Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314354)

TheMetetron 01-25-2007 02:31 PM

Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Argentina is definitely the safest South American country

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not quite accurate I believe. General consensus is that Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay are at least as save as Argentina. But this doesn't mean "save" by European standards of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chile and Argentina are both very comparable from what I hear (never been to Chile). I'd imagine they are both fairly safe. Neither of them are as safe as say, Sweden or Denmark, but neither is the United States. I'd say Buenos Aires is roughly as safe, if not safer, than any big city in the United States (New York, LA, etc). I'm not in constant fear like I'd be in Mexico City and for the most part I feel safe walking almost anywhere in the middle of the night; I can't even say that for some cities in the US.

JackOfSpeed 01-25-2007 02:51 PM

Hi Metereon,

Thanks for doing this. Much appreciated.

How would you recommend going about finding a place, especially if we need to start the process from outside of the country? Craigslist Argentina doesn't seem very active. I hate the idea of getting down to Argentina without a place to stay, but I guess if that's what makes the most sense...

Also, do there seem to be opportunities for Americans to teach English in the city, even if our Spanish isn't very good yet? I know that's the case in a lot of other SA countries.

Thanks again for this thread, very helpful material so far.

JackOfSpeed 01-25-2007 03:02 PM

Also, what do you know about "Cordoba Avenue, the area near Abasto;" and "Lezama Park, in the historical neighborhood of San Telmo"?

Thanks again

TheMetetron 01-25-2007 03:03 PM

For finding a place, I'd recommend one of these two web sites:

www.apartmentsba.com

has pretty high quality customer service but they are insanely overpriced. I'd maybe get a place with them for a week or no more than a month if you want to search down here for a place. This will ensure your place is secured from the USA.

www.bytargentina.com

is more reasonably priced, but still not as good as doing it down here through the newspaper or something. Still, it's not bad and where I am renting my place from. The customer service is incredibly bad though. I can't get someone to resend the information about my place no matter how hard I try. Still, if you don't need much help, it's a good option.

There are opportunities for English teachers who don't speak much Spanish. You can do private lessons by taking an ad out through the newspaper and getting student thats way. You can also teach at an academy. Either way you will probably need to take a course that runs about a month long and about $1,000 or so to get certified. It certifies you to teach worldwide, however, so it is fairly useful. Your pay will vary from 20-30 pesos an hour depending on if it's an academy or private and how much experience you have.

TheMetetron 01-25-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what do you know about "Cordoba Avenue, the area near Abasto;" and "Lezama Park, in the historical neighborhood of San Telmo"?

Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

Avenida Cordoba is a fairly major street here that runs from Puerto Madero to Amlagro. I have no idea what Abasto is and as big as that street is, it is hard to say much about it.

Parque Lezama is in San Telmo, very close to the border of La Boca. San Telmo is a bit out there (especially if you want to go to Palermo), but its sort of close to downtown and Puerto Madero. Still, the area you are talking about is closer to La Boca than downtown and I definitely wouldn't want to go anywhere near Boca at night. I haven't been to this park, so I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like somewhere I'd want to live.

MrBlue 01-25-2007 03:26 PM

Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hey Met,

I'm heading down to BA in about 5 weeks. Where are some hot spots nowadays to meet and chat up beautiful girls? Although I can chat up a girl in Spanish, my two friends cannot and would be great if you know some places where girls are known to speak English.

TIA

EvanJC 01-25-2007 03:30 PM

thanks for doing this metetron.

say, hypothetically, that i'm currently playing poker for a living in the U.S. for whatever reason, I decide i want to go visit argentina for 6 months, or 9 months, or whatever it might be. how would i go about getting set up to play at non-usa friendly sites? i saw earlier you recommended getting an account w/a Caribbean island nation. would you have any insight on how to get started with this?

also, how much non-bankroll savings would you recommend bringing with you for, say, a 6th month stay, assuming you'd have positive cash flow at some point? just the standard 3 month living expenses?

thanks

TheMetetron 01-25-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Met,

I'm heading down to BA in about 5 weeks. Where are some hot spots nowadays to meet and chat up beautiful girls? Although I can chat up a girl in Spanish, my two friends cannot and would be great if you know some places where girls are known to speak English.

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest hot spot is Opera Bay on Saturday nights. It's in Puerto Madero and is modeled after the Sydney Opera House. It's fairly massive and expensive by Argentine standards 30 pesos/$10 to get in and 10 pesos/$3 for a drink. For that reason it tends to attract rich local girls (who are usually more attractive than poor local girls) as well as tourists/expats. You will definitely meet people who speak English there for your friends. I wouldn't recommend showing up before 1 AM and plan to go outside to watch the sunrise and leave around 6-8 AM.

TheMetetron 01-25-2007 03:38 PM

EvanJC,

I don't really know how it would work for being able to play at Non-USA sites. I took care of all of that in Sweden and just presented lease agreements. I imagine the same thing would work here.

As for Caribbean accounts, I have no idea. I use my Swiss account. I'd try just emailing/calling different banks in the Caymans and see what they say.

For a 6 month stay, I'd say you probably want $6,000 saved up + rent for the 6 months outside of your bankroll. But I'm also pretty cautious when it comes to these things. You could lose your entire bankroll this way and still be able to live here for the entire 6 months.

MrBlue 01-25-2007 03:47 PM

Thanks! We'll definitely check that place out.