Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Describe the Lounge (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536945)

Mat Sklansky 11-03-2007 11:30 AM

Re: Describe the Lounge

polite is a relative term on this site.

the lounge is polite.

i like it.

diebitter 11-03-2007 11:41 AM

I like the words cordial, civil, respectful, polite, but they all sound a little aloof.

Here's what the thesaurus says for 'cordial'

accordant, agreeing, amiable, brotherly, civil, clubby, concordant, cordial, courteous, cozy, empathic, fraternal, good-humored, harmonious, kind, kindly, like-minded, mellow, neighborly, pacific, peaceable, peaceful, polite, regular, sociable, sympathetic, understanding

I kind of like amiable.

MrWookie 11-03-2007 11:49 AM

Katy,

I'm not quite as big a fan of "civil." "Civil" seems like a word to describe the behavior or relationship between enemies, whether on opposites sides of debate, divorce, diplomacy. "The two of them hate each other's guts, but they keep things civil in front of the kids." Now, when things get political in here every now and then, "civil" is a great word to describe the decorum, but I kinda prefer "polite" or "cordial" for the more prevalent atmosphere here.

Duke 11-03-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think the word "polite" might be a turnoff? I prefer the word "civil" myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that a generally good thing might be too offensive, so replacing it with a more generic identifier might be a little more polite?

(polite)^2?

Dominic 11-03-2007 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think the word "polite" might be a turnoff? I prefer the word "civil" myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that a generally good thing might be too offensive, so replacing it with a more generic identifier might be a little more polite?

(polite)^2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not very polite. But I'm working on it.

SoloAJ 11-03-2007 12:29 PM

This thread has put the thought into my head of "What if we had an influx of obnoxious idiots in the Lounge" and it scared me a little bit. Please make the slogan such that this won't happen. K thanks.

diebitter 11-03-2007 12:33 PM

How about:

The Lounge: Relaxed and polite discussion. A haven for like minded people who want to discuss arts, entertainment, the good life, good food, photography, current news and other items of interest. Idiots can eff off.

SoloAJ 11-03-2007 12:35 PM

Like a moth to a flame...

daveT 11-03-2007 01:18 PM

Typical First response to a post:

BBV4Life: First!
EDF: This could become an interesting thread. Will follow.
OOT: Please use the search function. We just talked about this two months ago.
Lounge: Well.......

Expected length of posts:

BBV4Life: 5 words max
OOT: 5-35 words
EDF: 35-300
Lounge: 300 minimum.

I like Diebitters irony. We are so nice, non-pretentious, civil and humble: eff off idiot!

That does wrap it up nicely.

Blarg 11-03-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

I'm not quite as big a fan of "civil." "Civil" seems like a word to describe the behavior or relationship between enemies, whether on opposites sides of debate, divorce, diplomacy. "The two of them hate each other's guts, but they keep things civil in front of the kids." Now, when things get political in here every now and then, "civil" is a great word to describe the decorum, but I kinda prefer "polite" or "cordial" for the more prevalent atmosphere here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Polite can be taken to mean too constrained, but civil makes it sounds more like you're constrained because you're on the verge of throttling somebody. Barely voluntary, kinda. There may or may not be a better word than polite, but civil doesn't hit the note we're going for.