Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Who is the worst GM is pro sports history? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558386)

B00T 12-01-2007 02:41 AM

Re: Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

another vote for Milbury but the majority of this forum will not understand the magnitude of what triumph outlined

kyleb 12-01-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like NYK-era Isiah Thomas can't be topped, but Kevin McHale, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness to Isiah - he has drafted well, and he came into an awful situation. He just made that situation ten times more awful.

edit - i'm not a knicks fan really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is my contention with him. He came into a bad situation and take a huge [censored] on it. That is absolutely ridiculous.

SuperUberBob 12-01-2007 02:51 AM

I'm somewhat surprised that nobody aside from myself has mentioned Harry Frazee, the man who traded away Babe Ruth for $100,000. The guy passed up on Shoeless Joe Jackson + money for Ruth in lieu of cash.

$100,000 and nearly 90 years of pain and agony.

Bremen 12-01-2007 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ED WADE easily, god he was terrible with the phillies and he is terrible with the astros now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, while I'm inclined to agree with you, it's too small of a sample size and not enough damage done.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, Ed Wade was far from a horrible GM. The team actually got better under his watch. He also house cleaned the guys managing the Phillies farm system. Half the current team came through that farm system!! (ok not exactly half, nit). His trades and FA leave something to be desired. This hardly detracts from the most important point that the team got better while he was in charge.

kyleb 12-01-2007 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm somewhat surprised that nobody aside from myself has mentioned Harry Frazee, the man who traded away Babe Ruth for $100,000. The guy passed up on Shoeless Joe Jackson + money for Ruth in lieu of cash.

$100,000 and nearly 90 years of pain and agony.

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us hate boston

Bremen 12-01-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some of us hate boston

[/ QUOTE ]
meh, the girls at CBP for the Sox games were so much hotter than the Yankees. Ya gotta have priorities after all.

Franchise 60 12-01-2007 03:15 AM

As much as I hate Isiah as a Knicks fan, he takes too much blame for the current situation.

In the NBA there is nothing worse than being a team immensely over the cap with horrible contracts that refuses to rebuild. I hope he gets fired tomorrow, but I don't begin to have the futile beliefs that once he is gone the problems will be gone. Dolan won't rebuild, so the Knicks won't ever get out of this situation, regardless of the GM.

Its a bad call to give an NBA GM worst GM in history status if they come into a horrible situation, because its so hard to rebuild in the NBA with the way the salary cap is structured if you have horrible contracts.

I'm now gonna go lash myself for somewhat defending Isiah Thomas.

gehrig 12-01-2007 03:23 AM

i bet theres a bunch of MLB GMs from like the 40s that make chuck lamar look like a genius

Triumph36 12-01-2007 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i bet theres a bunch of MLB GMs from like the 40s that make chuck lamar look like a genius

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah seriously. the phillies and red sox had awful streaks through their history where not only were they bad, they were bad every year for a decade.

surprised i am the first to mention cam bonifay, although people might forget that the pittsburgh pirates are a major league franchise

Pudge714 12-01-2007 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hawk Harrelson /thread

[/ QUOTE ]
He was a GM? Honestly as terrible as Mike Millbury is I can't imagine anyone in the world would be a worst GM than Hawk Harrelson?