Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much do you want to be a few inches taller... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=234419)

man 10-12-2006 01:52 PM

Re: How much do you want to be a few inches taller...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's not that you can't do these things if you're tall, it's just that you're at a disadvantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm 6'2" and midgets blow past me in the 100m dash.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
what I was saying is that taller people are at a disadvantage (read: they're usually slower than people of average height), not that there is an inversely proportional correlation between height and speed.

MrWookie 10-12-2006 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7...loiwishco7.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

CrazyEyez 10-12-2006 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what I was saying is that taller people are at a disadvantage (read: they're usually slower than people of average height), not that there is an inversely proportional correlation between height and speed.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what is the specific height at which increased drag outweighs longer stride?

IronDragon1 10-12-2006 02:09 PM

I would strongly consider lengthening procedures to get me 2-3 extra inches (I'm like 5'7" and a half or so)

Alobar 10-12-2006 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty happy with 5'9". I think being taller would get in the way of things I like to do like running and climbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how being tall could possibly get in the way of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]
you probably don't do much of either of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does being tall put you at a disadvantage for climbing?
Sure if you are short with an ape index of +8 ure better off, (but then ure like a monkey, heh) but Id gladly be 6'1" as a climber rather than 5'9"

man 10-12-2006 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So what is the specific height at which increased drag outweighs longer stride?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. but the average physique for world-class milers is 5'9" and 145 pounds. world-class marathoners are a bit shorter, like 5'7" on average. the best distance runner in history haile gebrslaisse is 5'3" I believe.

I don't know the figures for climbers, but ed viesturs is a tall mountaineer at 5'10".

not saying tall people can't be fast or good climbers but I think if you stretched me out I'd be a lot worse at both.

Aloysius 10-12-2006 02:16 PM

Average male height in China - 5'7" (but S. Korea is 5'8" holla) - Link

I'm 6' tall, wouldn't mind a couple more inches.

This height lengthening thing doesn't surprise me. Asians are retarded and superficial. There was an article like in 2002 about "calf-shaving" for S. Korean women, it was in WSJ. (S. Korean women can have thick calves, also bow-legged.) The quotes from the women, post-op, were crazy, stuff like "sure I can't walk up and down stairs normally ever again, but my legs look great!".

[ QUOTE ]
Do you shorter guys actualy get shut down by chicks for being short alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Klompy, you must have no short male friends. Also I've heard women say it's definitely a deal breaker (cuz they like to wear the heels).

-Al

almostbusto 10-12-2006 02:18 PM

i am somewhere between 5'9" and 5'11" i have no idea my exact height. i have only checked my height twice in the last five years and i think it read one number one time and one number the other times. i think 5'11" was the first reading and both measurements took place long after i stopped growing.

which kind of shows how little i care about my height. i could gain or lose 2 or 3 inches and not care. its funny how everyone seems to want to be a little taller or the same height, but no one wants to be shorter. even 6'5" guys who are probably in the upper 2-5%.

IronDragon1 10-12-2006 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Average male height in China - 5'7" (but S. Korea is 5'8" holla) - Link

I'm 6' tall, wouldn't mind a couple more inches.

This height lengthening thing doesn't surprise me. Asians are retarded and superficial. There was an article like in 2002 about "calf-shaving" for S. Korean women, it was in WSJ. (S. Korean women can have thick calves, also bow-legged.) The quotes from the women, post-op, were crazy, stuff like "sure I can't walk up and down stairs normally ever again, but my legs look great!".

[ QUOTE ]
Do you shorter guys actualy get shut down by chicks for being short alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Klompy, you must have no short male friends. Also I've heard women say it's definitely a deal breaker (cuz they like to wear the heels).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is an and of itself worthy of a thread-despite the fact that only 5 or so posters will actually participate in a meaningful way.

man 10-12-2006 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty happy with 5'9". I think being taller would get in the way of things I like to do like running and climbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how being tall could possibly get in the way of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]
you probably don't do much of either of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does being tall put you at a disadvantage for climbing?
Sure if you are short with an ape index of +8 ure better off, (but then ure like a monkey, heh) but Id gladly be 6'1" as a climber rather than 5'9"

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it has to do with leverage and weight. you need more energy to do a pull up if your arm is 3' long instead of 2.5'. plus there are lots of gymnastic and crouching moves that are much easier if you're smaller. just speculating on observations though. I've seen some damn fine tall climbers. but not many.