if you're going to be spending that much time in front of the computer.

gisb0rne 02-19-2006 05:03 PM

Is the ratio of buyins the same across all the samples?

ilya 02-19-2006 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the ratio of buyins the same across all the samples?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

but thanks for reminding me about this thread, i need to do an update.

Pokerlogist 02-21-2006 11:41 AM

I had some time to look this over and run some calculations.
Contrary to what I expected, the ROI of 4% at noon is -not- signficantly different from the combined mean ROI ~11% at the other times of day. There needs to be a bigger difference beween the two ROIs or a larger sample size. So I now agree with Izverg's conclusion. Good work.

I hope someone posts more data on this subject. I wonder if we combined samples from several persons whether it would show a significant difference.