Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   First hand at the Final Table - Clash of the Big Stacks (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=1029)

Copernicus 12-26-2005 04:13 PM

Re: First hand at the Final Table - Clash of the Big Stacks

The power of the all-in. You are on an absolute guess on this hand, there are valid arguments for it being overpairs, overcards, flush draws etc. You are in too good shape after a fold to roll the dice here.

I would have preferred a pre-flop re-raise as well. I think it would have clarified things a lot since we have position on the flop.

Double Eagle 12-26-2005 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The power of the all-in. You are on an absolute guess on this hand, there are valid arguments for it being overpairs, overcards, flush draws etc. You are in too good shape after a fold to roll the dice here.

I would have preferred a pre-flop re-raise as well. I think it would have clarified things a lot since we have position on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's an easy fold if he comes back over the top preflop? What if he flat calls, am I not married to the pot on a non A/K flop? I really want to play small ball here if possible...

nath 12-26-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really want to play small ball here if possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more of a reason to check behind on the flop. Nothing wrong with trying to get to the end as cheaply as possible in this spot, even with an overpair.

MLG 12-26-2005 06:27 PM

Why does everybody think betting the flop is such a good idea here?

bugstud 12-26-2005 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really want to play small ball here if possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more of a reason to check behind on the flop. Nothing wrong with trying to get to the end as cheaply as possible in this spot, even with an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting try, but then you're in another tough spot if you still hit a good card and he leads. Given how it played it gives him a shot at his 2 outer, though.

Double Eagle 12-26-2005 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost never check the flop here, but I probably wouldn't raise either, which doesnt make sense. What's the rest of your line?

Ansky 12-26-2005 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think we're deep enough for a check here.

Also, I may be betting any 2 cards here anyway, so I don't like having to showdown such a soft TT.

MLG 12-26-2005 07:47 PM

Basically, if I decided to play a small pot, I'd check the flop and call a bet on most turn cards and then evaluate the river. If it was a safe turn card and he checked I'd then make a value bet.

Its opponent dependant of course as there are plenty of villains who I wouldnt mind playing a big pot with on this flop.

MLG 12-26-2005 07:51 PM

I know you like to call a lot in position and outplay on the flop, but you shouldnt be doing it against the chip leader when you are 2nd in chips at the FT. If you dont have a clear plan of attack for what to do if you're raised then maybe checking is better...if the opponent (in combination with your hand) dictates a clear call or a clear fold then by all means bet.

Double Eagle 12-26-2005 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont have a clear plan of attack for what to do if you're raised then maybe checking is better...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guilty of this a lot. Excellent feedback, thanks.